Lucky scared us! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Lucky scared us!

Lucky recently got his insulin increased because his blood glucose levels were still extremely high. Yesterday, he was acting very strange--trying to get behind furniture, in the closet, etc. Then I noticed he couldn't stand all the way up on his hind legs and I remembered! He's having a LOW! So I hurried and got his corn syrup to squirt in his mouth. Bill just held him like a baby for about an hour before he got up. His pupils were extremely large. It really scared us both--like what if we're gone all day and he has one? This is such a scary disease! I've got it myself so when my sugar is starting to drop, I can treat it before it gets too bad, but poor Lucky can't tell us until he's already bad!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor Lucky!! It scares me that this will happen when you guys aren't there!! Then what???

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ohh so sorry Lucky have to deal with this, that's really scary. Please make him in more noticeable place...

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

I know what you mean. I remember being scared of lows a lot when my kitty was in a diabetic state, especially during the night. That's one of the reasons why it's so important to learn to home test. It may not always prevent hypoglycemia attacks, but you could test him before you leave to see where he's at, if he's getting too low. You could also do a glucose curve for a day when you're home all day to find out when his insulin reaches it's peak. If you know that, it'll make things so much easier. I remember that it peaked at about 6 hours for my cat, so I always tested him a couple of times before that if I thought he was getting too low. To do a glucose curve you test every 2 hours for the entire day. I also kept a log on my kitty's blood glucose every time I tested him so I had it on record and could compare it. All the best to you and Lucky and hopefully you won't have to experience that scary situation again.

Last edited by Hikari; 10-07-2009 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh how scary!
I can only imagine how scary that must of been! Hopefully this doesn't happen again.Diabetes runs in my family,but fortunatly I don't have it.How can you tell if your cat is diabetic? I just would like to know warning signs in advance and hopefully my girls don't get it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

VanillaRat, I hope yours don't get it, either! Lucky's symptoms were 1. He kept laying around and acted like he just didn't feel good. 2. He lost alot of weight (4 lbs!) 3. He was drinking constantly and peeing a ton! Once again, as a diabetic myself, I should've recognized the symptoms sooner, but it never even crossed my mind that it could be diabetes. He didn't want to eat, either, and I really thought he had a bad tooth or something like that. So when I took him to the vet, they did blood work to comfirm it.

He has hardly eaten anything the last 2 days so I don't know whether I should even give him a shot! (I didn't last night, but did this morning) We tried home testing him with no luck.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Not eating is uncommon for a diabetic cat. I know some cats won't eat, but most have a ravenous appetite. My guy sure did. He just slurped up the food! Have you had Lucky checked out to make sure that his decreased appetite isn't from something else? Could he be DKA? Do you test his urine for ketones? You don't need the ones that test for glucose because you already know he has glucose in his urine, just the ones that test for ketones will suffice.

I know I keep saying this, but I can't help but stress how important it is to learn how to home test because it can save your cat's life (not to mention a bundle in cash). It's so convenient to know where their BG is at before you give them a shot. That way you won't worry nearly as much. Here's an excellent site to learn how to home test that maybe can help you: http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-test.htm

The fact that he's not eating much is very concerning. As you already know, insulin on an empty stomach can cause hypoglycemia, but he needs the insulin too. Hopefully his appetite will increase. Wishing you all the best.