Litter box problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Unhappy Litter box problems

Almost a week ago, we brought home Youko. She was a stray that a homeless man found all skinny and dehydrated. We had her in our back room for two days and she was using the box religiously. We let her come out on day three and she did fine. Day four, she pooped on a blanket. We added a second box and showed her where it was but she peed on a moist towel in the bathroom instead (which was moist with water from the shower of course.) She was in the room all day yesterday and she used the box 100% again. We paid visits to her three times a day for an hour and all was well. Yesterday (Tuesday) morning, there was stuff in the box so I cleaned it and did my usual spending an hour with her. I came in for the second visit and there was poop in front of the door on the right side. I cleaned it up and continued to spend my hour with her (with Luna because they're buddies.) Then, I came in for the third time. I was happy cause it looked like a piddle in the box but as I turned around, there was poop on the left side of the door! I called the vet and they said to leave her in my dog's crate with the litter box. I told here there wasn't much room in there and she said thats how fine as long as she could move around. It was pretty sad leaving her in there as she cried and climbed up the walls. I did some research and stress can also be why they stop using the box...but I don't understand how being locked in a crate fixes that?

Also considered letting the dogs sleep in there since Youko really likes to cuddle with Luna but Luna plays so darn rough that I supervise the crap out of them when they're together. That and all of my dogs have a history of picking out treasures in the litter box...if you catch my drift.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sounds like she may be revolting against being locked up in the room. You may want to let her run the house and teach Luna that when she plays too rough, she needs to back off and calm down.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

We totally don't have a problem with her running loose...except she seems to forget the litter box exists once she passes the door.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

But she's been in and out of the back room, right? She may stop forgetting when she realizes she has full run and won't be locked up again. That, or she's so excited to be free that she really does forget where the litter box is. May be worth a shot to let her run free for a few days and see how her litter box habits are.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

she may have never had a box before. Since she is in the room it is more natural to use the box but she may have had to go where ever when she was living out in the world.

It may not be stress it may be simply she goes when she needs to go where ever she is.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You can try like we did with our cat shelby let her out of the room and every once and awhile pick her up and put her in the littre box. so she contineaus to remember where it is. It could be that she was just never littre box trainned, is your box a covered one or an open one ? I know for us kimik and moe will use only a littre one, but shelby will only use an open one.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
But she's been in and out of the back room, right? She may stop forgetting when she realizes she has full run and won't be locked up again. That, or she's so excited to be free that she really does forget where the litter box is. May be worth a shot to let her run free for a few days and see how her litter box habits are.
I had her out today and caught her digging in the hall way so I swooped her up and put her in the back box (which was the closest.) I took her front paw and made a digging motion with it and after that she went

I guess I just have to watch her like she is a puppy.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
You can try like we did with our cat shelby let her out of the room and every once and awhile pick her up and put her in the littre box. so she contineaus to remember where it is. It could be that she was just never littre box trainned, is your box a covered one or an open one ? I know for us kimik and moe will use only a littre one, but shelby will only use an open one.
We have a covered and an open one. The open one is in the back and the covered one in the kitchen which is much closer to where she hangs out when not in the back room.

I don't think she was ever litter trained..she was a stray found all alone. She has a couple other problems as well. I think mom was trying to wean her and she got separated. Now she is sinking her teeth into Luna and the boys' man bits poor things.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
she may have never had a box before. Since she is in the room it is more natural to use the box but she may have had to go where ever when she was living out in the world.

It may not be stress it may be simply she goes when she needs to go where ever she is.
I think you're right. I think she thinks that she can just go wherever. She came from downtown/city which has lots of parks so I can see why she might think that.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Is this the one you were hunting for outside?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine View Post
Is this the one you were hunting for outside?
No. I got the one outside...she crawled under my crawlspace probably because my dogs saw her as a stranger and chased her at some point. I'm not sure how she got under there but there is now a big hole under my house where I pulled her out. She got scratched up from the wire things that keep animals from going down there and they were pretty bad so I took her to the vet. Turns out her organs were failing and she had to be put down

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh ok weird question......how do u go from bad scratches to organ failure ? i just mean how did they come to that conclusion?

ssry 4 ur lose u should make a thread for him her ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Oh ok weird question......how do u go from bad scratches to organ failure ? i just mean how did they come to that conclusion?

ssry 4 ur lose u should make a thread for him her ?
I'm guessing she was sick before we took her in. I don't know what lingers under my house so maybe she drank or licked off something poisonous down there. She got scratches from me pulling her out...they were pretty bad so I took her in. I guess they saw she wasn't recovering well so they kept her. I didn't ask for details because I started to cry when I heard the news.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
I'm guessing she was sick before we took her in. I don't know what lingers under my house so maybe she drank or licked off something poisonous down there. She got scratches from me pulling her out...they were pretty bad so I took her in. I guess they saw she wasn't recovering well so they kept her. I didn't ask for details because I started to cry when I heard the news.
im sorry i didnt mean anything mean by it, Im truely sorry if i offended u in anyway, im just always curious as to what tests vet do to get conclusions.

By Anonymous
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
im sorry i didnt mean anything mean by it, Im truely sorry if i offended u in anyway, im just always curious as to what tests vet do to get conclusions.
I understand. I searched and searched around my house and still don't know how she got under there. I fenced off this one side of my yard where our fence comes really close to the side of the house. I didn't see any openings but just in case ya know?

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna