Kitty losing weight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Kitty losing weight

My kitty has been vomiting for a couple of days, and today we noticed blood in it. He went straight to the vet. She wasn't too concerned with the vomit (by not too concerned, she put him on two different kinds of medication that he needs to get three times a day for a week, but he should recover), but during the exam, she weighed him. He's lost 1/2 a pound since the last time he was in two months ago. He's already too thin, now he's dropped below 9 pounds. She's doing a full workup, so I'll know tomorrow if there's a medical reason for this.

The other possibility is that he's just not eating enough. He's a really finicky eater and I have trouble finding things he likes. Once I do find something he'll eat, that will only last for a couple of weeks before he decides he doesn't like it anymore. He's on prescription dry food, so I can't really change that. (He does pretty good with that.) I try to supplement his calories with wet food. Does anyone have any suggestions for a wet food or other food supplements that will put some weight on a picky eater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mom has a problem with her cats being picky eaters but it sounds like you don't have much of a choice since you're feeding prescription food.

I hope it's nothing serious. Let us know what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

He's got to eat the prescription dry food, but I'm allowed to supplement it with other stuff to keep his weight up.

Side note, the vet didn't want him to eat anything for 24 hours, and he's begging for food. It's breaking my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I just heard from the vet, and Smoke's tests came back okay. So I just need to find a way to fatten him up and he'll be fine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 PM

I'm so happy to hear your kitty is ok Good luck getting some weight on him!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yay! I'm glad that it's just him being picky!

Rhonda

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. We have to take him back in again in 2 weeks to make sure he hasn't dropped any more. If he has, there may be something going on with his stomach, but at least it's not organ failure or something serious.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
SwC

Has he been tested for thyroid disease? Vomiting and loss of weight is also a sign of this due to the high metabolism it creates. If the vomiting has subsided and he is eating well but continues to loose then it's something they should definitely test for. If so then it can be treated. Also if your vet agrees maybe mix a bit of the growth or kitty formula of what ever specific brand food he is on. It may help with the weight loss if your vet thinks he can tolerate it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

They did a full blood panel, so I'm assuming they tested the thyroid. If he's lost any more weight when I take him back again, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Miss New Booty

My first thought was if they checked for any thyriod issues, too. I would still inquire about it also when you go and see what your vet thinks, if more tests would need to be done, etc. Glad they did a CBC and so happy everything checked out ok with Smoke!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:49 AM
SwC

I'd still ask if a thyroid panel was done as thyroid isnt part of a CBC (complete blood count). CBC checks the white and red blood cells primarily (size, oxygen carrying capacity, left/right shifts, immunity etc). It's a seperate blood test not at all related to thyroid.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

My cat has trouble keeping weight but she's diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Anyway, maybe you can find two kinds of food that'll help him gain weight that the vet approves and you can switch between them when he goes a few weeks and then said 'aww not this old stuff' best of luck getting him to put on a few pounds.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely ask about the thyroid test. They put him on some medicine for his tummy, but the day after I took him off of it, he vomited a big hairball with a spot of blood right next to it about the size of a silver dollar. I put him back on the medicine and I have to take him back into the vet. The odd thing is, he doesn't act like he's not feeling well. He's eating, drinking, playing, etc.

Tags
dry food, wet food