The Microchip Drama - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

The Microchip Drama

Because I am comtemplating on bringing Booger back with me to Finland, I've been having to go ahead and see what the new legislations are on how to get Booger into Finland.

In November 2004, they changed the law to where now an animal has to be microchipped or tattooed to enter Finland. Seems fairly simple, right? WRONG. It can't be just any ol' microchip.

Here's what the site says:
2. Identification

The animal must be identified by a microchip or clearly readable tattoo. If the microchip does not comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO Standard 11785, the importer must provide the means necessary for reading the microchip. As of 3 July 2011 only a microchip will be approved as identification. The animal must be identified before the rabies vaccination. The information on the identification of the animal must also be entered to the vaccination certificates.

3. Vaccination against rabies

The animal must have been vaccinated against rabies with an inactivated vaccine of at least one antigenic unit per dose (WHO standard). The rabies vaccination and revaccination, if necessary, must have been carried out in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturing laboratory. The animal must be identified before the rabies vaccination. The vaccination must be carried out at least 21 days before import. In the booster vaccination no 21-day waiting period is required if the vaccination was administered within the period of validity of the previous vaccination. Unvaccinated young animals may not be imported to Finland.

The rabies vaccines currently applied in Finland are valid for two years if vaccination is carried out when the animal is over one year old.

-- http://www.mmm.fi/el/raj/tuo_elaimet_EU3.7.2004_en.html

After reading about those ISO standards, I have been on a wild goose chase to try and find a vet here that knows anything about it. They just want to sell me the regular ol' Avid microchip, which is NOT ISO compliant.

So, does anyone here know something about ISO compliant microchips here in the States?

And what about tattooing? It seems like that might be a better option at this point than microchipping. Does anyone have any basic information on this for me? Could I have it done while Booger is being neutered (I want to go ahead and have him neutered here--it's A LOT cheaper and if I can't take him back with me, then at least he would be neutered). Henry has a tattoo in his ear so I don't really have any problems with it as far as aesthetics go.

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone here have any information on tattooing? How does it work out (in terms of numbers picked, laws regarding it towards domestic pets, etc.)?
Once again, any and all advice is appreciated.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am not sure...my grandmas dog has a tat, but I am unsure how it works I will ask around

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i would try talking to a vet about the tattoo. another good option is a greyhound rescue org./breeder because all greyhounds in racing have tattoos.

make sure you know exactly what has to be on the tattoo.

good luck on taking booger back! what has sami said?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
good luck on taking booger back! what has sami said?
He's being a little more receptive to the idea now. His main concern is that Booger won't be able to transition from an outdoor cat to an indoor cat, so I'm working on that now.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Good luck Rowan, I hope you can find out more about the tattooing or microchipping from someone. I've not had much experience with either.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Good luck Rowan!!! Thats some crazy stuff right there!hehe m goign to be slightly stupid here. just take it to Mandies boyfriend maybe he can hook ya up.

Tags
indoor cat, outdoor cat