Leash Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Leash Training

I am not sure if anyone else does this, but we were talking to a few trainers and they said we should leash train Frahnz so that he can have safe outdoor time (hes an inside only baby). I am wondering if this may just make him want out more, or if it could be good exercise for him, we have a small enough harness as well as a retracting leash for a chihuahua, but I just worry if this could be the wrong thing to do...we have yet to try it as I won't do so til I have more info on it. My brother has a cat thats leash trained and goes on many trips with him, it will walk on leash same as a dog all over the place...he never wants out without his harness, I just wonder if its a good idea or not...

Any feed back would be much appreciated, Ash wants the kitty to be able to go in the yard with her while shes out there, but I just want him to be safe, hes had all his shots, he gets flea treatment and all that, hes fixed...so thats all on the ok side...anyone here leash train their kitty?

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Leash training cats it's quite difficult, in my opinion. My cats are semi-trained. They tolerate it, but don't really like it and they won't walk where I want them to, they just kinda wander the yard, with me following. The only problem I had was that they wanted out a lot more after the first time I took them out. I'm sure this doesn't happen with all cats, but I guess you'd just have to take your chances. Mine don't really cry to go out, but if the door isn't closed all the way, they'll try to escape and they try to get out everyday when we come home from work. I hope I was at least slightly helpful.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thank you so much for replying, I was starting to think I was a little crazy lool

It does help so much...

We took Frahnz out last night (so much cooler at night) and he did so good lol...he loved playing with my adopted kittens out front (ferral born I had trapped and fixed) and the mama to them all just loved Frahnz lol...we wanted to train him so he could get more exercise than he can get inside...not a large house and theres four dogs lol...

My brothers cat follows where ever he goes, peopel always stop and stare...I don't have high expectations such as that for frahnz, we simply wanted to give him a chance to climb the trees, play around, chase the butterflies...we are also going to build him an outdoor inclosure that is sttatched to the house giving him his own space...hes such an active little guy and keeps us up all night lol...but after playing outside last night he actually slept all night lol...hes the only kitten we have ever had that seems to never want to sleep lol...

Thank you for the feed back, it is so helpful to know how sucesful or not, others have been so I can learn from them

I also was worried he may try to escape, thats why hes microchiped and always has his colar on (breakaway) but the only door he wants out is the back door when the puppies are out there lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have seen a few cats around here with their owners on a leash hehe (cats prefer to have the owners on the leash) and saw some take theirs to campus.

i think you could probably train him to go for walks too, if you take him with your dogs if he decides he doesn't want to walk just hold him and put him down when he wants down just don't stop the walk.

We have out side cats that go on walks with us when we walk the dogs, but they aren't on leashes as we live in the BOONIES. they look like they like it

we even had 2 that went skiiing with us (cross country in our field)

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Kramer is always trying to get outside so I figured when I lived out in the valley that I would leash train him. It just made it harder for me to get in and out of the trailor then apartment with him trying to get out all the time. WHen we lived on the 2nd floor apartment he never tried to get out because if he did get out he was still inside so I would take him to go get the mail. I would carry him down to the mailboxes on the loby then when the elivator opened on our floor he would walk right to our door. Now that we are living in an apartment that leads outside he is again trying to go out. But if I take him out he tries harder I hope it works out better for you then it did me

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Newborn Pup

I've never heard of this for a cat. They have very peculiar personalities so I can't imagine they would even be into it. My dog doesn't even like leashes so I can't imagine. How did that turn out?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Betta Bomb

our kitties would like to go out im sure but as for leash training them,well thats my sisters department as Illusion is HER cat and Mama is mom"s cat.i dont either would take "the time" to fully leash train them but i would love to build an enclosure around the yard wit the tree included so they have the full outdoor experience.

Good luck training your lil Franz i hope you guys do well and he fully trains you!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

He is doing well, we have not done it to often yet just because there are so many stray dogs and such...but he does very good on it when hes out...he is really good about it, hes tests his boundries, but any animal woild...and on a side note my dogs love their leash lol thats a very important part of training...

So far leash training has been good, we are doing it all very slowly

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley