Measuring Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Measuring Food

Hey how do y'all measure your food amount for the cats? Is it free-for-all or do you only give them what the bag says. If you measure what do you use to measure the food with and where did you get it from because I have seen some people have a special science diet measuring cup but I can't find them anywhere

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

If you are going by the bag just use a measuring cup. A cup is a cup after all, pick up a cheap one doesn't need to be name brand. For us we're currently putting enough to cover the bottom of the dish just to keep an eye on what our cat eats... but it gets filled whenever she eats enough. She's underweight so she gets whatever she'll eat...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I just use a measuring cup...she gets 1 cup of food

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My girls are on free-feed at the moment; I've never had any animals on restricted feed. They pretty much take a few bites here and there throughout the day/night. If I was going to measure anything, I imagine I'd just use one of my regular old kitchen measuring cups.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Wehave 2 cats and they get 1 and 1/4 cup of food to share a day. This is slightly less then the bag deems a serving should be, because our vet says they have an over amount placed per serving to sell more food. Our cats were both 2-3 pounds over weight, but are over all healthy. They don't get many treats, maybe 2 each a day.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

we fill our cats' bowls and that usually lasts them two days unless they spend a lot of time running around like crazied lunatics which as oflate seems to be a regular thing. The lst time we brought tigger to the vet she was a good weight and healthy other then the infection that she had in her paw. (which was the reason we brought her in)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Crazy Woman Driver

Mine are pretty much free fed too. I leave it down and they like to graze over the day. But I do limiot their maximum intake over the day and also give less than the packaging suggests as it seems to always get left if I do.

I was lucky and got a free measuring cup once with a tin of cat biscuits.

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

We basically let our cats free feed, although we put about a third of a cup in at a time and only give them more when they ask for it. They eat about the same amount as when we did a regular free feed where there's just food in there all the time, but they get less of it in thier water dish this way so they're happier about that.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Glowing New Mommy

I dont measure how much my two cats get, but Tobbie can only get a certain amount and thats 1 cup a day (hes diabetic) but they are all basically on a feeding schedule ... with Tobbie being diabetic, i cant have him roaming the house, eatting the other cats food, so i give them their food basically every 12 hours.. but it my two want, they can hop up on the penisula between the kitchen and living room, and eat some of the food

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Mine free feed. We have always left a bowl of crunchies down for the kids. When I lived at home they would get some wetfood a couple times a day. I don't think mine would take too well to being curbed. Luckily thought neither of them are overweight or have any other issues.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny