My cat refuses to walk, help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

My cat refuses to walk, help!

Any ideas on what could be wrong with my cat?

The other day, I came home from work to find my cat laying on the floor in an odd spot. Normally, he runs to the door when I get home, but this time, he refused to get up. I checked him out and tried to set him on his feet. When I did this, he hunched his back, and then kind of flopped over. He didn't appear to be in pain, and he was purring when I was petting him.

My first thought was that he fell off of a table that he likes to go on to eat plants. I took him to two vets, and after several tests, they can't figure out what's wrong with him. It's been four days now since this happened.

For the last few days, he won't eat, drink, or get up to use the litter box (he just goes on himself). I'm trying to force feed him as well as giving him water through a syringe. He just lays there with his front paws crossed. The only time he tried really moving was when I put him in the bathtub to wash him off.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my cat? I did pick him up as a stray, and the vet couldn't put an age on him, due to his teeth being so bad...but he is an older cat. It's killing me to see him like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you need to bring him to another vet, there is definetly something wrong if hes not eating or drinking

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Cats don't necessarily purr because they're happy. They purr when they're ill or about to die, too. Purring doesn't necessarily equate health or even happiness - it's a self-comfort sort of thing. Did they check his liver or kidneys? He could have acute liver or kidney disease - it's common in cats fed dry food because it stresses out their organs so much. What's the color of his gums?

I'm assuming he just won't eat his regular food. Try offering him canned food(again, this is assuming you feed dry) or boiled chicken and rice. See if he'll eat those.