Kitty Litter Quandary - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Kitty Litter Quandary

When I first got Pixel, my boyfriend had bought Fresh Step cat litter. When she started coughing and sneezing, I was afraid that the litter might be aggravating the problem. So I did some research, and started using Swheat because everyone was raving about it. Pixel and I both seemed to like it for about four weeks. I had been cleaning out her litter box each night before bed. Well, come dead week at the end of the semester, I didn't go to sleep for three days. I completely lost track of time, I didn't clean out the box, and Pixel pooped on the floor. Ok, so it was my fault, I cleaned it up, end of problem.

About a week later, she poops on the floor again, in a different spot! And this time the box was clean. She kept doing this more and more often for about a month. She never peed outside the box, just poop. The poop wasn't always in the same spots, but it was always within two feet of her box. And sometimes her box was completely clean and she would do this. I tried different amounts of litter in it, but that didn't make a difference. So I decided to try a different litter. This time we tried Tidy Cats. This didn't stop her, plus it is dusty and smelly.

Ok. So then I'm thinking maybe it's the box. So I buy a huge new litter box, and pick up the old Swheat. Just to have another option, I tell my boyfriend to pick up some cheap litter just to have as an alternative. So i set out her old box with the Tidy Cats, the huge new one with the Swheat, and a little dishpan with Cat's Pride. Fortunately, she has not pooped on the floor since. However, to my surprise, she has been using the tiny little dishpan full of Cat's Pride.

Do you guys think it's the litter or the box that she prefers? And if it's the litter, is this an ok-quality litter to use? I've honestly never heard of it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Did you wash the original box with anything? Sometimes the cleaners are too strong for them. Perhaps too the location of the smaller box as opposed to the larger one? I am not familar with Cat's Pride either. What is it composed of?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The only thing I washed the box with was hot water, and the three boxes are all in a row

Oddly, it didn't say on the Cat's Pride box what it was made from, but this is what it says on their website "Cat's Pride® clay cat litters are made from naturally absorbent clay minerals with safe, non-toxic ingredients." The box emphasizes the lack of chemicals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I use a non-clumping clay type litter with low dust content and my cats like it. I bought a clumping type once and I swear they were so close to using the bathroom on the floor ... They really hated the clumping litter.

Sometimes cats seem to prefer one litter box over another. If my cats had to choose, Gerona would probably first go to my large non-hood litter box and Galina would go to the tiny one that I used for them when they were babies and couldn't crawl into the big ones. Their least favourite is the hooded one located in the bathroom. Gerona is all right with it, but I know Galina isn't that fond of it at all. They use it as long as it it scooped MORE than just daily. I also take the hood off for about an hour each day to let any smells air out. That makes them like it a little more, too.

So, it could be the litter or it could be the box or both! Try switching up boxes and litters and see what happens.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lol ok i guess i'll just keep trying!
i have her down to the large litter box with the swheat, because that's what i like best. she hasn't had an accident yet!

Tags
litter box