litter box problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

litter box problem

Our cat Ralphie is a four year old orange Persian male. His parents and five sisters are all seal point Himalayans. Ralphie is declawed (front only). He was born with ascended testicles and a very displaced hip. There was no sign of this until he was about two years old. Ralphie uses his litter box 98% of the time. About once or even twice a month, he will randomly leave a present for us to clean up off of the carpet. We can't go on replacing carpet and paying to have it shampooed. When he poops in the litter box, most of the time he races out like his tail is on fire. This has gone on for years. I wish we could end this rug pooping problem. He has adopted me as alpha father. Every morning he jumps up on the bed next to me and purrs like crazy. When I play guitar and harmonica, he purrs and flips upside down and watches me play. When I'm on the computer, he comes up and either taps my leg or my back until I pick him up and pay attention. We've talked to different veterinarians who say that cats don't use reasoning the way humans do so trying to figure out why he does this is almost hopeless. Has anyone ever had a similar experience or could share thoughts and opinions on this litter box confusion? He's a fun cat except for this huge problem. I will not euthanise him and we couldn't give him away. Who would want to deal with this? Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Many older cats will start going outside of their litter box due to a FLUTD, UTI, or Struvite crystal blockage. Are you sure he's peeing normally? Is the litter box wet?

Many people give away their older cats because when their cats start going outside the litter box, tehy attribute to misbehaving. So instead of trying to figure out why their cat(s) are doing it, they give them up....

My cat Cookie used to race out of her litter box after dropping one, but now that she has a kitty companion, she no longer does it.

Make sure he's peeing. Otherwise, I can't fathom a reason why he's doing it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Part of the Pack

Look in the cat forum section and read the "Driving me Crazy!" thread that I wrote. Yes, I'm having quite a bit of litterbox problems right now with both of my females and it absolutely wears me out to clean up after them constantly! We finally had to rip up every bit of carpet in this room. Good Luck!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM

I thre male cats and on acassionaly will pee on either a towel that is left on the floor or my pants. this drives me crazy. one thing i have learned is litter box maintance keep it clean scooped once to twice a day and have at least one litter box per cat. If that is not possible just have plenty. Inow have three litter pans. the other thing I did is ust the litter CAT ATTRACT it works, a little expensive but not as expensive as new carpet. keep vigilant and maybe even move the pans to a room without carpet. SPace through out the house in order to get him feeling safe and able to pick his favorite spot. Anywho hop this helps.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 AM

I had some more thoughts I had while cleaning my cats boxes.
If you box has a hood on it you might try removing that might stop the flash run after the job. PLus allow the smells to disipate faster the hoods tend to hold in the smells. The hoods are mor for us than the cats anyway. The other thing I thought about was how high the pan is that the little guy needs to get into. if he has bad hips or sore hips some days it may just be painfull to climb into a pan. of course this also could just be a attitude or behavior that has become habit again good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks

I figured this was a futile attempt, but thanks for all of your ideas. Rat Man Doooo, thanks for mentioning that Cat Attract litter. Its worth a try. As far as the poopin' particulars, we have three boxes in our basement that the two cats share. (This act has happened even before #2 cat was around.) As far as the litter box being too high, Ralphie can jump about 4ft.no problem, so who knows. We clean the boxes (scoop) at least twice daily and wash the actual plastic pans weekly. Maybe I'll find a similar thred of someone who cured this type of behavior. I'll keep tuned in. Any suggestions are welcome, still.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi, Rpallen. I'm hoping your cat is fine now, please update us soon coz I think my friend's cat has the same situation with your Ralphie.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat behavior