Litter box funk - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Smile Litter box funk

Ok, I can't handle the smell of the litter box! I scoop everyday (at least once) and clean the whole thing every weekend. Is this not enough? I use Tidy cat multiple cat and I even tried putting some baking soda in with it but it's only wednesday and getting nasty! PEE-YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 05:13 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Becki - I can totally relate! My boxes are in my laundry room. I find that when it's humid (or I've made it really humid in there by running the clothes drier in the summer) it can really get funky! I have the problem in the summer months when it's always very humid out. Winter time comes and it dries up - and there is no smell. It's weird.

I was going to say Baking Soda, but you are already doing that.

Living where you do I doubt you have a lot of humidity ... but humid air can really prevent the wetness from drying - and it makes it extra stinky. (my observation at least)

The only thing I can think of is - if you have the space, 2 boxes? It would spread the wealth (so to speak ) and may lessen the concentration of wetness in one place. Maybe it would dry up faster? I don't know.

And - I believe it is picture time! I need to see pictures of those babies!!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might try the Tray Terrific from Chinworld, Becki. I don't have kitties so I'm not much help!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, it has been pretty humid here, trying to work up a good rain, and it actually rained all day yesterday so maybe that is it. I'll check out the tray terrific too and see what that's about. Thanks guys!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:55 PM

Good idea on the updated pics Deja! Definitely time for new pics of the little ones Becki.

Last edited by Pigsterz; 11-13-2003 at 09:58 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

At first I thought Deja wanted pics of the litter boxes.

Rhonda

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 11:35 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

You know - believe it or not, those Tidy Cat Crystal things work! They're amazing - really !

I also use a hooded litter box. You have to watch those though, I have to tuck a paper towel in where it snaps together at the back - Lizzie pees up against the back and it seeps through ...

Sharon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlette
At first I thought Deja wanted pics of the litter boxes.
Scarlette - I'm a freak with a sick sense of humor - but I dunno about those littler box pictures

[center]

[
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

I'll see if I can borrow the camera this weekend and get pics of everybody. Those kitties aren't that small anymore!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 10:15 AM

How many cats do you have? I like to have at least one box per cat so maybe Deja's suggestion of adding another box will help? I use a mixture of clumping cat litter and the silica crystals. It does a great job of controlling odor. I just buy them seperately and mix them when I fill the box. I usually put most of the crystals in the corners because usually they pee there. Another thing I would look at is diet. Since changing to Innova (from Nutro) I have noticed a difference in odor.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I have 2 kittens, but a tiny house (I've seen bigger apartments) so finding someplace for the one was kind of tough!
Also, I'm really not sure about those crystals... I read some stuff about them that made me think twice! I'll see if I can find someplace to stick another litter box and see how that works out for me.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes