Mammory tumor? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Mammory tumor?

I picked Tyler up tonight to bring him upstairs and felt a lump on his belly.
I checked it out and it's on one of his mammary glands. It seems huge to me. It's pretty hard too. I didn't play with it too much. I am afraid that it's cancer so I didn't want to mess with it.
Now I am afraid to call the vet. He is 16 and will be 17 the first of July. I don't want to know if it's bad.
I have had him for so long. He has always been so faithful to me. We really have been through a lot together. College. My parents break up. My mom leaving. My sister getting engaged which prompted my mom to take back the house and then my dad leaving. My break up with a guy I dated for 7 years. The rough time after that. My first year of living with Jay (that was so hard!)
We also had so many good times together. The last 5 years have gotten better every year. It's so wonderful now and I don't want to loose him but I know that he is getting old for a kitty.
I really just don't want to know. I cannot imagine putting him under anesthesia - I just feel he is too old. We lost our first cat (years ago) when she went for a routine tooth cleaning.
I also don't always think that cutting open cancer is a good thing. I really feel that it makes it spread in some cases.
I really don't know what to do.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Aww poor kitty, I'm sorry! But maybe it's not cancer, there's a chance it's not right?

Maybe you could have someone else take him to the vet for you? And if you really don't want to know they could keep it to themselves?

I don't know, it's hard, but I would want to know what's going on. But if your already afraid that it's cancer won't that be worrying you? Might as well go find out for sure, so you can stop worrying if it's not. You could explain to the vet what you said about surgery and then, if it is something bad, you and the vet can just concentrate on keeping him happy and comfortable. You wouldn't want him to start to suffer, and to get pain meds or anything he would need to see a vet.

I'm sorry, best wishes to you and to Tyler!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

In all probability the vet will do a needle biopsy, so your little guy won't have to go under anesthesia. If it does turn out to be cancer there's nothing that says you have to agree to treatment or surgery. You can discuss, with the vet, options for keeping Tyler comfortable.

I'm sorry Tyler and you have to go through this. But, isn't it better to know either way so that you can keep your friend comfortable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

His comfort is the most important thing to me. You are both right. I will call the vet tomorrow. We have used the same vet for so many years I know he understands me. I just don't want to loose him. He's my best friend. I just cannot imagine my life without him in it.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
can't think of one, help

I know how you feel, I just had to have my "baby" put down after 18+ yrs. She was my constant companion through everything. I miss her terribly. Hugs to you, its hard.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I finally had the guts to call the vet today. When I spoke with him on the phone he thought I was talking about Bean. He was not very optimistic. But when he came over tonight and realized I meant Tyler he was more positive. Apparently males don't tend to have cancerous tumors as often as females. Although they can get them. He looked at it and squeezed it and stuff came out. It was so cool/gross. After he was done squeezing the lump was pretty much gone. He said that it could be benign something or other. He told me the proper name but I cannot remember.
I have to keep an eye on it to see if it comes back - which he expects it to. And he took blood and urine for testing in case it does come back. He said that no matter what it is if it comes back it should be removed. I am really scared but I want to do what is best for Tyler. I just HATE the idea that he would go under anesthesia.
He took blood beca

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Rodentologist

I know it's scary, but in terms of surgery this is one of the less stressful ones because they're not actually opening up his abdominal cavity, they're just removing the lump on his abdomen.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I am sure you are right.
I did just check his nipple and it still looks good. No sign yet of the liquid returning.
Right now he is doing his "patrol" of downstairs. He stays upstairs in his room when we are out because of our security system so when I let him out he likes to walk around and check out the entire downstairs. Hmmm.. he just decided to go back upstairs.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Great news about Tyler! The lump still has not come back. The vet called with his blood and urine results. They are not perfect but for a 16 year old cat they are fine. The vet was very surprised that the lump has not come back. He expected it to by now. He told me to keep an eye on Tyler for a while to make sure it doesn't return and that it may have just been benign.
I am so relieved.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh and thank you everyone for telling me to call the vet! You guys were right. It's so much better now that I know he is fine.Thanks everyone!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

I hope your baby continues to patrol for a good, long time!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Will It Ever Change?

glad to hear its going okay!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
poor kitty