Major Question About Cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Major Question About Cats

Okay, as all of you know, my rescue cat Polka just had kittens a week ago yesterday. How soon does the mother go back into heat? I am asking this, because now she is trying her best to run outside, and climb out the windows. I think she is in heat and trying to find someone to breed with. I can't have her getting pregnant this soon after birth, the only thing I can think of is putting her harness on her and letting her walk outside. I just need her to hold off until the kittens are weaned so I can get her spayed, but I don't want to worry about her running out and getting pregnant again. What can I do? How soon are cats supposed to come in heat after birth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:30 PM

I'm not positive but I think they go into heat right away. I had a rescue girl here some months ago and kept her and her babies in the spare bedroom. It's hard to deny them but it's the best solution for a temporary situation.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 04:03 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i would just keep her inside. she'll be fine for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 04:47 AM

I am pretty sure that they go into heat about 3 days after giving birth. I wouldn't take her outside, even on a leash. All the toms in the neighborhood will be on her in a heartbeat. Just know that you are doing the best thing for her by giving her body a chance to recup by keeping her indoors. Good luck.

Becky---proud momma to Sammi and Leigh (my girls), Jake (dog), Mischief, Eeyore, Fluffy Butt and Merlin (cats), Lila the hamster and all the aquatic inhabitants of my aquarium
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I would keep her inside and away from the front door (or any other door that is frequently used to go outside). Female cats can be SO sneaky when it comes to trying to get a tom. There were moments when Gerona would ZOOM past me as soon as the door was opened (and if you have something like groceries in your hand, there isn't a lot you can do to stop them). She would sit by the door and just WAIT for it to be opened so she could escape.

'Batten down the hatches!' For now, that should be the new motto of your home! Good luck with keeping the mama Polka in and away from those pesky toms. Soon, though, you'll be able to spay her and everyone can breathe easy again.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 02:13 AM

I agree with everyone.... Female cats can go into heat within the first week of giving birth. Do your best to keep her away from doors, window's etc... anything that she can sneek out of she will, as mentioned above female cat's can be very very sneaky. Do your best to keep her in until the kittens are at least 4-5 weeks old at that time they should be weaned and you can take mom in to get spayed. I know it can be frustrating listening to a female cat in heat or watch how determined they are to get outside, but stay positive and hang in there, you've only got a few more weeks until you can get her spayed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 PM

well, in all my breeding i've never seen a cat go into heat a 3 days to a week after having kittens. usually they get very cuddly and purr a lot, but that isn't a heat.....it's just them being friendy and motherly. the purring can also be a sign of nervousness in a cat but we, as humans, mistake it for affection. usually the heat happens about a 3 weeks to a month after the kittens are born and is hard to recognize except for the but of the dam goes up in the air when you pet her. even 3 weeks to a month is kinda pushing it, becasue my girls go back in around weaning time which is 6-8 weeks.

i would keep your girl confined to an unused bathroom or get a kitty kennel for her. it won't hurt her to stay with the kittens anyways, and she may be trying to get out becasue she isn't really enjoying the kittens. this can become a huge problem if you don't start working with her and "forcing the mom instincts into her."

cats can get pregnant even when not in heat. the heat just makes them willing and if a boy really wants it he'll get it without her being receptive. good luck to you!

amber

ps-two litters back to back can kill your girl or make your girl very sick. take all necessary precautions!

Tags
male cat