My Cat had a Stroke - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

My Cat had a Stroke

**some of this is copied and pasted from my intro post**

Jasmine is my Kitty Girl. She is 2 1/2, we adopted her from a rescue agency when she was 4 months old, and she is the sweetest lil furry girl I ever had! She is an indoor cat, she is very sweet natured, she sits on my lap and lets me clip her claws, she is purry and very loving. She never goes outside her litter box either. She has never had any health problems, and always goes to the vet for her shots and checkups.

To make a long story short, I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, and the day I came home from the hospital (my Mom was staying here watching the kids but she had her hands full, she may not have noticed), Jasmine literally was falling over to one side, she could not stand up! She also got very upset and cried and cried when she fell over. My ex-husband rushed her to the vet, who said she had an ear infection, and prescribed antibiotics and ear ointment. I have mainly been in bed recuperating from my surgery, but I didn't think Jasmine's meds were working as well as they should. Then yesterday, she was falling again, all to the left side, ex and I took her to the animal ER this time. After xrays, blood work, and tests coming up normal, the ER vet diagnosed her as having a stroke or "other ischemic brain event". He said she is not in pain, and is healthy except her legs are buckling on that left side. She leans while walking, often falls, and she seems dazed. She also is not grooming herself, and that is not like her -- she is normally primping, preening, and prancing.

I also am wondering if she is seeing out of the left eye, it just looks like it is not right.

She does not understand that she is so off balance, and she keeps trying to climb up on things, and she falls. I just had surgery and am not moving quick, but I am doing my best (so are the kids) to keep her from falling and hurting herself.

We were crying and basically devastated at the news that she had had a stroke, but I did a search on Google today and found some stories from several other cat owners whose cats were able to overcome this with time and TLC. Jasmine is a very loved member of our household, and I told the kids if any of the rest of us had a stroke we would do the same thing, help the sick family member, and take care of her so she hopefully gets better.

Any advice, especially any ideas how to help her rehabilitate, would be much appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Theirmom99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aww poor baby! I hope she gets better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
cat, stroke