medical question about diabetic cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Question medical question about diabetic cat

I have a 3 1/2 year old cat. I got him at the SPCA about a year ago. Recently, I was out of town for about a month. When I got back, Homer was having trouble with his hind legs. The vet diagnosed him with diabetes and he's on insulin twice a day now. Unfortunatly, the neuropathy to his hind legs is permanent and he can barely walk. Does anyone know of some type of therapy that might help him? It breakes my heart to watch him trying to get from one place to another. I would appreciate any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 PM
SwC

http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/ This site has some links to information that may be specific to the information you are looking for. Hope this helps as it's directed to cats with DM and potential problems that follow the diagnosis with forums of other pet owners. There are also assist devices for the rear legs to help with mobility if therapy fails to improve at least make thier adl more normalized. Your vet would probably know more about where to have these made.
http://www.felinediabetes.com/index.html is another informative site.

Last edited by SwC; 01-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

SwC, I have been using that stuff for less than a month and I already see improvement! Homer can jump up on the couch again and he has a lot more control of his legs when he walks. I've even recommended it to my brother-in-law who has neuropathy from Type 1 diabetes. Thank you SO much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
SwC

So glad to hear the news he's improving. I understand alot of not only our feline but also human kind lol seem to benefit abit also. Hope he continues to do better. Keep posted on his condition please. I'm very interested to hear how he progresses with this supplement.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep you posted. Another thig that convinced me that the improvement is from the supplement is that I lost it for a week and he started to revert back to his pre-supplement condition. I tore the house apart last night and found it where I had put it for "safe keeping"!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM
SwC

I'll try to do abit more research not only on this supplement but there may be some other alternates to use as a conjunckt therapy also to help maintain his blood sugar. How much insulin and the frequency is he currently on?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

He's on Humilin U, 2 units twice a day. Thank you so much for your concern and efforts! I wish you could meet Homer~he's a sweetheart. Do you have cats? You wouldn't happen to know all of the insulin injection sites, would you? I was wondering if I can inject somewhere other than just his shoulder area.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 PM
SwC

I would think another site would be in the rear haunches since it's given subcutaneously. The only issue would be is making sure you dont go any where muscular or near major nerve sites. Even as humans we are able to take them in the stomach tissue, thighs, and arms. Pretty much the same principle as not to inject deep into a muscular area. Yes I have cats but fortuantely very healthy so far. It's a zoo here though. More vet visits occur in my home with my prairie dogs then any other of my pets.

Tags
hind legs, pet owner, prairie dog, prairie dogs, vet visit, vet visits