My Cat keeps spraying..! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Question My Cat keeps spraying..!

My 6yr male cat (who has been fixed) is spraying constantly around the house. he shares the house with two other cats (6yr old male and 5yr old female). He and the other male get along fine but the female and him antagonise each other. Also, our next door neighbours have 12 CATS. (No laws in our area about that kind of thing) which annoy him constantly! He is an indoor cat but has a run he can go out into.

We have tried Rescue Remedy in their water bowls to settle them all down. Also tried Ustilago Maydis and Levamapromazine (sp??) - Homeopathic remedies. Sometimes he will stop for a day or two and then start again. Also use Feliway around the house. No luck. PLEASE... any suggestions would be so gratefully received!

- Rachael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh my goodness, Rachael what a situation!! I have a problem with my male cat, Snuggles urinating in the house. The vet said it was most likely a behavioral issue, ruled out a urinary infection. It started when I had gotten this awesome covered box called the litter robot, well he didn't like the cover!

Hmmm he's actually spraying or is he urinating in puddles? (I know that sounds weird LOL, my cat Snuggles pees in puddles on the carpet in certain spots in my living room, so I was wondering) And it's in all areas of the house? Wow...it sounds like he is having a major issue with the other kitties and is sure marking his territory. Oh no! And Feliway didn't work, either?!?!?!?! Dena first told me about that and my vet has highly recomended it, too. Are you using the spray or the plug in? Is he doing it on the carpet or tile? I talked with my vet about medications for behavioral problems. She suggested the Feliway and another medication to calm his bladder (called Cosiquin) first, but there are medications you can get. Hmmm..Have you talked to your vet about what's happening? Man, poor guy!!!! And poor you!!! I know how that smell can be!
I hope he gets better! Keep us updated on how he is.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

My Cat keeps srpaying..!

Yeah... it is a bit of a problem! But we're determined to find a solution. Im sure it's all the other neighbourhood cats which are causing his stress... but we cant do anything about that, so need to calm him down! Incidently, he has had problems with FLUTD in the past ... but (fingers crossed) he hasnt had that problem for a while!
He kinda leaves little puddles sometimes, but its the tail that goes up and quivers then... next thing you know he's done it again!
Its the Feliway spray we have, I havent seen the plug in, that sounds like a good idea tho. It's hard to be angry at him cause he's not being naughty (I dont think) just being a cat and marking his space! He has some favourite spots but geneerally it'll just be anywhere he feels like peeing! Thanks for your reply kittygurl... - Rachael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Part of the Pack

Has your vet recommended any type of stress free prescription medication....like Amitriptyline (anti-depressant)? I say this because my vet suggested Amitriptyline on two occassions. Both times it was when we brought our dogs home. I separated my two cats and the dogs each time, and they had their safe haven space to get away from the dogs, however my older cat still seemed depressed or stressed...So, he started urinating out side of the litterbox. He didn't urinate anywhere else in the house, just outside. So, I had to keep paper there for a little while. I kept him on the medication for about 1 month, and then he started urinating back inside of the litterbox. Now, he is fine. I guess it took some getting used to the dogs in the house. My other cat had no problems with them dogs.

'Berry 4ever in my
RIP 5/27/91-4/4/05
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Miss New Booty

Good advice Mary!
I also forgot, there is an awesome cat litter called Cat Attract.
http://www.preciouscat.com/
I wonder if you can get this where you live? I have used it and it has worked great, I think that's what I need to go get some more of!!
Yeah, the Feliway plug in looks awesome!! Here is the link for that, if you want to check it out!
http://www.feliway.com/html/detail.php3/pID=2

~* Jackie *~

Tags
indoor cat, male cat, water bowl