Meow meow :)? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Meow meow :)?

Haha
Hi! For we were at Petsmart and I went to look at the kitties. There was a BEAUTIFUL Calico who I fell in love with. My mom said I could get her, and I was wondering if you guys have any tips? We have a vet, food, food bowls, litter, litter boxes, etc. I've had a cat before, and have tooken care of my neighbors past cat. I know i've posted many threads about hamsters and rats and stuff but I really want this cat, and have been for a while!!
So, any tips?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Hello Earthling

Do you know how old she is? Knowing her age would help with tips.

I have had Amadeus since he was 2 months old and have been clipping his nails since then, which has really helped because now I just clip them when he is sleeping (he is hyper when he is awake) with no problems. By starting basic training at a young age you'll have less problems later on.

Be you have a nice and sturdy scratching post or cat tree, cats NEED to excersize their paws and better on a cat tree or post then your couch.

You also want to be feeding a high quality food. Non of the crap foods like IAMS, Whiskas, Meow mix etc...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I suggest canned. A good canned food is Healthy Pet Net's "Instinctive Choice", and Castor and Pollux. Dry food is hard on their mouths - their teeth were never designed to crunch down on kibble - it was designed to rip and tear into meat and then swallow it in chunks. Dry food splinters when it's crunched onto, and the pieces get stuck in grooves of their teeth and can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.

Dry kibble also contains less than half of the amount of moisture cats need - good canned foods contain the proper amount of moisture that cats would find when hunting prey outside. Canned contains(again, depends on the brand) about 78% moisture, dry contains only 5 - 10% moisture.

Dry also contains much more carbohydrates than cats need. Don't buy into the "more carbs to store and use as energy later!" that's not how cats work. Their natural prey contains from 5 - 7 % carbs... dry foods contain anywhere from 23% carbs to 70% carbs.

Also, dry foods are incapable of truly replicating the amount of meaty ingredients that cats need to thrive. Kibble has to be baked at extremely high temperatures - so any nutrients the meat originally had, is lost with the cooking.

http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/store/cat

http://www.healthypetnet.com/Healthy...hdr=&Ath=False

I haven't tried the Healthy Pet Net food yet, but I referred my mom to it for her cat, and her cat loves it. Both the Organix, and the Instinctive Choice are packed with named-meat ingredients, which is what's optimal since you should stay away from byproducts at all times. I prefer Castor and Pollux's Organix canned foods. As their Ultramix contains apples, and berries, both which are bad for cats. Apples because they contain both phenols and Oxalic Acid which are toxic to cats, and berries because tehy contain phenols as well, and Benzoic Acid, which cats can't actually metabolize:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1179077/

Page 48 - It states that cats lack the metabolic pathway called "Benzyl Glucuronide" necessary for metabolizing Benzoic Acid. Instead, it gets excreted entirely as Hippuric Acid. Which is toxic to their systems.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=910&page=34

It explains it right on page 34, which is the page the link opens right up to.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v18je04.htm

The source above states that, during their experiment:

"Outbreaks of poisoning affecting 28 cats have followed ingestion of meat containing 2.39% benzoic acid. The effects were nervousness, excitability, and loss of balance and vision. Convulsions occurred and 17 cats either died or were killed. Autopsies showed damage to intestinal mucosa and liver. The sensitivity of the cat may be due to its failure to form benzoyl glucuronide and toxicity may develop with quantities greater than 0.45 g/kg single doses or 0.2 g/kg repeated doses (Bedford & Clarke, 1971)."

And my final source: http://www.inchem.org/documents/cica...ds/cicad26.htm

The source above says this, "In rodents, the acute oral toxicity of benzoic acid and sodium benzoate is low (oral LD50 values of &gt1940 mg/kg body weight). In cats, which seem to be more sensitive than rodents, toxic effects and mortality were reported at much lower doses (about 450 mg/kg body weight)."

For the last two, just type in "cats" into the Find feature on your browser, and it will take you right to the paragraphs I copy and pasted.

