lost cat came back, any advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Question

hi everyone,
about 10 months ago my cat went missing. I went crazy trying to find for a while & i figured she either got a new home or had passed away.

Well today someone from the city next to us (20 mins away)came to my house & said she was living at a group home and being fed there (her tags were still on). So of course i went & picked her and she seemed fine.

But i am not sure if she remembers me. i had her for about 3 years before she dissapeard but can cats remember their owner from 10 months ago?

& for hours now, when i walk by she growls & hisses at me. We have the same cats & dogs that we had when she was here before, any ideas why she is being mean?

she always was very lovable but sometimes did growl and hiss. is it possible she doesn't remember me ? i'm sort of worried, i love this cat to death and was so happy to bring her home but she seems very edgy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 PM

How long ago did you pick her up? I'd give her time. i'm sure she remembers you, but is just a little freaked out at the moment.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM

10 mos. is along time in cat years, so i'd give it some time, be patient and she'll come around.
good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellahart
How long ago did you pick her up? I'd give her time. i'm sure she remembers you, but is just a little freaked out at the moment.
only a few hours ago. She used to hiss at everyone but now i am worried, i tried to bring her to the litter box and she tried to claw at my legs. if her behavior continues, should i take her to a vet? she was always a little 'off' but i am worried she will attack my 1 yr old nephew
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Mel

It may just take her some time to get used to being home. She may not understand what happened, why you didn't come for her earlier, etc. I hope she'll get to feeling better soon, though she may never be exactly the same. Good luck!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 AM

I'm sure she's just scared right now and that she does remember you. Give her lots of time to get settled in and maybe just leave her alone for a little while.. I'm sure she'll come around Imagine being in her little kitty shoes, I know I would be terrified! Especially since you just got her back today.. it could take days or even weeks to get settled back in even though she used to live with you.

Last edited by Chrissy; 11-17-2006 at 02:18 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM

She went through a tramatic experience. Its going to talk a while before she gets used to you and her new "old" home again. I would just treat her as if she was a brand new cat to you. It could take a couple weeks for her to get to her normal self.

Also since she was gone so long, I would take her to the vet just to get a check up. Did they get her vaccinated where you got her from? Im not sure when you got them for her last, but she is probably due to get them anyway.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

thank you everyone i am going to call the vet today and see if i can bring her in. she snuck out earlier because someone forgot to shut the door and it was not fun trying to bring her in, lol. i am all scratched up

this moring she seemed a bit better, i was petting her & she was puring, but when i tried to pick her up off of my lap, she started the hissing and growling.

let's just hope she gets back to herself quickly, i am just worried she has some type of personality disorder
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM

give her lots of TLC b/c ur her "mom" and she's ur "daughter" so you need to let her know that you still love her
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

i have been trying to . i love her to pieces and never thought i would see her again
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Glad You Got Her Back

I read your post. Wow! I'm glad that you were able to get your little baby back! Do you keep her as an indoor cat all the time? I have had friends who let their cats outside. I noticed that when they bring the outside cats inside, some of their outside cats seem to act like your cat is acting after being lost. I don't know if there are just some cats who react this way from being outside cats, or if it is caused by something else. Just something to consider. At any rate your kitty sounds like a very special cat. I hope that she re-adjusts quickly. Best of luck!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 PM

any updates????
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Title Thief Victim

Yea, how is she?

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM

I'd like to know how she is doing too!

Hello again!

I'd also love to know any updates on how your little cat is adjusting! I hope your cat is doing well!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM

My cat disappeared for a year once then came back. She knew me straight away as I saw her in the street and she ran straight up to me and in my front door. She had been young when she went and I wonder if she had been lost before or something and didn't know her way back.

So I'm, sure your cat will remember you. She is probably just confused at her change and taking time settling back in.

Tags
indoor cat, litter box