Kitty on the way!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Talking Kitty on the way!!!!

It has been decided! The boyfriend and I are getting a kitty sometime VERY soon! Of course we have been talking about it for a good long while, and yesterday things came to a decision. For some reason I looked up the animal shelter nearby and was looking at their pictures of their cats. My boyfriend's cat just passed away a couple months ago (he had Meow Mix since he was 3 ish, his first memory is going to pick him out. He also has said that there were various points in his life when his best friend was his cat. Needless to say he's been missing a fluff ball in his life for a while now). It has been really hard on him.

The big issues were 1) we're leaving in fall for Denmark for a coupld months and 2) this house is owned by his parents, and we didn't know how they would feel about it. After a while of talking about pos-neg things about having a kitty, I decided that if his mom said ok then we would get one.

He calls his mom, and awkwardly brings up the fact that we have been thinking about a cat. She then proceeds to tell him that his sister in Arizona has a cat (that none of them knew about for a long time, lol). He said she was hesitant, and then asked the question, "who will take care of them when you both are gone?" and he said, "well, we thought you could take him.....?"

At that point his mom was ecstatic and said of course. So, hooray! Obviously the need for kitty lovin, especially since Meow Mix died has reached through this family. I am so glad that they are animal people too

So, the search begins next week! We are baby sitting my doggie Sunny this week, and then after that we will start the search! His mom even offered to come up to help us pick one out

We want an adult cat, maybe not necessarily an adult but definitely not a kitten. I would love to, but I don't think we have the time or patience to deal with a baby.

Helpful advice would be awesome! I've never had a cat before, but we've decided that we will be putting in a kitty door to the garage (its all a one story house) and putting the litter box in there. Is that a good idea? Also, has anyone dealt with bringing an adult cat into a home? How long should we let her settle in before letting her outside? And how can we pick the best cat for us when all we have to experience is the sterile environment of the shelter?

ANY and ALL advice would be helpful!!! Thanks so much guys. I'm so excited!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!!! But IMO it may be better to wait until your return from your trip before adopting a cat or another animal. Less stress on the cat with you leaving and the cat may bond with someone other then you.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
It has been decided! The boyfriend and I are getting a kitty sometime VERY soon! Of course we have been talking about it for a good long while, and yesterday things came to a decision. For some reason I looked up the animal shelter nearby and was looking at their pictures of their cats. My boyfriend's cat just passed away a couple months ago (he had Meow Mix since he was 3 ish, his first memory is going to pick him out. He also has said that there were various points in his life when his best friend was his cat. Needless to say he's been missing a fluff ball in his life for a while now). It has been really hard on him.

The big issues were 1) we're leaving in fall for Denmark for a coupld months and 2) this house is owned by his parents, and we didn't know how they would feel about it. After a while of talking about pos-neg things about having a kitty, I decided that if his mom said ok then we would get one.

He calls his mom, and awkwardly brings up the fact that we have been thinking about a cat. She then proceeds to tell him that his sister in Arizona has a cat (that none of them knew about for a long time, lol). He said she was hesitant, and then asked the question, "who will take care of them when you both are gone?" and he said, "well, we thought you could take him.....?"

At that point his mom was ecstatic and said of course. So, hooray! Obviously the need for kitty lovin, especially since Meow Mix died has reached through this family. I am so glad that they are animal people too

So, the search begins next week! We are baby sitting my doggie Sunny this week, and then after that we will start the search! His mom even offered to come up to help us pick one out

We want an adult cat, maybe not necessarily an adult but definitely not a kitten. I would love to, but I don't think we have the time or patience to deal with a baby.

Helpful advice would be awesome! I've never had a cat before, but we've decided that we will be putting in a kitty door to the garage (its all a one story house) and putting the litter box in there. Is that a good idea? Also, has anyone dealt with bringing an adult cat into a home? How long should we let her settle in before letting her outside? And how can we pick the best cat for us when all we have to experience is the sterile environment of the shelter?

ANY and ALL advice would be helpful!!! Thanks so much guys. I'm so excited!!
I agree - wait until you guys come back. After being in a shelter, being brought into someone's home is very stressful, and the cat would probably bond with someone other than you guys. An adult especially will be VERY nervous.

