Litter Box...part 3??!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Litter Box...part 3??!!

Ahhhh! I know what you guys are thinking! Is Snuggles peeing on the floor again?? Well the great news is everything seems to be going great in the new house! Still haven't added the robot back yet, it's still in hiding in the garage!
Here is part 2 and number 1 is in that thread, too, for anyone that missed it!

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...itter+box+part

Anyways, a few days ago, I walked into the living room(other side of the house), and... I smelled that faint smell of cat urine!? I thought "Nah I must be imagining this?" But I still smelled it and Brad agreed with me this time, he said he did, as well! We don't really see anything on the floor and I don't think my cats did anything! I'm wondering, what if the people that lived here before that had a cat and he/she did the same thing as Snuggles!!!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 AM

Oh no Jackie! I hope not. By the way thank you for pointing me in the direction of that litter box! It was mega dough but so worth the investment. I have fosters in the house and I swear I must clean their regular box (they are separated from own) six to seven times a day and mommy is a stinky cat! I had a fecal test done to make sure there was nothing wrong with her, but no she's just stinky. I can't wait to go back to my regular once a week 10 minute cleaning and now that its getting warm I can hose the thing outside instead of in the bathtub!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Your so welcome, Dena!! I'm so glad you like it!!!! The robot is just AWESOME, except Snuggles decided he didn't like a covered box I guess! We are going to be putting it back in the room one of these days! Ginger and Smokie loved it.
Yah I hope not, too, Dena!!!! The carpets are due for a steam cleaning tonight, so I hope maybe we can find out where that smell is coming from? It's not bad, but I faintly smell it somewhere.
Brad had an idea last night though...we have a big area rug that was in our family room at the other house and we put it back in there last month or so. He said "I wonder if it's possible it's from the rug?" Hmmmm. Although to my knowledge Snuggles didn't pee on that rug, I guess anything would be possible? We will steam clean that, too. I don't see any stains on it.

Oh, and Kris, thank you for telling us about SPOT SHOT!! The stuff works awesome on stains!! Kris (Pigsterz) recommended it to us in the other thead, so we went and got some. We had a major stain in the family room, and I sprayed it and it litterally dissapeared, with no scrubbing! I then went over it with the stream vac a little while later and you can't see it at all. I was spraying all the stains with it, it's amazing stuff!!! We had tried tons of stuff on the stain, Simple solution, Resolve, etc, went over it twice with the steamer! And then we used that and it's gone!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jackie - did you find out for sure where the smell is coming from yet?

Spot Shot is awesome!! I buy it in the 3 can pack at Sam's
With all these cats and dogs - you better believe I need it!!
I'm glad Snuggles is adjusting - I wish my cats would fit in one of those Robots!! (big fatties, )

[center]

[
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Linda, the robots are SO cool!!! You don't think they would fit in it?!
Ohh if anyone hasn't see what this is yet, click on this link and you can see pictures of it, too!
http://www.litter-robot.com/

I'm not sure where the smell is coming from yet! It is following us!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:21 PM

Aaaack Jackie! I REALLY hope it is not what you think it is. I know how much hard work it took to get to this point. Did you ever get a black light??

Snuggles is probably saying, "Geez, *I* always get blamed".

YES! Spot Shot is my best friend!! They sell it at Costco too 3 to a pack and it's the big cans. People with cats that are walking barforamas unite!

I'll keep my fingers crossed Jackie!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jackie - Abby, the puny tabby would fit - she's tiny. My two orange Tabbies - omg - they are both Tubbardos!

I'd have to have the Robot and the regular boxes. I'm cleaning boxes daily (at least, ugh!) anyway and since only one would fit in the Robot it doesn't seem worth it. I wish!! Those things look awesome.

Pigsterz! Barforamas couldn't be more true! Abby, the old lady of the bunch - eew - she's my barfomatic. I know the other 2 are guilty of a couple of hairball or random acts of vomit too. Oh the joys of cats!!

Blacklight! I need one too! When it's humid (which has been often and will continue to be through the summer, ick!) I can smell urine in my den. I have had the rug cleaned, scrubbed, steamed - used Nature's Miracle by the gallon .... I still smell it! This is not old carpet. I had all the carpet in this house replaced about 4 years ago. When I moved in though I knew they had a couple of cats and 2 toy breed dogs and the hardwood flooring under the carpet (to me anyway) seemed to have some "spots" where maybe somebody used to pee?
If any of mine (dogs or cats) have used that same spot on my carpet - A blacklight will show me exactly where.

I am SO uptight about my house "smelling" like I have a ton of animals (ok, which I do ) There is nothing I can do about all the dust and hair.... but the smell? ugh can't have that
I'm getting a blacklight - any recommendations?

[center]

[
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:32 PM

[color=blue] [size=3]Yeah yeah get a blacklight Linda. Then Jackie can get one too. And one night, when everyone else is asleep we can have a blacklight party!!

I think they sell a small one at Petsmart or something. Maybe they have a mini version for your key ring? Here, I found ya one... Stink Finder
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

oooh!! Thanks Pigsterz!! That's great!! I'll take a look at it tomorrow... I've got to get some sleep.

I'm slackin' on my "nightowl: rep these days!

[center]

[
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

You guys!! I definately need to get a black light!!!! We didn't get to clean our carpets that night, so we don't know where the faint smell is coming from yet. I wonder if Brad is right though, and it is from our big area rug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsterz
Snuggles is probably saying, "Geez, *I* always get blamed".
I know, Kris! He is doing so good with the litter box now!

