Microchipping - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Microchipping

Do anyone here have their cats microchipped?
I am considering having my girls done,just in case...after my beloved Hatchet went missing in July 2008,I am afraid it will happen again.My girls are indoor,but there is always that possiblity they could get out.Losing Hatchet was and still is painful and I would HATE the same thing to happen again...

So does anyone have theirs done?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My brother has his cats microchipped. I think it definitely helps people get pets back, but it's not a guarantee. Whoever finds them has to take them in to some vet or rescue that can read the chips. A lot of people may not think to check for the chip before deciding to just keep a cat that they've found.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
My brother has his cats microchipped. I think it definitely helps people get pets back, but it's not a guarantee. Whoever finds them has to take them in to some vet or rescue that can read the chips. A lot of people may not think to check for the chip before deciding to just keep a cat that they've found.
Yes,this is very true.Something I have thought about too.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Wouldn't information on the collar be enough?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Hello Earthling

Amadeus is chipped. I personally think it's a good idea since the collar might come off and it is just an extra safety measure.

GAMz- proper cat collars have buckels that allow the cat to 'break' (hense why they are called break away collars) so if the collar gets stuck the cat isn't stuck also.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 PM

I got a collar with my phone number embroidered on it for $5 at Petco. The kitty tries to follow us each time we leave the house and ran out once, so it's a chance I don't want to take. No one in my neighborhood will take in a collarless cat (probably even a collared one, but there's more of a chance.)
There are so many strays, on my block especially, that they are just ignored.

I guess you have to know your situation, whether a chip is the right choice.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Scout isn't microchipped but Oscar is because he came from the shelter. I don't let my cats outside, but it is another thing that keeps them that much safer.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMZu View Post
Wouldn't information on the collar be enough?
Yeah,IF the collar stays on.Collars can fall off or come off.One of my girl's,Anja,is known to chew the collars off of Berlin.And my cat that got out and I never seen him again,his collar was not on him when he got out.

So even with a collar there is no guarantee.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Hello Earthling

The only guarantee is if you could have a tiny GPS tracking device implanted into your cat.

Otherwise I personally always keep a collar on Amadeus and he is micro chipped, better then nothing.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My cat is microchipped, I think it's a good idea to do it because it can only help you.
The only thing is, it's proven that microchips migrate under the skin, i think my cat's is now on her ribs instead of between her shoulderblades. So people also sometimes don't think of scanning the whole cat rather than just between the shoulderblades.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think its worth it. If the people that find them are nice enough to want to find the kitty its home, then hopefully they'd bring it in. I honestly don't see any downsides, except for the price
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The price is not bad...about $30 I believe.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have all my animals microchipped, my cats are indoor only, but I am always worried they may get out somehow, we pay a yearly fee on each of the animals because we chose HomeAgain, it fit us best. My cats also have collars on, but as is requiered they are break away collars, meaning they will pop open if the collar gets snagged on anything (safety first in my house lol, always wrried they would climb something and then get hung) I know alot of people think microchipping isn't worth it, but I really want to try and have every base covered in the event of my babies ever getting out.

HomeAgain let me create pages for each of my pets so that I can update all the info on there and add photos to keep the info current, I love that aspect of it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you can afford it, it is very advisable. Here my neighbor's cat was missing for 6 months and was able to return home because of her microchip.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!