Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Measuring Food

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  kathydip 
#1 ·
Hey how do y'all measure your food amount for the cats? Is it free-for-all or do you only give them what the bag says. If you measure what do you use to measure the food with and where did you get it from because I have seen some people have a special science diet measuring cup but I can't find them anywhere

#2 ·
If you are going by the bag just use a measuring cup. A cup is a cup after all, pick up a cheap one doesn't need to be name brand. For us we're currently putting enough to cover the bottom of the dish just to keep an eye on what our cat eats... but it gets filled whenever she eats enough. She's underweight so she gets whatever she'll eat...

#4 ·
My girls are on free-feed at the moment; I've never had any animals on restricted feed. They pretty much take a few bites here and there throughout the day/night. If I was going to measure anything, I imagine I'd just use one of my regular old kitchen measuring cups.

#5 ·
Wehave 2 cats and they get 1 and 1/4 cup of food to share a day. This is slightly less then the bag deems a serving should be, because our vet says they have an over amount placed per serving to sell more food. Our cats were both 2-3 pounds over weight, but are over all healthy. They don't get many treats, maybe 2 each a day.

#6 ·
we fill our cats' bowls and that usually lasts them two days unless they spend a lot of time running around like crazied lunatics which as oflate seems to be a regular thing. The lst time we brought tigger to the vet she was a good weight and healthy other then the infection that she had in her paw. (which was the reason we brought her in)

#7 ·
Mine are pretty much free fed too. I leave it down and they like to graze over the day. But I do limiot their maximum intake over the day and also give less than the packaging suggests as it seems to always get left if I do.

I was lucky and got a free measuring cup once with a tin of cat biscuits.

#8 ·
We basically let our cats free feed, although we put about a third of a cup in at a time and only give them more when they ask for it. They eat about the same amount as when we did a regular free feed where there's just food in there all the time, but they get less of it in thier water dish this way so they're happier about that.

#9 ·
I dont measure how much my two cats get, but Tobbie can only get a certain amount and thats 1 cup a day (hes diabetic) but they are all basically on a feeding schedule ... with Tobbie being diabetic, i cant have him roaming the house, eatting the other cats food, so i give them their food basically every 12 hours.. but it my two want, they can hop up on the penisula between the kitchen and living room, and eat some of the food

#10 ·
Mine free feed. We have always left a bowl of crunchies down for the kids. When I lived at home they would get some wetfood a couple times a day. I don't think mine would take too well to being curbed. Luckily thought neither of them are overweight or have any other issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.