Linda! Ackk! I wonder where that smell is coming from?!?!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Update.. and for anyone just tuning in, LOL, part 2 is at the top of this thread and click that for part 1. This is one long story!

UH-OH!!!!!!!! GUESS WHAT I SAW TODAY?!?! Snuggles peeing on the living room floor!!! Well, remember how I said that the living room smelled like cat urine... well I guess I just found out why! I was on the phone today, and was pacing around out there. I saw Snuggles near the wall and he looked like he was squating weird, looking at me the whole time! And sure enough he was peeing there! (no spraying or anything) Now that I think about it, I see some other stains in there, we are going to get some Simple Solution to really clean the carpets this time ( we were slacking on carpert cleaning in that room, too! lol) and hopefully all the smells will come out. Before, this was happening at our old house, but only right next to the cat box in the kitty room. Now, this is at the other side of the house?!?! Do you think the people who lived here before had cats/ dogs and he smells something on the floor?? (Oh and also, we never put the Litter robot back in at this house, either)

Here is something else weird, I noticed the last few nights. When I changed the cats water bowl, that smelled like urine, too!? I made Brad come over and see so I knew I wasn't imagining things or going nuts! LOL And he agreed but nothing looked weird, just looked like normal water to me! That was the wierdest thing!!!!!! I scoured the whole bowl last night and it smelled normal and I moved the location of the bowl.

Why do you think he is doing this now? (If you didn't read my whole novel part 1 and 2, LOL!, he originally started doing this b.c I got this awesome self cleaning litter box with a cover, well he didn't like the cover! ) Both of my vets felt strongly it was a behavior issue, but I am wondering again if I need to get a urine culture done, to be sure. I called my vet's office today to get a price on the culture so I know, I think I need to talk to her about it when she is in. He doesn't appear to be straining or anything, and it's always on carpet, too! There was a puddle there, too, not like 3 drops or anything. My vet had prescribed anxiety medication ( I think) for him, but he wasn't sure it would help though. I had never gotten it, b/c we moved soon after and I thought this had all stopped.

I talked with my vet about Feliaway (thanks Dena!) and he wasn't sure it would work, (since our other house we just couldn't get the smells out of the floor, that's why he kept going there) but I think I need to start researching that again, too!
I think I will try to use that cat attract litter again I used when we first moved in. It seemed to work good.
Thanks guys for reading this whole thing!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:14 PM

Awe, I'm sorry to hear this Jackie. I hope everything works out or you at least get some answers at the vets
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Quick update: It has gotten much worse, as to where the past few days he peed right in front of me in the living room! So, my mom was here and we got him in today at the vets. They tried to take a urine sample, but he had an empty bladder so they couldn't get a sample! But, after talking with my vet, she thinks its behavioral. She gave me some medicine to try, Cosequin, a sprinkled capsule I have to put in his food. It's main use is for joint problems and arthritis, but she said she uses it for the cats with behavioral/marking issues and it coats their bladders so he might not have to go as frequently.(? I think I heard that right) She wants me to try this for a week, if no results, I will call her back and get an antibiotic incase of a urinary infection. He was NOT a happy guy! He was hissing and growling in there! They tried to get urine with a little needle, but when they couldn't get any, she said "I don't think it would be a good idea to put him in a cage to see if he will go! He'll freak out on us!"

So, I got this medicine to try and we will go from there. Also, since you told me about Feliaway, Dena, I have been reseaching it and asked her about it. My vet said it's great stuff, and see how this medicine works, and she suggest I buy that. She said since Snuggles was the first and only cat, she sees alot of behavior issues here. And Smokie and Ginger fight alot so the Feliway might help them, too. My question... Dena, he is doing this in my living room near Angel's (cockatoo) cage. I am worried about using this stuff anywhere near him? They have a plug in but I won't plug it in near Angel, but the spray, I read it would be ok for birds about 5 feet away?? Do you have any thoughts on this? I'm very unsure. I don't want to spray it by him, so I think maybe we will move him, but I didn't have any info on that?

I think I will wait to see how the medicine works first, then get the Feliaway, b/c then I won't know what is working or not?? LOL!

Thanks for reading this whole thing if you did! I think Snuggles is still mad at me for taking him there!!!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 07-22-2004 at 08:06 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure about using it around birds. You may want to call the company and ask just to be sure. If he is peeing in certain areas I would use the spray and probably the plug in where the litter box is. I wouldn't wait to use the Feliway. I would use them at the same time. Eventually he will have to come off the medication but the Feliway can always be there.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Well he came out of his hiding last night for a McDonald's french fry, couldn't pass that up!

I gave him his first dose a little bit ago, sprinkled on the canned food. The weird thing is, I haven't seen him go into the living room! Maybe he knew thats why we had to go yesterday?? lol

Thank you Dena! I think I will try to see if I can email the company and ask, I just don't want to put anything near Angel. It did say though, the spray was safe near birds, but to spray about 4-5 feet away (which is basically where it is, I moved the cage to the other side of the room last week) so it might be ok? We're just so worried about spraying anything near him. I think maybe I will try that first, then think about the plug in, like you said in the cats room, or even my family room. The spray is $30 and the plug in is $45 I think, at Petsmart! I know it's expensive, but my vet said it was really good stuff. I noticed last night Smokie and Ginger were chasing Snugs away from the food bowls! More and more there is behavioral stuff going on around here, I think the Feliaway would help them all.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
breed dogs, canned food, food bowl, food bowls, litter box, water bowl