Lucy's Update!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unhappy Lucy's Update!!

As some of you may have read in a previous thread where I posted pics of the kittens, I mentioned in a reply post about Lucy. She was the one that we almost ran over with the car, she was a black male kitten taped shut with electrical tape in a shoe box. Both were very ill, however made a great recovery and the male was adopted out, and well Lucy kind of stuck around. Anyhow 11 days we had to take Lucy into the emergency vet, where x-rays were taken and they said she had a fractured hip. So following the emergency vet's orders we placed her in a kennel and let her be for 10 days, 7 of those 10 days she was on antibiotics. Yesterday was the day to take her back for another x-ray, however Darren and I noticed that she just wasn't looking right, anyhow the vet looked at her and said another 7 days of confinement (poor lucy) he didn't take another x-ray just examined her briefly. This morning we went to take Lucy out of the kennel to love her, ect... and I noticed that her back end was wet, and thought that was strange because she must have been peeing on herself, so Darren put her on the bed to let her walk around a bit to get some excercise (with supervision) and she began to stumble and then would just lay down. To back up a bit we've noticed over the past few days that she has been loosing alot of weight (thinking lack of excercise, so she wasn't eating as much). Well while she was on the bed, Darren made a comment about how thin she was looking, and I agreed that she was looking very sickly, as I went to go get some chicken baby food in hopes of getting some protein in her, Darren said she began to pee or so he thought, she had this white puss coming out of her vaginial area, so we immediately put her in the cat carrier and took her to Dr.Friz (our normal vet out in town). Dr.Friz examined Lucy's x-ray and said that lucy didn't even have a fractured hip, and upon examining her the fluid shot out again, she immediately said it was an abscess (spelling) and cut it open and OMG at all the puss and blood that came gooing out of poor little lucy. After 10 minutes of cleaning her up she put lucy on the floor and she appeared to be walking much better, so now she is heavily medicated and makes another trip to see Dr.Friz first thing in the morning. This poor little girl who is only about 10-12 weeks old has been through so much in short little life, and it just kills me how a vet could mis-diagnose that...... So our day was no fun and poor little lucy is sleeping her little heart out, we pray the problem has been resolved and she can be on her way to a healthy recovery. We will update with more info tomorrow. And look what we found sitting in a box in front of our gate when we got home from the vet's. {See Jessie's story in the dog section}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Awww, that's awful! That poor kitten! Give her lots of snuggles for me, Kim.

Stephanie

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

You betcha As soon as she is feeling up to it, I'll be sure to give her lot's of snuggles for ya Jade

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

OMG that is so sad. I hope she feels better soon!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww bless her poor little heart. She is so lucky to have found you guys.

Add us to that snuggle list when she's up to it. We'll be praying for a speedy recovery for her

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:48 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Sheeesh. That's just crazy. I'm glad the right diagnosis was finally made for the poor girl !!

Sharon
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh Kim! How awful! Poor Lucy!!!! I'm glad they finally made the right diagnosis. Add me to the snuggles list, too!!!!! Bless her heart!! I hope she is feeling better soon!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I hope you're not going back to that vet??? Poor wee little Lucy! Give her my hugs and well wishes!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Poor baby! Now that Lucy has been correctly diagnosed she can hopefully lead a problem free life. She certainly deserves it. Thank God for Dr. Friz!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

poor little kitty kitty get better soon
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Playful Pup

Awww Kim give her some big ol navy snuggles for me when she's up for it. I so want to adopt her but our apartment complex and Robert would probably kill me....
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks everyone.....Lucy is feeling much better this morning, she used the litter box last night and ate the little bit of canned food I left for her. She even ate a little more this morning, she get's one more dose of med's here in a few and then in about 2 hours we head back to Dr.Friz......Roz we only went to that vet because it is the ONLY emergency vet in the immediate area...... I have added you all to the many snuggles that lucy will be receiving, and I know she would thank you all if she could so there is a hug from her to you...... Laura I know how apartments are especially in the hampton roads area. Lucy will be with us for quite sometime after all this

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Update at the vet visit today.... Lucy got another good cleaning, and is doing much better, she is purring and meowing and sitting up and even walking a bit now... She is much more alert. We have to give her an injection once a day for the next 7 days (that is an antibiotic) and along with that keep her on the pill form med's. She is to be seen again in 7 days providing she has no more drainage coming from the site of the abcess. So it is good news this far

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wonderful news!

How terrible for the vet to screw up the diagnosis like that, were they blind??? I am so glad she is now on the (proper) road to recovery!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thank you Lixx.... I wish they were blind, but they weren't....We've gone to them in the past 2 other times and they were wonderful of course it was a different doc on staff {go figure}.
Lucy is doing great this morning, her inscision is healing very nice

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
canned food, emergency vet, litter box, regular vet, vet visit