My Boys Have A New Friend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

My Boys Have A New Friend

Well it looks like I'm joining Jade, Jane, and any other PT members that are feeding a stray kitty.

There is a tiny black cat that comes around here. She is always very afraid of me, but when I talk to her she stops and looks at me. She's been hanging out on my porch, sniffing at my kitties through the door! And its when the door is closed, and we don't have a screen door! But somehow they are able to smell each other, and I've noticed that Tiger and Ollie sometimes go to the door and smell it like something is out there. Well now I know why--I caught her on my porch today when I came home from the grocery store.

So of course, I can't resist feeding the poor little girl. I've seen her running around the apartments a lot, always looking for food. I think another lady feeds her too. She is very small and thin, but she's an adult. She looks like she's had kittens too. I would love to be able to tame her enough to find her a home, or bring her into mine ( like I don't have enough animals in my zoo ). I would love to be able to get her spayed and vaccinated at least. I put food and water on the porch so we'll see what happens. She's kind of feral but she has potential. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and what Mike says when he sees catfood on the porch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Mike is such a kind man. I just got off the phone with him and I told him about the kitty. He said "Did you put food out for her?" and I was like "Yes." And he said "Good, I would have done that too." Awwww, I love my husband.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've always been under the impression it was a bad idea to feed a stray cat unless you have it spayed or nuetered because otherwise you are helping the cat to get healthier and have more kittens, that will also become strays. Also, leaving the food out will probably attract the other strays from the area.
In the past, when I have encountered strays, I found it best to fully take it in and find it a home, and if that isn't possible, then let it go and hope it will find someone else that is able to. It's hard not to help an animal in need, but doing it half way could do more harm than good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha elise
I've always been under the impression it was a bad idea to feed a stray cat unless you have it spayed or nuetered because otherwise you are helping the cat to get healthier and have more kittens, that will also become strays. Also, leaving the food out will probably attract the other strays from the area.
In the past, when I have encountered strays, I found it best to fully take it in and find it a home, and if that isn't possible, then let it go and hope it will find someone else that is able to. It's hard not to help an animal in need, but doing it half way could do more harm than good.
As I said in my first post, I would be getting her spayed. If I can get close enough to her to take her in, I will. I totally agree that its not right to do things half-way. But right now I don't even know if she will let me get close to her, so I'm leaving food out in the hopes that she will learn to trust me.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

You rock for taking care of that cat! It's so nice to hear people do something nice to poor homeless animals!
My neighbors took in a whole herd of cats and they got them all fixed and three live inside with them now, so I definitely think you can try to tame this little lady. Good luck!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
You rock for taking care of that cat! It's so nice to hear people do something nice to poor homeless animals!
My neighbors took in a whole herd of cats and they got them all fixed and three live inside with them now, so I definitely think you can try to tame this little lady. Good luck!
Thanks Natalie. I will keep you updated!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope she comes around! I've not had any luck with mine.

Stephanie

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I hope she comes around! I've not had any luck with mine.
Thats too bad. We'll see how it goes with this girl. She seems to have potential.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Way to go!! I hope you get her!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

keep it up girl! i can pick up my stray cat now and everything. so i think it'll be ok!

btw - i tried to introduce the cat to my two dogs and while penny was fine (i knew she would be), chaquita was a little different. she was fine at first. but as soon as she got close enough and saw what i was holding, she started barking like crazy!! of course, the cat hissed and crawled up me and over the fence. so back to plan 1 - find him a home. hahahahaha!

good luck steph!! just try sitting down and calling the cat. also, try putting the food down next to you while sitting down, etc.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
keep it up girl! i can pick up my stray cat now and everything. so i think it'll be ok!
Thanks everyone. I put dry food out earlier today and it is completely gone. The dish was totally empty, so she must have come back and eaten the food. Its so weird that she comes to my place. I live upstairs on the end of the building, and its very open. She has to walk up like 15 steps to get to my porch, and the porch is small. Its so strange that she would go up there even before I put food out. And then tonight she came back and ate the food. How did she know the food was there? Very weird. Maybe her old owners used to live here and moved without her? I don't know.

I put a little more food out and I'm sure it will be gone in the morning. I wish I had a screen door so I could see her come and go. I'm sure she'll start hanging around though if I keep putting food out, and then I can start working with her. She's so cute. One time Ollie was sitting in the computer room window, and she was outside. They were looking at each other for the longest time. Then she went over and scratched on the tree and looked back at him. It was cute. I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens, and post pics when I can.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:06 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha elise

My friend's mother is the Stray Cat Saint in her area. Any stray cat in their area ALWAYS appears at her back doorstep. There's always food out for them (and occassionally a opossum or two has helped themselves to it ). The feral ones are caught in traps and taken to the vet to be sterilised.

While I partially argree with your statement, you have to always think about this: What if you live in an area which doesn't house many people who are fond of cats? I would rather feed a feral stray and have it stay semi-safe around my place than NOT feed it and have it wander to a place that is less safe than mine. And from personal experience, over time ferals tend to warm up to the person that feeds them, and eventually may even let you pet them--as was the case with The Madame, a feral that turned up in my greenhouse one day while still living in Louisiana.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thats great that you are helping her. I hope she trusts you soon! She sounds like a cutie.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys. I put food out again last night and its gone again this morning. I still can't believe this girl used to climb all those steps before I put food out! Its crazy. I have the smallest little staircase right next to a street, and a tiny open porch. You wouldn't think a feral cat would go up there. And how did she know I put food out there? Am I being watched? Mike has a funny theory. He says that the little girl is Ollie's long lost buddy (I found Ollie wandering this complex too.) So Mike says that she sees him sitting in the window all fat and happy, and hopes that she will get that chance too! I know she has seen him in here and I've seen them looking at each other. Wouldn't that be weird if they used to know each other? They may even be siblings! I doubt it though because Ollie was never even close to feral. He came running up my steps and jumped into my lap purring, and he isn't afraid of anyone. So I don't know what his story is, or if he was just a very unusual stray. Who knows?

Anyway, I know I'm babbling on now. Its just I don't know any of my animals "stories" because they have all been rescued or adopted. I hope I can help this little girl out. If I ever get to see her on my porch, I can start working with her.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I just got back from Wal-mart and as I was approaching my apartment, a black streak flew down my stairs. Little Miss black kitty had been up there (even though there was no food). She went and hid in the bushes. I put more food out and now she is sitting at the bottom of the steps, just staring up at me. I have the kitchen window open and Ollie is sitting in it looking down at her. She will probably eventually come up the stairs to eat. I wish she wasn't so afraid of me.

Tags
black cat, canned food, dry food, litter box