My cat is driving me nuts - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Angry My cat is driving me nuts

UGH.

Don't get me wrong, I love kitty when she's nice. But..

She goes nuts. Like, absolutely crazy. I understand cats do this especially when they're young, which is why I wanted an older cat. I didn't want to deal with crazy cat time. I'm a bit angry with the shelter telling me she was an adult, but after a few days with her I can tell she's not even a year old. Probably more like 10 months. UGH. Just because she had kittens for some reason she was labeled as an adult.

She drives me insane though. Especially because she wakes up in the middle of the night and goes batsh*t insane. Last night was awful. I don't think she slept at all, and I definitely hardly did. Any advice on what to do when cats go nuts like this?? Last night, I put her out of our room, so she could go crazy in the living room. An hour later, she comes back and cries at the door to our room FOREVER. Then I let her back in, and she goes nuts in our room. Its really wearing on me. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Get her a kitty friend. Sorry...but I personally think that's the only way. That way they can amuse one another.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, she came in with a sister and she does miss friends, she catches glances of herself in mirrors and I'm absolutely sure she mistakes herself for her sister. But honestly, thats not really realistic for me right now. The house is definitely not big enough for two cats, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to pay for two cat vet bills.

And I don't want to risk the fact that two cats would almost be crazier than one. It really doesn't help the awful crying outside our door behavior and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

How about a big "cattree" or what they call them? (like this http://www.petdreams.dk/katteartikle...9ku6mm7t04peq3 <-- the page is in danish, but it's just to show the pics )

It's also possible to get a ball you put treats in. They are not just for dogs

This might be something http://cats.about.com/od/cattoy1/gr/garfieldpanic.htm

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh man that garfield thing looks amazing. I'm sure that would be great for her. I would love to get her more toys, but it seems like all cat toys have cat nip in them! And I'm not sure if I want to give her catnip, I'm not sure how she'll react or whatnot.

And a cat tree would be amazing, if only I had the money for a sweet one. But I may just have to dish it out, or commission my roommate to make one.

Maybe she does just need more toys in the living room. I saw advice on putting a bed in the living room, and maybe I will try shutting the door to my room more often so she has to feel comfortable in the whole house.

I would like her to sleep with me, but if she goes crazy at any given moment during the night it's absolutely awful. So I'm going to try and shut her out for longer periods at night, or should I just go cold turkey and not let her in?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Just don't let her in. She's a cat, if you tried shutting her out for longer periods of times, she'd find more irritating ways to fight back. If you don't want her in your room, for sure, you need to completely close the door, literally and figuratively, so she knows there is NO walking all over you. Making a cat tree is a ton more inexpensive than buying one... FYI. Constantly switching toys out, like everyday might help. Or give her things to investigate. But I can totally understand if she's bored and you guys are in bed. She might actually appreciate being with you guys. Ever been left alone in a house? Some people will turn on the tv, listen to their radio, or call their friends because they cannot stand it being so quiet. You could try setting a radio in the room where she is at night, and switch the radio station daily.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Hello Earthling

I agree more toys and things to attack and climb on would be very helpful.

With Amadeus (who likes to run around and be crazy also) we have taken to locking him in the laundry room (where his litter box and food are) and it works great. He has gotten use to being locked up at night and releases his energy in the morning by doing laps around the house.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wish we could lock her in the bathroom, but she meows so much it drives me crazy. Its definitely for attention, and also to be in a place she feels more comfortable. I wouldn't have a problem with letter her out at night to go crazy and letting her in when she's calm, but she still is crazy. She also goes after the gecko too (which he thinks is the most entertaining thing in the world). I don't mind her watching him, but she scratches and picks at his cage door which makes the worst sound especially at night.

I think I will go look at cat trees tomorrow. I think it may also be stress, as we left for two days this weekend. She kept us up all night last night, so we've been trying to keep her awake as much as possible today. She's got her grumpy eyes on right now lol.

What do you guys think about toys with catnip? Is it a good or bad idea to give her a toy with it? I see some great toys she would love, but I'm deterred by the catnip. . .Should I be?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Our little guy Sly is a little terror as well. The best thing to do is get lots of toys and things for the cat to attack and play with. Sly sometimes attacks our other cats. Hes just playing but he doesnt realize they are alot older then him. He also has learned if he does something he should we say in a firm voice "SLY NOO" he usually looks at us and stops.

Ninja and Sly both cry to come in our bedroom. My husband usually doesnt want them in there since hes allergic. But they are relentless and we give in. ITs our own fault lol. Cats are smart, if they cry and whine at the door they know you will open it up for them eventually just to make them shut up.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Early today when she started to go crazy, I put her out of our room, and when she would come and whine/bang on the door I would spray her with water. It actually worked quite well! Until she went to my roommates door and did the same thing, knowing he would let her in. lol. As I heard him open the door to his room, I heard "WHAT DO YOU WANT KITTY?!?!" hahahaha. I'll tell him the trick later today.

I'm going to petco today to pick up some sort of cat tree and toys. I think a big issue with her is that she always had a friend to play with, and now she doesn't know how to entertain herself. She gets lonely when she's not with somebody and when she is with someone, its play-crazy time. So I guess I'll have to look for toys that 'play' with her too....
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello Earthling

I would keep her away from the gecko. One small scratch from the cat can kill your gecko.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've also decided to limit the time she spends in our room. She probably won't get any time today. Even as we were up in the living room today, she sat by my door and whined. I'm not giving in
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out the gecko situation... I think I may put clear duct tape on the grate so she'll stop picking at it, also I've been spraying her when she gets near it. Hopefully she'll learn quick.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Part of the Pack

Sounds like she's definately bored and lonely. My hubby's kitty, Lucky, would miss him because he worked so much and at night would sit and claw the side of the bed until he'd wake up and pet him. He would get sooooo mad! I'd like to say your kitty will outgrow it, but who knows? Cats are so hard to predict. About the catnip, I had a terribly scary experience with one of my cats with it. She got totally crazy high on it and was very paranoid and wouldn't come out from behind the couch for a whole day & night. I definately took it away from her. I have heard it can be deadly. Maybe a tiny bit would be okay, but I would watch her very closely and see how she reacts to it, or not give it at all.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor kitty. I would agree, she's definitely lonely and bored. I'm just not sure how to curb that. I never knew much about cats, but I always thought they kinda did their own thing. :/

I just got some toys with catnip in them, and kitty passed right out lol. I read somewhere that it only lasts for a few minutes, is that true? It also said that after that it takes them about an hour or two to be succeptable to it again. I think the toys only have a little amount, but I'm not sure.

I hope she outgrows this stage, I'm on the road to insanity if she doesn't. She gets very bitey and aggressive when she's in her crazy mode too, which just frustrates me to no end. I kind of wish I would have brought her sister home with us too :/