Local News - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Local News

This is from this weeks newspaper. I thought I'd share it with everyone. I'll keep you updated on what happens.
I didn't feel like typing it out so I just scaned it, lol.

Cat caregivers run afoul of city's animal bylaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

It seems like they are doing a greyt job.
Keep us updated on what happens.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

OMG bless them that is so lovely of them to foster all those cats out of their own pockets and the cats looked well cared for even to the point they have that special walkway and play are so they are at no risk whatsoever. Keep us updated i hope they are allowed to keep their pets x

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

That kitty tunnel thing is pretty cool. I understand and think they are doing a wonderful thing by fostering all the cats, especially if they are willing to move to continue dong so,but looking past the wonderfulness of it, there is still that fine line between simply helping them and hoarding them. I've seen too many cases here where the person started off helping strays and ending up in over their heads and hoarding them instead. I'm sure these people take wonderful care of their pets though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:29 PM

oh wow....i'm so mad that the city would try to stop SOMETHING GOOD!! stupid ppl....i hope the good ppl win
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
can't think of one, help

How can a city tell people they can only have two cats and two dogs, I guess I'd be in violation, because I have 3 cats and a bunny ( used to have 4 cats, two bunnies and a guinea pig)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Here in Houston the max dogs legally allowed is 3 (I'm at the limit)I'm not sure what the cat limit is but I'm pretty sure it's close... I believe the law is there to protect the animals from hoarders, though at least here, the law really isn't enforced.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I can understand where the city is coming from, but I still love what these people are doing and I hope they let them continue to help these cats as long as it doesn't get out of hand (hoarding) and there are no complaints from other people in the neighbourhood.

The city metioned in the news clip is about 10 minutes from my town and here we're only allowed one cat and one dog. We also have to register them for $15 a year. I haven't registered any of my pets and I don't plan on it cuz then they'd probably make me get rid of one of my cats. I could NEVER do that!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM

I appreciate the good people who take in needy animals as well, there are just plenty of people out there who are not the "good" people. (Though I believe these people really are they good guys)
We don't register our pets either.. Although, they are all neutered and wear tags and have all their shots, so I consider us as being better citizens than all those back yard breeders/fighter/hoarders/just plain irresponsible people.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Yeah, all of my pets are fixed, tattooed and have their shots up to date too. Why would they want us to register them with the town anyway, just to make a little extra money?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

here where I live you if you are in the city its 2 and 2 and in the country )where I live) its 4 and 4 or depending on how large your lot is...we have a large area so we were ok for 4, but the lady down the street has a smal area and they limited her to 2 and 2

I love the way they did the cat walk to the outdoor play area, that is such a neat idea...I hope they are allowed to keep or try to rehome what kitties they have now....here you have to have a permit to rescue and rehome and they are pretty generous with the permits

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Basically yes. Lol. I think it's also to help cover the cost of government funded shelters and animal control...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplake View Post
Basically yes. Lol. I think it's also to help cover the cost of government funded shelters and animal control...
For most places I would agree witht that, but not here. There are no government funded shelters here and the animal control consists of a gun and cat traps. Sadly, most people out here don't treat animals very well. I get very angry about it sometimes, but I mostly just try not to think about it.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Treatment of animals tends to be bad here as well, as far as owners go. Though there are a few who do take care. Our rescue systems tend to be kind of screwy though. It's nearly impossible to get an animal into an off brand rescue (like not the spca or city pound) they like to pull animals from the name brand shelters. So If a dog is lucky enough to make it through the spca or pound (which is a very small percentage) then they have a chance of getting into a small rescue. So living here, you can forget about turning in a stray or abused animal with hopes of it getting readopted. I think in the past month my family has sent 2 injured and abused dogs to the pound, seen 1 die from rat poisoning, and are fostering 6 pups and their abandoned mother. It's a cruel world out there for such wonderful companions.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I think I'm supposed to register Gunny...but I don't. She's fine where she is and they are crazy making people pay to have pets...just our government at work

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
animal control, guinea pig