Milko gave me a heart attack today! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Milko gave me a heart attack today!

This morning I took Milko out with me to hang the clothes on the line...he had his collar with the id tag on it and a lead and was attached to the clothesline. Well he got the lead off the clothesline, which was fine. I picked it up and pulled on it lightly to get him to come back to me and he slipped the collar! HE has never ever ever done this before. I went to grab him and he slipped through the fence into the neighbours yard. I threw the clothes I had in my hand on the ground and went charging up the side of the house and into the neighbours yard (I considered knocking on their door but figured that would waste precious time so I just ran through. I talk to them normally so it would've been okay I'm sure) He was on their bbq. I called him and he looked at me but with the devil in his eyes so I knew he was going to take off again. I started wriggling my fingers hoping he would come and attack them but he was too smart for that. He looked at them for a little bit and then ran under the house. I was freaking cause if he kept going he would come out on the road! I just kept thinking 'you don't even have your id tag on cause it's on your collar.'
I went flying back into our house and grabbed some of the raw chicken breast Alex saved for him and Biscuit last night. I decided to go to the back of our house again to see if I could see him under the house. Well he was near the fence, still in the neighbours yard. I said his name, showed him the chicken and he came running to me. My heart was pumping so hard!
From now on he will be wearing his collar but will attached with a harness! I rang Alex and told him and he asured me that he would've come back when he was ready which is probably true but I just had images of either someone thinking he was homeless and grabbing him or of him being hit by a car. I'm so glad he is microchipped. A completely indoor cat and he still escaped. You just never know so it's always better to be safe than sorry!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

OMG Carmen! That is my biggest fear with Maggie. We don't allow her outside EVER, but you can still see the anticipation in her when she watches out the window.

I'm glad he came back when he did!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

how scary! i'm glad milko is alright.
i'm always afraid pixel is going to run out the door here, because there are busy streets on either side of us. i'll make sure to keep some chicken handy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I know how you feel! Riley managed to get out the door at Jeff's cabin last fall and ran for the beach. I think my heart skipped a few beats. I was chasing after her, yelling her name (as if she could hear me ). She finally stopped when she got to the water, but thank goodness she didn't decide to head up the beach!

I'm glad you got him back safe and sound!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg! that's the same reason that chaquita HAS to wear a harness for walks. she has a pointy face and can slip out of her collar! haha. good idea with the cat harness!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys! He completely freaked me out. You really know how much you love them when you are thinking you might not ever see them again!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

When Gerona was a baby, she would dart outside the door when you opened it (from the outside). She gave me so many scares it's amazing I don't have a grey hair from her! At first I could rattle her jingle balls and throw them in the house and she'd go darting in after them. But then, she got too smart for that. I started using my brother's rat terrier (whom she loved to play with) as a means of a decoy to get her out of the bushes or tree so I could snatch her up.

I'm SO glad that a) she doesn't door-dart anymore and b) we have two doors leading to the outside (have to go through the mudroom) so if she door darts the first time, you can catch her in the mudroom.

I took Gerona for a walk outside one day here and she slipped her collar. I was about to pee on myself I was so scared. Thankfully, she got stuck in some bushes and I grabbed her tail before she could slip through. So, Carmen, I say YES to the harness. It's amazing how easy the cats can slip from their collars. Also, make sure the harness is a bit snug. They can sometimes slip from those, too, if they're clever enough.

Hopefully you won't have another scare like this. I know how terrifying they can me ... And don't you just want to BEAT them when you finally catch them? How dare they scare the dickens out of you!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What a brat! Seshiro would be just like that! Thankfully if he gets out my door he's stuck on a small landing with doors at both ends. I'm glad you got him back safe and sound. I have yet to meet a cat that can't slip out of a collar though

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh Carmen! I know how freaked you must have been! I have a friend that used to take her Siamese on a lead in the yard like that and that happened to her too. She too was lucky and got her Angel back. I would definetly get a harness. Angel was never able to slip out of her harness and she accepted the lead much better with that as opposed to the collar

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, Milko needs to sit in the "naughty corner" (as Super Nanny would say). Carmen, my heart would have been pounding out of my chest too! I am glad the chicken breast worked!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I am so glad Milko is okay! That would've given me a heart attack too.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

My Angel used to do that all the time. It made me crazy! She'd run around the house and you could see how amuzed she was! She would get out of her harness too. It got to the point that I didn't let her out with me anymore.

My neighbors have 3 cats that sit so nice on their leashes. They are out for about an hour at a time. There are 3 of them! I so envied that.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

What a naughty boy Milko is!

Pumpkin would gladly run out the door if she got a chance! We can't open the door to go out to the backyard without her being there, or even opening it from coming back from the garage, she is right there! There's been several times we had doors open and we opened the one and she bolted! I'm so glad she didn't make it outside!!

Karen

[

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Its those darn orange cats I tell you. They are always up to no good.

Tags
indoor cat, rat terrier