Depending on where you live, I personally wouldn't suggest letting it have free-roam; there's cars, stray dogs, and potentially toxic plants in a city-like or suburban area. Plus, people in close quarters might decide to take your cat inside, and you otherwise would have no clue. You can get cat enclosures to give them access to the outside and sunlight, but in limited quarters, and you can also check out "Purrfect Fencing", it's a type of fencing made to keep cats in your yard and prevent them from getting outside of it. Less dangers that way. And also, cats are social critters, adopting two would decrease its nervousness about being in a new place and lessen the emotional trauma. That said, if you're still going to let it out and about, you'd want to make sure it's had a good long time in the home to establish its territory, and probably a few times a week take it outside under supervision so it can scent-mark the outside of your home so it's able to come back when you let it free-roam outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh I missed the part on the cat being outdoor. I would suggest keeping it inside at all times or building an outdoor enclosure. There are so many dangers outside that a cat could get itself into. Just today I saw a cat dead on the side of the road from being hit by a vehicle. It was obviously someones pet and it could have been saved if the owners had just kept it inside or had an enclosure.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think it will be okay, since we will try and integrate kitty slowly into his mom's house. They only live about an hour and a half away, so it is often that we go down there. Hopefully we can bring kitty down there a good amount of times so she feels comfortable down there. I also wouldn't mind if she gets attached to his mom, as I'm sure she will because they were kitty spoilers! Haha. There is also a chance she could stay at this same house, with the same roommates we live with now.

I also am a bit hesitant about having her be partially outdoors, because of said issues. I do realize that it a bit of a controversial topic I guess. I do feel bad for indoor kitties though.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Tell me about it - my mom adopted her friend's cat who was predominantly an outdoor cat, even in the harshest of weather. An 11 year old cat, who had spent about 8 years of her life outdoors(she was adopted at 2 years old), so when my mom adopted her, since my mom's friend could no longer care for her, my mom had her for the duration of the winter, and tried to make her an indoor cat. When Missy(the cat) sensed the weather was getting warmer, she started acting out; pooping outside of her litter box, scratching outside of her scratching post, not eating her food, and just otherwise misbehaving. Out of anger, and from me suggesting Missy was having a real hard time adjusting to being kept indoors when she had set her body to be outside during this time, my mom booted her out the door. She was gone for a week, then my dad spotted her in their back yard, and they slowly bribed her towards them, and brought her inside. They've opened the door for her every day since, but she no longer has any care to go outside, when before they booted her out the door, she tried to dart out the door every chance she got.

You can't take the outdoors out of a cat; regardless of the situation, I honestly think if they've spent so long outdoors, then it's downright cruel to take that away from them and contain them in a boring dark house. Though they may live shorter lives, they're a ton happier being able to roam outside and do their thing and live how nature intended them to. Cats vary, though. Some may not mind. But I think if they show any sign of unhappiness, the most humane thing to do is figure out how to contain them outside.

My mom's adopted cat seems to have pretty much resigned herself from being an outdoor cat - when she came back she was awfully thin, so my parents think she might not have been able to catch any dinner, being the age that she is.

But if the cat you're getting is used to being indoors, I really wouldn't feed too bad. Find a way to let her get fresh air and sunlight within a restricted area, and I'm sure she'll be just fine.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too. If the shelter even knows what kind of environment she came from...which I highly doubt they will. I really do want her to be an outdoor cat though, just because I myself love the woods and being in the sunshine and I feel really awful for indoor cats. Especially because this house isn't a mansion... My plan I guess is to keep her inside for a couple weeks, so she gets used to us and realizing that we give her treats and life is good here lol. If she shows no signs of wanting to go outside, thats fine, but if she does I think I will try containing her outside for a while, and then slowly increase the size of the containment. The only thing I really have to worry about is our road, which isn't super busy but a lot of high school kids park on our street for school, and then tear out of there when school is over. But our backyard just leads to a decent sized stretch of woods, so hopefully she will spend most of her time out there. I'm scared that once I let her out she won't come back though... Any general advice for having an adult kitty other than that?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

As far as keeping her from the road; cats aren't stupid, getting hit by cars is generally accidental unless the driver behind the wheel is malicious and wants to run over a cat. You could first establish that the woods is the "safe place", and maybe set up something that she could run to and feel nice and safe in. Then once you've established that that area, or the woods in general is safe, maybe figure out a device or contraption that if she gets near the road, a sound or noise that absolutely terrifies her will go off. Though, my concern about that is she might dart into the road, x.x I dunno.. Like I said, try to get her to associate the woods with safety, or an area in the woods that you set-up as the safety zone. You could try even feeding her there - food is most definitely a positive reinforcement. You could put up signs on the edge of your lawn "Kitty Crossing". I'm sure I've seen those signs somewhere.

