Message From an Old Shelter Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Message From an Old Shelter Cat

This just absolutely broke my heart, and I made hubby read it and told him that if THAT didn't make him want to go out and get a shelter kitty, then he's heartless and nothing will.

(And let the record show it even brought a tear to his eye.)

MESSAGE FROM AN OLD SHELTER CAT
Author Unknown

I sit alone and so confused
behind the metal bars.
The loss that I am feeling
will forever leave its scars.

My family left me here one day
a month or two ago.
They said, "Don’t worry, Tabby,
you’ll find a home, we know."

It seems they’d bought a condo
that said "No Pets Permitted."
I thought they’d never leave me
but then they went and did it.

My favorite window sill is gone
where I used to lay and sun.
I cried all night the day they left
and remembered years of fun.

The people stop and look at me
and always say, "Poor Thing".
Then they choose a kitten
when they could have had a King.

As Christmas nears, it’s gotten worse…
I remember presents under the tree,
lots of catnip and a turkey dinner,
loving hands that once stroked me.

There was lots and lots of laughter
as I played with all my toys.
I miss them both so much this day…
their love, their kisses and the joys

So, please, if you stop by my "home",
just give me an extra rub.
I’ve given up being adopted,
but I sure could use the love.

And if you really like me,
Please, Please take me with you
I’ll be real good, I promise,
and love you long and true.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:23 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

oh how sad I read things like this alot and it never stops bringing tears to my eyes, only because it is so very true and heartbreaking

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

I know ... I wish more people read it and felt the need and URGE to do something! ... I swear, as soon as we move into that new house, I'm getting a nice, old tom who can be lazy and lounge around in the comfort of a home.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Rowan that would be great, and I know you will make a big ole shelter kitty very happy

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How sad I've always known that the older cats are overlooked at the shelter. Everyone always wants a kitty "so that they can bond" I'm living proof that you CAN bond with an older animal. It is the same with dogs. They are often overlooked also. I'm a member of a doberman rescue and my husband and I have decided that when we are ready to adopt, it will be a dog over 6 years.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

That makes me feel so guilty for what happened to Baxter.

We had wanted so badly to adopt an older cat, because everyone wants a kitten. He was so sweet and loving, but just didn't like Harley.

I felt so guilty and cried when I had to bring him back to the shelter. Reading that makes me feel even more guilty for what happened.

Karen

[

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Chin Lady
That makes me feel so guilty for what happened to Baxter.

We had wanted so badly to adopt an older cat, because everyone wants a kitten. He was so sweet and loving, but just didn't like Harley.

I felt so guilty and cried when I had to bring him back to the shelter. Reading that makes me feel even more guilty for what happened.
Don't beat yourself up! You had a good reason for returning him. He would of been too stressed living with a dog.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I know. I just fear that he was euthanised. Even after I told them I didn't want him put down.

I loved him so much. I just hope he wasn't euthanised and is living with great people.

Karen

[

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM

I can show living proof that the older cats are much more loving and bonding than most little kittens. Keep in mind that all of our cats are ferals living in the wild with almost no human contact and only a handful a year (out of about 300 cats a year) come out unadoptable. We have a cat named Magilla (he's a poly polydactil with eight toes on each of his front feet) and was not the most friendly cat in the world. Today he is the cutest thing going and one of my favorites. A couple of kittens that came in feral still to this day are not so friendly. I wish people didn't get so attached to the youngness or a specific color. I had one woman come in looking for kittens that matched the majority of her husbands suits - she never did leave with a kitten from us.

I am going to see if I can stencil the poem onto the wall in the cat room so people can have it plastered in their faces. I have had some people walk in looking at kittens and then just fall head over heels with an older cat and have never been happier about their decisions.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Dena, I can't believe someone would want kittens that only matched the colour of their's or anyone else's suits! If you can't stand seeing animal hairs everwhere, then you don't deserve a pet! Everyday I live in a house COATED in white hairs and I don't mind (except when it starts falling into the food ) and I accept that since Kirby is an "arctic beast," he will shed when it gets warm.

I think it would be a good idea to have that poem on the wall. Maybe it will make some people wake up and realise that an older kitty is just as good if not BETTER than a kitten! I find many people don't realise just how much time kittens need, and most of them are unaware of the high ENERGY LEVELS of the little buggers. Then, of course, they get mad when the kitten is bouncing off the walls tearing up everything.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:08 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dena I know exactly what you mean about people wanting kittens of certain colors, this past spring we went through 5 litters that we bottled fed, and granted not all made it, however the one's that did make it took a little time to adopt out, only because they weren't solid black, or they weren't all white, ect.... I am like your wanting a kitten to be a part of your family and your not wanting to pay for one yet you still tend to be so picky??? UGH!!!! I think the animal's choose you not the other way around so color shouldn't matter especially when it comes to shelter kitties. JMO!!
Rowan would you mind if I took that poem and placed it on the S.P.A.W.S. website? I may actually try to put together and end of the year newsletter similar to the one I did for spring/summer for NFOA and would love to place that in there as well, if you don't mind hun.
Also I may try to make a plaque out of it and translate to Italian and give it to Dr.Friz to place in her hospital/shelter as well.
I think Dena's idea of stenciling it on the wall is great

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 09-03-2004 at 02:11 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

I don't mind at all. The author is unknown. I've searched everywhere to try and find the author, but cannot, so the poem is given to the Great Anon.

I can understand if someone PREFERS a certain colour over another one, but that doesn't mean you should not accept anything BUT that colour. For example, I would like to adopt a Siamese cat. But this doesn't mean that I will ONLY adopt a cat if it looks like a Siamese. It's only a preference. I have a solid white cat and I'm a person that wears mostly black clothes! I can assure you I DID NOT pick Gerona's colours.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
white cat