Kitty Meds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Kitty Meds

Does anyone have a good trick to giving a cat medication, Friday we had to bring Philly to the vet and shes now on medication, for 10 days she has to take them twice a day, she has to take floravet in caplet form which is easy to break open and poor the poweder that the pill has out and shes taking metronidazole in liquid form that we have a syringe type thing that u use for babys to give medication with in there mouth i dont know the proper name for it. But anyways if we put the medication into phillys water or food she wont touch it, weve tried putting it into treats to she wont touch it either. so weve had to hold her in a towel to get the medication into her mouth problem is philly is agressive and a little nuts when it comes to her medication so its hard to give her to start with and heaven forbid she gets one of our fingers, or hands as she has a few times now, cuz then she doesnt let go and we have to open her mouth to get our fingers and hand free. Does anyone else have a suggestion to giving her medication ??

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 06-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Have you ever heard not to feed your cat tuna or other smelly fish because its addicting? Well here is where it comes in handy.

I had a litter of 12 wk olds. They came to me abused and full of issues and had to take a dewormer. Here is what I did.

When I had tuna, I'd grind up the pills (one dose at a time) in one of those bowls with a stick and put it in some tuna. My bowl was smooth so that helped. I'd then mash the tuna with my fingers. When I didn't have tuna, I'd drizzle it with another strong fish oil like salmon or sardine oil and put it on a small piece of bread. The tuna was much more effective. You however could easily just break open a pill into canned food or a bit of tuna.

You can do the same with an oral syringe but stronger smelling fish would come in here. You can try booby trapping something awesome like a small bit of tuna mixed in with that stuff. More tuna so she doesn't taste it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
Have you ever heard not to feed your cat tuna or other smelly fish because its addicting? Well here is where it comes in handy.

I had a litter of 12 wk olds. They came to me abused and full of issues and had to take a dewormer. Here is what I did.

When I had tuna, I'd grind up the pills (one dose at a time) in one of those bowls with a stick and put it in some tuna. My bowl was smooth so that helped. I'd then mash the tuna with my fingers. When I didn't have tuna, I'd drizzle it with another strong fish oil like salmon or sardine oil and put it on a small piece of bread. The tuna was much more effective. You however could easily just break open a pill into canned food or a bit of tuna.

You can do the same with an oral syringe but stronger smelling fish would come in here. You can try booby trapping something awesome like a small bit of tuna mixed in with that stuff. More tuna so she doesn't taste it.
unfortunatley philly doesnt eat anything that smells like fish >_<
she also wont eat anything that is humain food, shes an odd kitty but thank you for trying to help, Iv been trying to get her to eat it in her wet food with no luck so far, i cant wait till shes done her meds sunday.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Tags
kitty meds