Medical Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Medical Question

On 12/26 my three year old kittie died. About a month previous she had been diagnosed with gingivitis and after treating her with antibiotics, three teeth were pulled and the doctor put her on a 2x day/dosage of prednisone. Five days after the beginning of the prednisone, she died. I did not have an autopsy done - should I have done so? Although at the time the teeth were pulled, the doctor did a biopsy for cancer, and she couldn't find any indication there was cancer present. However, the doctor said she (Hocus) may have been suffering from an auto-immune problem, something like lupus. Does anyone have any comments to make or can provide some insight as to why my kittie died so suddenly. It wasn't until the last day that she didn't eat. I was going to take her to the vet the day she died. Pocus, her sister, keeps looking for her in the house. It is very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Herp Nerd

I'm certainly no vet and don't know the case, but I'm curious why prednisone was the medication of choice. While it does reduce inflammation, it also makes the body less able to recover from infection (an odd decision when antibiotics were previously administered). It typically causes an increased heart rate and nervousness as well as a myriad of other side effects. I'm sorry for your loss. Its hard to make the decision to have a necropsy done at a time like that.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'm sorry to hear for your loss... its hard to lose a baby so young. I don't know anything to say much but offer condolences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Curmudgeon

I also wish to say that I'm sorry for your loss....

I'm with Rav on this one...

Prednisone seems to be an odd choice for an animal just coming out of a regimen of antibiotics and possibly dealing with auto-immune issues.... but I'm no vet either, and there may have been good reasoning behind it.

That said, I think it's unlikely the prednisone had any direct effect that could have precipitated the cat's demise.

I'm sure the doctor was concerned why a 3 yr old cat had such an advanced state of gingivitis that he needed to extract three teeth. Obviously, something else was going on before she got into the vet's office. It's entirely possible she could have been exposed to something (household chemicals you weren't aware of, or perhaps before you owned her...) or that that there could even have been a genetic abnormality that was untreatable.....

It's impossible to tell.

Don't let this continue to nag at you. If you did all you could then it was beyond your power to change. I sympathize with vets, they can't communicate with their patients, yet they have to make sense of mystifying symptoms.... I wouldn't want to in that position. Making life and death decisions about someone's beloved pet, ....and not able to always know what the problem is.

Peace...

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry for your lose. losing a memeber of the famliy is never easy.
As Bob said you can not bear the guilt for somthing you have no knowledge of (speekign of the lack of prognosis). My hope for you is fast healing and adn peace.
Stickbuns
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My sincere thanks to all of you who responded to my query. I had some doubts about the prednisone. A doctor I once had said that while steroids may temporarily appear that they are helping the progression of a particular disease, sometimes they suppress the immune system, ultimately creating more problems than they solved. I knew that, but didn't question the doctor - which I am now sorry that I didn't. There may have been an adequate response from the doctor - or not. I decided not to have an autopsy done because I couldn't stand the thought of cutting up that beautiful creature, and maybe not finding anything. Would a doctor inform me of something they should have caught, but didn't? Maybe at this point, if that's the case, I just don't want to know. Again, I thank all of you for thinking of my kitten and the suffering she experienced. I have had numerous cats in my life, each one being a unique individual, and each one bringing me enormous pain when it passed. I really hope we are all spirits and I get to see them all again when it is my life ends.