Kitty litter deodorizers? Safe? o.O - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Kitty litter deodorizers? Safe? o.O

I've been seeing little deodorizer "crystals" for sale for well,deodorizing litter boxes..are they safe?
I've always tried to get unscented litter,thinking kitties didn't like scents?/they were harmful to the immune system..?
How do these "crystals" even work? O.o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello Earthling

I am not sure if they work or not but I personally wouldn't use them.

Baking soda does a pretty good job with odors, as well as frequent cleaning.

I don't use an scented litters for Amadeus since I think it I was a cat I wouldn't want to be peeing in something that smells like flowers. And the smell would be very strong to them since they'll have their face right in it.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.I was thinking anything scented was bad on the immune system for the lil furballs anyway...maybe certain chemicals added could irritate their paws?
I use scoopable litter w/ my 2...that keeps the litterbox smelling acceptable @ least...just scoop out the clumps daily ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Hello Earthling

I use Swheat, clumping cat litter with Amadeus since I refuse to use clay because of the impact clay has on his health and my heath, and because it is environmentally harmful.

Swheat is wheat based and it covers the smell pretty good. I scoop the littler box every few days and it usually never smells in less he has just gone.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

I have used a product called Odor-Z-Way that is a crystal and it works excellent. This product has no odor and is completely safe for your cats. I have spoke with the manufacturer directly about this. This product also extends the life of your cat litter immensely, so you do not have to spend so much money on cat litter. If the smell starts coming back in the litter box then you just want to add a little more Odor-Z-Way and the smell is gone in 5 minutes. You can also remove stains with this product as well making it a multipurpose product. Its really amazing. Check it out, I have never used a product that was better than this product.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmm,I'll look into it.I scoop my litterbox daily,more than once,whenever I spot something to be honest...the litterbox is kept in the bathroom closest to our bedroom (which is the "main" bathroom)...& the kitties are fixed,so not much of a smell most times . I'm worried over using products period when it comes to the health of my pets...I know theres a ton of pet products out there,not all are safe.

@Davies: Do you just sprinkle the crystals in the litterbox on top of the litter?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I just sprinkled the crystals over top of the cats litter and blended them in a little bit with my scooper. Also, from the research I have done, the company claims that the crystals are completely pet safe. I have not seen any type of health problems with my cats since I started using this product. I still think that you should do your own research though, so you know for yourself.

Tags
litter boxes, um...