This site is a bit off-topic, but it gives good insight on how a little bit of something harmful may seem fine, but after a while it becomes more dangerous as that "little bit of something harmful" starts accumulating - the actual site itself talks about Tea Tree Oil, and how essential oils are toxic to cats because of their phenols.

http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm

This is why Oxalic Acid is bad for cats:

"
Oxalic Acid:
  • Beets, collard, parsley, spinach and Swiss chard are high in oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can lead to kidney stones and a depletion of calcium in the body
    • Pets who suffer from or are at risk for kidney stones, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and those whose stomach is easily irritated should definitely avoid foods high in oxalic acid.
  • Oxalic acid combines with calcium to create an indigestible compound and since we are adding a lot of calcium to the food we are feeding, we want to avoid foods that do contain oxalic acid."
http://www.pet-grub.com/part2/what_v..._dogs_and_cats

A more scientifically-researched reason why Oxalic Acid is bad:

"Ten client-owned cats with calcium oxalate (CaOx) urolithiasis were evaluated to determine the effect of diet on urine CaOx saturation. Two dietary treatments were evaluated in each cat: the diet consumed just prior to urolith detection and a canned diet formulated to prevent CaOx uroliths. This study revealed that hypercalciuria is a consistent abnormality in cats with CaOx urolith formation. When urolith-forming cats consumed a diet formulated to prevent urolith formation, activity product ratios for CaOx (which estimate the degree to which urine is saturated with CaOx) were significantly lower. These results suggest that consumption of an appropriately formulated urolith-prevention diet will reduce recurrence of CaOx urolithiasis."

http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/40/3/185

"Categorized as a strong weak acid, oxalic acid can cause inflammation in the mouth, drooling, respiratory problems, and gastrointestinal upsets if a cat chews on or digests a plant containing oxalic acid."

http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/d...lant_poisoning

And finally...why kibble is bad:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Another link, and the author has a really good source that she notes down at the bottom of the article:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

And some general, all around, detailed information into cat nutrition and what they truly need:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

That said... enjoy your fantastic new furry feline,

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-31-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

Canned food is also better because it helps prevent UTI (urinary tract infection).

Are you getting the cat? If you really want a cat,you should adopt one from a shelter rather then get one from a pet store.I know you really like and want that calico,but there are hundreds of equally as nice cats and kittens in the shelters.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

many petstores do work with shelters (petco, petsmart) to help adopt out cats

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Also true, VanillaRat,

Kendalle - that's the way our PetSmart runs, from like 3 - 6 Robin's Nest, a cat-only organization, visits PetSmart and assists people that see the cats in PetSmart's windows and want them. That's the way yours is, yeah?

Still -- I'm with Vanilla Rat on this one. PetSmart is a pet store. Those cats will find homes, without a doubt, because they're IN a pet store. It's the kitties in the places that "aren't so fun", the actual shelters, and humane societies, that should be thought about. About half as many people visit shelters than they do pet stores. People just....don't think about going to shelters. Shelters aren't "Bright, and cheerful" and it's not typically a place some people think about visiting - perhaps it's all the crying dogs and cats...who knows, but point is shelters just aren't an exciting place to go, and people rather get their pets from brightly colored pet stores, with happy employees, that carry cute little fuzzy(and feathery, and scaley!!!!) pets that also need good, loving homes. :/

They all need good homes. But the pets in pet stores will always find a home. Pets in shelters, a lot of the time... get left ignored.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

PetSmart has an adoption center there, that's where i'm getting her from. She's not a pet store cat. She's 7 months old.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Canned food is also better because it helps prevent UTI (urinary tract infection).

Are you getting the cat? If you really want a cat,you should adopt one from a shelter rather then get one from a pet store.I know you really like and want that calico,but there are hundreds of equally as nice cats and kittens in the shelters.

PetSmart has an adoption center for cats

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

So, once again i'm let down on getting an animal. My grandad doesn't want me to have one. And it is his house. I would sneak it from him but of course most of you would say that's bad and that is no kind of home for a cat.
I think i'll just get a fish or something.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry you can't get her. I hope you can some day though!!
Its hard not to want one from PetSmart, the ones by me they are in super small cages and so sad looking

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our pet smart has pretty big cages for their cats and they always look happy or they are sleeping.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Hello Earthling

Thats too bad. SOrry.

Some of the PetSmarts here have really nice cages, that open out to other cages (when they don't have a lot of cats), and some have really small cages.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry you cannot get a cat! Maybe in the future you can.

Oh and BTW people,I am quite aware that pet stores (some anyway) have adoption centers.We had a Petcetera (they went out of buisness) that had an adoption center and would adopt cats out through the SPCA.They had a large room where they housed cats from the SPCA.

But that is not the point...
Why not just go to the shelter?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if a petstore has an adoption place and you adopt a cat from there it will make room for another rescue cat. It seams like the same thing as going to the shelter to me.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
if a petstore has an adoption place and you adopt a cat from there it will make room for another rescue cat. It seams like the same thing as going to the shelter to me.

Thats what I think too. The cats at the adoption center come from the shelter meaning once they get adopted there is more room. The only downside is only the most adoptable are at the adoption centers.