There's a few other options like making sure her collar has a bell, getting one of those reflective collars.... here's a snippet of someone's advice, and the webpage:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Train...g-cat-road.htm

"With mine, when I am in the car and it's parked, I rev up the engine when they are around so it scares them. You can take the cat to the curb and try to scare it. Say 'NO! loudly, bop it's butt, and chase it back to the yard. Keep doing that so the cat is scared to go to the curb. Park a car at the curb (I'm guessing you have one, or end of the yard), have someone in the car, take the cat to the curb, and have the person rev up the engine and move the car slightly, and/or honk the horn, just to scare the cat back. Do anything you can think of to get the cat to associate the curb/cars with being scared and his not wanting to go in that direction. Cats do not have reasoning ability. They can not reason that "if I go into the road a car will hit me and probably kill me". They learn by association and habit.

Unfortunately, a lot of times cats get killed in the road when they are being chased, either by a dog or another cat. And that is basically unpreventable. They also get hit when they are in heat and wander (especially if another cat in heat is across the street). So make sure your cat is fixed early to prevent that. Also make sure that your cat has everything he needs at home (food, toys, affection, etc) so there isn't any need to cross the street for anything."
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, a reflective collar would be great. Very smart! I will be absolutely sure to get one of those.

Meeeep I'm so excited!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
I think it will be okay, since we will try and integrate kitty slowly into his mom's house. They only live about an hour and a half away, so it is often that we go down there. Hopefully we can bring kitty down there a good amount of times so she feels comfortable down there. I also wouldn't mind if she gets attached to his mom, as I'm sure she will because they were kitty spoilers! Haha. There is also a chance she could stay at this same house, with the same roommates we live with now.

I also am a bit hesitant about having her be partially outdoors, because of said issues. I do realize that it a bit of a controversial topic I guess. I do feel bad for indoor kitties though.

How long till you leave for Denmark? If you don't mind me asking.

Also indoor cats aren't any worse off then outdoor cats, plus you can till take them for walks on a harness or build an enclosure. There are so many pluses to keeping your cat indoors/outdoor with supervision.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We leave mid october, but some personal circumstances have come up lately that we may not get to go...But hopefully october, and we come back in December.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would keep her indoors if you can - not only is your cat at risk outside, but outdoor cats are a big threat to local wildlife species like birds and amphibians.

I never understand really why places have such strict dog leash laws, but cats are allowed outside by themselves all the time. They often hunt and kill or injure wildlife, and my dog was attacked by a cat the other month when I was walking him down the street on his leash. If it was another dog that wasn't on a leash and had attacked him, the owner could have been in a lot of trouble.

There are ways you can enrich an indoor cats life without letting it go outside. I had an indoor cat before and my sister has two indoor cats, and they were/are perfectly happy. If you really want your cat to go outside, I would consider making some kind of an enclosure or taking it out on a harness. That way you always know where she is and don't have to worry about cars, aggressive animals, or mean spirited people. In the long run, indoor cats usually live longer and you'll probably save money on vets, because you won't have to worry about her getting hit by cars or in fights or anything like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I definitely see the good and the bad. I really think I will just have to wait and see if kitty is happy being an indoor cat or not, and then go from there. I wouldn't mind having an indoor cat...I'll just have to wait and see. I saw on our local shelter's website that some are listed as indoor cats only, so maybe they will have more info on certain kitties than I thought.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

I didn't read any of the other posts but heres my two cents. You don't pick the cat. The cat picks you. When I went and got my two girls, I looked at 4 or 5 cats before those two and they were the only ones that wanted to know us, and we were sold. They picked me, and in turn, I picked them. Because its like a bond was made right then and there.

My cats are indoor cats, and have been since I got them. I let them out every so often with the door open so they can come back in and they never go far. They usually just go and sit in the sun. A lot of cats are perfectly happy being indoor, until you let them outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)

Last edited by PitaPandora; 05-03-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Thought of something
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The cat picks you. When I went and got my two girls, I looked at 4 or 5 cats before those two and they were the only ones that wanted to know us, and we were sold. They picked me, and in turn, I picked them. Because its like a bond was made right then and there.---- Lol like Avatar hahahaha. Jk. Thats sweet. I don't think I'll be picking the cats on whether they are indoor or outdoor or not