The kitty version of ... Home Alone? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

The kitty version of ... Home Alone?

Okay. In February I am taking a trip back to Louisiana (leaving on the 17th and will be back at 2PM on the 27th, so it's 10 days). The dogs each have someone to stay with and are not a problem. But the cats, however, are.

Gerona probably wouldn't care about going to someone's house while I am gone--she did it once before in Louisiana when I went to Finland for a few days and was fine. Galina, however, is another story. She HATES strangers and new places. I really must put emphasis on HATE. She would die if I sent her to a stranger's house.

Our neighbours have offered to come over twice a day to feed the kitties and give them water. I'm seriously thinking about having them do this. It would be MUCH less stressful on Galina. I would put out two extra litter boxes and pretty much EMPTY the main part of the house so they can't get into too much mischief. I'll also be asking a friend of our's that is keeping Seamus to come over every few days and check up on the cats' health and so on.

What do you guys think? I'm sure most people wouldn't recommended leaving them in a house by themselves, but they have each other for company and health-wise it would be better for Galina. And I would be calling the neighbours every other day to get kitty updates.

We have no hazardous plants in the house or toxic chemicals. Our cats do not chew on electrical cords and most cords are hidden, anyway. The worst they could possibly do is knock things down from the countertops, which will be cleaned before we leave. And scratch up the couch and carpets while I'm away (even though they have TWO kitty scratchers, it just doesn't beat the couch and carpets).

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I would have the neighbor come and feed them. That's what I do. They've always been fine. Just make sure to leave a vet number for them, and funds if they aren't the kind of people to pay up front for you. Just be prepared for them acting like you don't exsist when you get back

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't see a problem leaving cats home alone as long as someone is coming over to check on them everyday and making sure their food and water dishes are full.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm glad to know you've done it before, Lizz.

Did you come home to a war zone from kitty destruction?

Since our vet is in Vantaa (an hour's drive), I would leave the local Riihimäki vet's number with them and my number of contact in Louisiana along with my address--just in case.

Money wise, I think I'd leave money with the person who is caring for Seamus and tell the neighbours that if anything happens to the cats, to call her and she'd come take care of the vet bills. That way, they won't have to pay a bill upfront and I won't have to leave money out. But we'll see.

Thanks for the advice.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Red face

This doesn't apply to cats, but my friend and I once took care of two dogs for a week. They were in their house, we took them on four walks a day and they were fine. As long as your cats have something to do, it should be fine.
Oh, another thing, my friend takes care of her neighbor's cats once in awhile when they go on vacation, and the cats are always fine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Edit:

I asked Sami about the money, and he said that if the vet needs money, all someone has to do is call him in Louisiana and tell him and he'll transfer the needed funds into the vet account (through internet banking).

I think this is a good way to do it, too.

(And it's allowed in Finland, in case anyone thinks that wouldn't work. The vets don't mind if you explain the situation to them. You just have to get the account number of the vet. )

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

hey rowan. i think they'll be just fine. if someone is checking up on them a couple of times a day (cking the actual cats, not just feeding and watering them), then i'd say don't worry about it. leave the vet number and address, though. but i would do it. i did that with the dogs one day (they have the doggy door).

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

My parents always did this with our cats growing up and we never really had any problems. Well ok, once we were gone about ten days, and apparently somehow our indoor cat got fleas and our neighbor didn't notice it. By the time we got home, the house was covered in them and we had to take Bebop and evacuate
But that is a one in a million I'm sure!
I've also babysat for my neighbor's cat here at school and he seems happy with it. If you're worried about your neighbors not being able to make it every day, you can get an automatic cat feeder and drinking fountain. And if you're really really worried about them, you can set up a webcam to monitor them!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

I doubt fleas would be a problem at all. It's winter here (fleas just can't hack it) and we've never had a flea problem in the past.

In Louisiana, though, I was ALWAYS having a flea problem. The poor cats had so many flea treatments before coming to Finland they really smelled funky on the plane. But, we arrived flea-free and have stayed that way (knock on wood).

Jane, it won't be hard for the neighbours to check on Gerona, but it might be a little difficult for them to check up on Galina. She will hide as soon as she sees them and she is VERY difficult to find. That's why I think I'll be asking the person who is watching Seamus (Mirka) to go over to our house every other day or so just to check on Galina. Galina knows her a LITTLE and might not dart for cover as quickly. Also, Mirka is not intimidated by Galina's growling and spitting like everyone else.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I think you have a great plan. I personally always leave the cats and have someone look after them. Its much less stress on the cats and they like to be home and in their environment. Gab freaks out when we take her places. When we moved, we brought her to the new house last and she was terrified and was in hiding for like a week. I think leaving them in their usual surroundings is best.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
I'm glad to know you've done it before, Lizz.

Did you come home to a war zone from kitty destruction?

They are usually pretty good actually. JUst be sure to empty all garbages before leaving and have nothing out that shouldn't be. O, toliet paper is sometimes a victim! They'll be fine!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
indoor cat, litter box, litter boxes