On a mission ... declawing info needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

On a mission ... declawing info needed

After doing some more research on declawing for useful information, I read that it has been outlawed in Italy. However after doing some more searching I was unable to find out when it was outlawed......If anybody can find out when declawing a cat was outlawed in Italy I would greatly appreciate it, as I am now searching for this information due to the circumstances with Zucha the foster kitty that is deaf and was declawed about 6-8 months ago that we are keeping.
She appears to have a problem with her right paw everytime she is just sitting there she will hold her right paw up for a bit as though it is bothering her.
According to 3 sites it was outlawed and according to one site Italy follow under where it has either been outlawed or only performed under extreme circumstances.... So now my curiosity has me wondering if it is truly outlawed and when did it happen......
Thanks in advance for any help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

http://www.phsspca.org/training/declawing.htm
Written in '97, says most of Europe.

http://www.fve.org/papers/pdf/aw/pos...pers/00_66.pdf
Dated 2001, says Italy hadn't put it into legislation yet ...

Still searching ... (this is Jade. )
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

All these countries have banned declawing
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Wales, Yugoslavia

http://www.declawing.co.uk/declawingpif.html

Did you know all these countries have banned declawing or at least labeled it inhumane :
England, Scotland , Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Yugoslavia and Japan

http://www.declawing.co.uk/declawingonebyone.html

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the help I knew about the things Ninja Smurtles posted, as those are what I read.... Steph thanks for the help.... the reason I'm looking into this, is that if Zucha was declawed here in Italy a year ago and it was written as ban prior to that, I want to know what vet did it and how they could do something that is said to be banned by the country..... Yup I'm on a mission!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You go girl

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

About the lifting of the paw --- a few years ago, there was an unfortunate accident on the stairs and I ended up tripping/kicking my poor kitty down the stairs (while I myself slid down the stairs on my back and broke a finger). He sort of fell into the bookcase at the bottom of the stairs and when he started favouring his foot, we took him to the vet who noticed bruising underneath his pads on his foot. To this day, he still lifts his foot every so often. Sort of like he's going to kneed or something, but he doesn't... Just curls the foot a bit and then sets it down. Sometimes, he'll even lift the other foot.

I hope that it's something similar with Zucha, and not something serious!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Bex I've seen this before in declawed cats though the lifting of the paw, sadly it is sometimes related to nerve damage due to the declawing...I cringe just thinking about it.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
poor kitty