Kitty litter HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Kitty litter HELP

My kitty litter box is in my bedroom well because my roommate would have it no other way. The last kitty litter didnt do its job keeping the oder down. I need some good brands. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Maggie's litter box is also in my bedroom & I use Tidy Cats Multiplt Cat formua with crustal beads, it's in a clear container (the crystal beads are supposed to neutralized the urine I believe).
It works very well for me!

ALso when you clean the litter box you can try sprinkling baking soda in the bottom of the litter pan before putting th elitter in... I have heard that works well also in combination with a good littler
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

does it clump? i really want that litter box thats all electronic a scoops the stuff away... I get home late and cleaning out the litter box is up there with doing the dishes in my least faverite house hold chores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

yep it is clumping & I clean my box ever other day or so. I don't smell anything.

I too have thought about those self cleaners... but am hesitant because I heard a while back that sometimes the sensor can be off on them & a cats leg "could" get caught- I honestly don't know if there is truth in that, but would rather not tempt fate.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

my best friend has on and they love it. ALSO my roommate's friend is one of the engineers that recently modified it, its safer.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

it might be worth looking into! Sure would make life easier huh!

Now if only they would invent a self cleaning house & self cleaning clothes!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

lol im sure in 20 years we'll all have robots.

Oh yeah and i was looking at petcos websight this actually cracked me up
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow! That toilet training product looks interesting! Someone should buy it and report how it works!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

im kinda interested too, so if anyone has used it let us know!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 PM

The automatic litter boxes are awful! Mine is now in my basement with good ridance. It does nothing for keeping the smell down at all and cleaning it at least twice a month takes forever. I have another automatic litter box but it was very expensive $400.00 expensive. That one works great but my husband hates the fact that the poop sits there so now we are back to scooping a regular litter box and use a "Litter Locker" which does pretty well keeping the smell down.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Part of the Pack

I have the Litermaid automatic litter box and it's horrible. You have to use premium clumping litter and even with that everytime it cleans it, it makes a mess. I just end up cleaning it out myself. I use The Worlds best litter (what an orinal name) and I think it's great. It traps all the smell in and it clumps at the top so that nothing sticks to the bottom. It's kind of expensive but I think it's worth it.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Dena whats a litter locker?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Part of the Pack

I have the litter locker as well. Its a little container that has a bag and you just scoop and dump the poop and litter into the box. Then you turn the handle and it wraps it up. I have two cats and I've found that the bag gets full and my husband has to cut the bag and start over. I wish they made bigger litter lockres for multi cat homes! I think it does work great for keeping the smell out.

I've had the littermaid and the purrforma automatic litter boxes and low and behold we are back to using the cheap boxes. The Littermaid broke on us and the Purrforma never really worked right.

We use a product that we found at the petstore that you shake ontop of the fresh litter and it keeps the smell of urine to a minimal. Plus it has a lovely smell to it. It's called Fresh-N-Clean. We were using Natur'es Miracle, but I found that to be quite expensive and didn't do what I wanted it too.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

ok will not get the litter maid... does not work... thats disapointing... grr... I actually got better at cleaning the box, I am on of those people that has a gagging fit when i clean it out. I try and clean it out everyday but lately with my school schedual it gets cleaned about 2 to 3 times a weeks I ussally empty it on friday when I go home (have another litter box at my parents house) and refill it sunday evening when I get home. I bleach it out at least once a month and soak the filter (the top thing). I have liners too. I dont know if I should bleach it out more, but I figured since I have the plastic liners it would be ok.

One of the kitty litters I used was one with blue specks in i think it was a fresh step but when I poured it all this dust came up. That was quite discusting, and it made me cough, then my house smelt like it which wasnt too bad . I have one of the jugs from pet-co that I refill when they dont have a sale on litter (college student and all can't spend a whole lot on something I am just going to throw away. I was told that iIshould do half ceader stuff and half clumping litter stuff. What do you guys think of that??

Sorry had to edit, too many typos

Last edited by Trickiesmurf; 05-02-2005 at 04:49 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Part of the Pack

Hi,

I was actually looking for cat furniture today and I came accross this site

http://www.petsupplyguy.com/catalog/

it has a litter box container.. I'm not sure how it does with the smell but it looks pretty good. The box is out of view and the cat goes through the container to get the the litter box.

Oh it actually is a bit expensive, $140.00 but maybe someone could make something like this fairly cheap. It shows a pic of the inside and out.

Tags
kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan