My 16 Year Old Cat seems to have forgotten where his box is. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

My 16 Year Old Cat seems to have forgotten where his box is.

We have a 16 year old cat named Aloicious, who has taken to peeing and pooping on the lovely letter mats that we put down in our daughter's play room. This is the room that used to be for the cat boxes. He was pooping and peeing on the carpet we had there before. When our other cat was run over by a car he seemed to change and start doing his business more and more on the floor rather than in his box. We are exhausted from cleaning up his poop and pee twice a day or more!
We just switched to his enclosed box which we cleaned thoroughly. He had been using the dead cats box but we thought maybe he wasn't using it out of love and respect for his departed friend. We just spent over $400 to have a vet run tests on him to see if there was a physical problem. Now we are left with what looks like a behavioral problem. We have tried putting aluminum foil all over that room, but he just walked around these 8 long pieces of aluminum foil and did his business. We are at our wits end and exhausted from all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
It's all for them

It sounds like this has been going on for a long time, so it may be difficult to break this habit, but I think it can be done.

The room needs to be completely cleaned, saturated, with a special enzymatic cleaner made specificlly to remove pet odors. Aloicious can still smell that the floor in that room has been used before, so to him, it is okay to continue to go there.

Where do you keep his litter boxes now? How many do you have?

Keep the door to the room he's been soiling in closed, so he can't get in there.

Give him at least two litter boxes. Why did you get an enclosed box? Many cats do not like enclosed boxes.

Use Cat Attract litter. While you are cleaning the room would be a good time to do the retraining.

For retraining, the cat is kept for two weeks in a very small room (or a large dog crate) with only enough area for his litter boxes, food and water dishes and a bed. He will be forced to use the litter boxes, as he will not want to soil his bed or feeding area.

You might want to try installing some feliway plug in diffusers too.

I'm glad you brought him to the vet and had the blood work and all done. That's important at his age.

Welcome to the forum, please keep us updated on how things are going.

PS I'm sorry for your loss of your other kitty.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Newborn Pup

I had this issue as well. After hiring a professional to come in and clean the carpets and keeping the room 100% off limits to him, he decided to take his business elsewhere. I was able to train him to start reusing his boxes and haven't had a problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's surely more on health issues. Hope he recover soon, how is he now?

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
litter box avoidance