a little concerned - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

a little concerned

My almost 2 y/o cat, Eeyore, has some dry patches that are a little concerning to me. They dont' seem to bother him, but whenever I pet him, I find few spots where there is a little teeny scab --- about pinhead size, at largest. They come right off when I scrape them, and there is plenty of hair underneath. He seems to be perfectly normal except for this. I have been finding these for a few months now. I have read a lot of literature on both mange, and ringworm--neither of which match the scenario. I have 3 other indoor/outdoor cats (he is, as well), and none of them seem to have any problems. They do not seem bothersome to him in any way,but I want to make sure it's nothing serious. Thanks.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Part of the Pack

Are there any specific areas where you find these spots? My cat got them by his neck and he would scratch at them all the time. I didn't realize I could take them off so I ended up taking him to the vet and it was an allergic reaction to something. They gave him a shot and he never got them again.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Playful Pup

My cat had the same thing, it started off small and non bothersome. I knew it wasnt ring worm or anything serious so I let it go. After a really warm winter here it got worse, patches of hair were comin off with the scabs and she started to get lethargic. I rushed her to the vet and it turns out she is allergic to fleas. TN fleas normally dont die off here durin the winter like they do up north the vet explained. My normal store bought flea remedy was not working.

He gave her a shot and some Advantage and she is all better =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd probably get Eeyore checked out at a vets as could be a number of things and best to get stuff ruled out. Its probably more than likey going to be a skin condition or an allergic reaction to something like fleas etc.... My aunties cat had simular symptoms and she was diagnosed with the skin condtion eczema which flares up occasionally and is treated with cream and she's perfectly fine and it doesn't bother her at all. Please keep us informed on how Eeyore (love that name ) is doing

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll watch him a little closer. I might try giving him a bath and seeing if that helps. Thanks for the compliment on his name. He lost part of his tail when he was little, so that's why he earned that name.

Becky

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansale
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll watch him a little closer. I might try giving him a bath and seeing if that helps. Thanks for the compliment on his name. He lost part of his tail when he was little, so that's why he earned that name.
Yes a bath could ease the itching and if he lets you bath him its a good idea My cat would go barmy if i put her anywhere near water You mentioned why he had the name Eeyore before in a previous thread, one of your cats was moulting early and you mentioned him them, he sounds like a little character and he's really got a great name as i love all things Eeyore

Kirsty

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I can't say that he is going to necessarily "let" me bathe him LOL. I'm sure it's going to be a down n dirty (pun intended) fight. But, I've had to bathe him before and he didn't do that horribly. He got into our bucket of fireplace ashes and rolled in it, so I had to clean him off then. he is definitely a character allright. He's my favorite cat, because he has the best personality. He's always around somewhere, and will love every and any one who even looks at him. No, that's not true. He doesn't even care if you look at him. If you're stationary for more than thirty seconds, he is on your lap, and won't leave you alone until you are exhausted from petting him LOL. He's so sweet. I'll try and get a picture to attach of him

Becky

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Part of the Pack

lol...well I wish you luck. I'm lucky to have one kitty who is ok with baths. Sure he tries to climb over me to get out of the water but after some attemps he stays still till I'm done. I don't know how the other kitty would react to a bath but we shall she when she gets one.

My babies...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Well, I can't say that he is going to necessarily "let" me bathe him LOL. I'm sure it's going to be a down n dirty (pun intended) fight. But, I've had to bathe him before and he didn't do that horribly. He got into our bucket of fireplace ashes and rolled in it, so I had to clean him off then. he is definitely a character allright. He's my favorite cat, because he has the best personality. He's always around somewhere, and will love every and any one who even looks at him. No, that's not true. He doesn't even care if you look at him. If you're stationary for more than thirty seconds, he is on your lap, and won't leave you alone until you are exhausted from petting him LOL. He's so sweet. I'll try and get a picture to attach of him
aaaaawwwww he sounds super cute My cats more aloof she comes to you when she wants something or your attention and hardly ever ventures onto your knee but she was a stray so who knows whats happened to her in the past She's housebound at the moment as damaged her achilles tendon in december and can't go out for another 3 months and i have to say its been the making of her as a lot friendlier and affectionate athough i don't think she would let me bath her even with a strong fight, i think i would come of worse

Goodluck with Eeyore

Kirsty

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow, poor thing. How did she hurt her achilles? That sounds painful for any species. Eeyore is an indoor/outdoor along with all the rest of the clan. he's the bad boy of the group, though. If any animal comes up, he makes sure they get out of there fast. But, then ten minutes later, he is all sweet and rubbing on me again. Silly kitty. I'm still working on getting this picture minimized.

Becky

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Wow, poor thing. How did she hurt her achilles? That sounds painful for any species. Eeyore is an indoor/outdoor along with all the rest of the clan. he's the bad boy of the group, though. If any animal comes up, he makes sure they get out of there fast. But, then ten minutes later, he is all sweet and rubbing on me again. Silly kitty. I'm still working on getting this picture minimized.
Thats a mystery that we we'll never know as she came back one night and i saw blood on her leg and upon closer inspection i saw she had cut through her achilles ligaments took her to vets and he thought she had done it on glass but wasn't sure and said they didn't know if they could save her leg as she had completely cut through the tendons and hard to mend but they managed to save her leg and shes had to have complete house rest and be made to be still which is very hard i mean how can you keep a cat still? Shes an indoor/outdoor cat so its been hard for her to adjust but shes fine now just got a slight limp but i'm hesitant to let her back out as she loves to climb and been told it could go again if not careful

I look forward to seeing some pictures of Eeyore and the others very soon

Kirsty

Tags
outdoor cat