A little put off... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

A little put off...

So my new cat is not coming around.I know it will take time and he has only been here about 3-4 days now.Not long at all.The very first day,he bit me.After that,he just avoided me for abit,hiding and everything.

Well I was out with friends last night and when I came home,the closet door (which happens to also lead into rat room) was open.I went to close it and the cat was in there.He leaped at my face!

Obviously it scared the crap out of me and annoyed me as well.
I know he is scared and nervous and jumpy...but I can't have him jumping at me...or my 4 yr old daughter.

Don't worry...I am not giving up on him yet.But it is annoying.
I did what someone on a cat forum suggested and sat in the room just reading and minding my own buisness,but he won't come out of hiding if I am around.And he hasn't eaten since he came here.

I emailed the woman who gave him to me and she was suprised he was acting this way,cause apparently he is an affectionate cat.She said he was a little jumpy or nervous when she had to move before,but it only lasted about 2-3 days.

I guess this is more of a vent then anything.
I have taken in alot of foster dogs,some that have been really abused and it takes them some time,but they seem to come around pretty quickly...depending on the dog.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It sounds to me like stress. If this cat is used to one person and has been with them for a while before being taken into a new home with new people then he will probably shy away. After all you took him from his momma in his opinion.

I suggest getting some rescue remedy, I know this works with ferrets but I'm not sure about dogs or cats. You put it in there water and it is suppose to help.

If that doesn't help and he isn't eating I would suggest taking him to the vet to rule out any health problems.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,that is what I assume.He was with this woman for 2 yrs and now she dumped him with some stranger (me).
Is it called Rescue Remedy? I am going out today to the pet stores,so I will have a look.See if that works.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Yeah,that is what I assume.He was with this woman for 2 yrs and now she dumped him with some stranger (me).
Is it called Rescue Remedy? I am going out today to the pet stores,so I will have a look.See if that works.
Yep, that is what it's called. Hopefully it will help calm down your kitty and he will be more willing to warm up to you. If not then maybe give it a little more time or take him to the vet and if there is nothing wrong maybe they could at least give him a chill pill lol. I know they have stuff they can give to relax them to if rescue remedy doesn't work for you.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

1 bunny - Ice

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thats true! Thanks! I shall give it a try.
I will have a look when I goes out later for it.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Actually...I may take him to the vet in a week or so anyway,just to make sure he is fine...that is if I can get him in the carrier!
If there is no improvement by next Saturday (thats a week from when I got him) then I will consider the vet!

* Lisa *

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Playful Pup

Everytime I moved with my cats they would always freak out with their new surroundings. They would go into hiding and I would allow it just letting them come out on their own.

Of course if he isn't eating, still, that is something to be concerned about, but I would think when he gets hungry, he will eat! Is he using his litter box? And I agree, take him to the vet if it doesn't improve soon. With the Thanksgiving holidays coming up it may be a good idea to go sooner than later, especially if you are going to have extra guests in your home.

The last thing, I wouldn't force him to do anything he isn't ready to do. I am assuming that he jumped on you w/o notice and perhaps he was just as startled as you w/ it all. New owner, new surroundings, etc. You know one thing about cats, you don't own them, they own you!! LOL!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.
I am sure he is just really stressed,cause like I mentioned afterall...new house,new people.

Yup,using litterbox fine.
I am in Canada,Thanksgiving was in October for us! So no worries about that! Thanks though.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Playful Pup

I just realized that, that this forum is primarily based out of Canada? I noticed after I posted my response, not that I would have had a clue as to when your Thanksgiving was though!

I sure hope he comes around soon, guess he is just freaking out right now....here's to a much calmer pet. He'll be just fine soon and so will you all, just wear a knit cap over your face at all times!
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello Earthling

They way to the heart in food.

Have you tried some nice smelly cat food to lure him out?What I did to get the current kittens to come out and want love or more food either way they are now comfortable to walk up and demand some attention.

Try emailing the lady and asking here what he just cannot resist, that might help.

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well now speaking of smelly treats...I might have just the thing for you as long as you are not opposed to it.

I don't have the money to feed 4 ferrets and 5 cats (three are my moms but we all put money together for food.) a raw diet but my cats do get gizzards and liver as a treat every so often...maybe offer him a raw piece of chicken or steak. That might help.

1 bunny - Ice

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I just realized that, that this forum is primarily based out of Canada? I noticed after I posted my response, not that I would have had a clue as to when your Thanksgiving was though!

I sure hope he comes around soon, guess he is just freaking out right now....here's to a much calmer pet. He'll be just fine soon and so will you all, just wear a knit cap over your face at all times!
No...there are people all over the world in this forum...USA,Canada,England,Ireland,Denmark...etc.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
They way to the heart in food.

Have you tried some nice smelly cat food to lure him out?What I did to get the current kittens to come out and want love or more food either way they are now comfortable to walk up and demand some attention.

Try emailing the lady and asking here what he just cannot resist, that might help.

I tried canned food and he was sniffing it,but didn't touch it.I am not home now,so when I go home I will check and see if he ate it.He could of ate it once I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby View Post
Well now speaking of smelly treats...I might have just the thing for you as long as you are not opposed to it.

I don't have the money to feed 4 ferrets and 5 cats (three are my moms but we all put money together for food.) a raw diet but my cats do get gizzards and liver as a treat every so often...maybe offer him a raw piece of chicken or steak. That might help.

Nope.I am not opposed to that.I could try it.What is gizzards though?

I looked for the stuff you mentioned and couldn't find it! I looked in the ferret and the cat section.I was in two pet stores and neither had it.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Hello Earthling

A gizzar is a secondary stomach in a bird to grind the food up.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chicken Gizzard, you can also use chicken hearts and it is best served whole or in small cut pieces NOT ground.

Hmmm, that's odd but I guess some places don't carry it? The local shop here has it, my two new babies will be getting it as soon as they get here to keep them from stressing out to much.

1 bunny - Ice

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Playful Pup

I can buy gizzards and livers in the meat department at my grocery store. They are fresh and raw. I've never tried feeding them to my cats though. But I bet they love it a LOT!

What is found in the meat department is the real mccoy, it's not going to be treated w/ anything. Ours our packaged in a tub and located next to the chicken.

Tags
cat