My cat is throwing up...stuff. Any takers to help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation My cat is throwing up...stuff. Any takers to help?

While I was reading my book on the couch today, I heard a retching noise. I looked into the 'office room' to see where it was coming from(Lightning was locked in there visiting Trixie, who's in confinement) and I saw Lightning sitting front of a puddle, retching and gagging. The puddles looked like blood, only they were a little pinkish and a sort of whitish substance in the center. We haven't taken her to the vet yet, but she does have an appointment. Any help, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Was it only one time? Has her eating habits changed?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I remember reading about cats puking up blood when eating Science Diet, and having to be euthanized they got so sick. Is she eating Science Diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The vet said to confine her, so we did, and to give her a 'bland diet'. We gave her some chicken rice, and she ate a bit of chicken. She ate the 1 1/2 cat treats we gave her, along with a little bit of cat food. She's been drinking only water that comes from the sink. She eats Iams cat food. We're stll not sure what's wrong with her, though...

~~~EMMA~~~
Mother of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~PoohBear, Femur, Trixie, Thunder, and Lightning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Azula
~Emily Dot and Sprocket
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If she starts puking up blood, you need to get her off Iams. Iams is only slightly better than Science Diet or Purina, that is... while there are hundreds of consumer complaints out there of Purina brands and Science Diet products making their cats and dogs so sick they died/nearly died/had to be euthanized, I don't recall any devastating reports on Iams pet food. Just... watch her closely. If she starts getting lethargic and puking up blood, find a different food that is not one of those three brands. I've seen cats and dogs eating Iams that look pretty healthy, but Iams is still at fault, much like Science Diet and Purina, of obtaining meat byproducts which constitute an assortment of nasty things like euthanized cats and dogs, roadkill, and slaughtered livestock unfit for human consumption due to disease. Maybe Iams is more wary of where they get their meat byproducts, or perhaps they're more considerate and put restrictions on what goes into it...I don't know, but, as I said, don't look at Iams as any sort of hero, if she gets worse, do consider changing her onto a brand that's not one of those three.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We let her out of confinement and she is doing fine now. Right now she's sleeping after running around the house with her brother.

~~~EMMA~~~
Mother of:

~ Azula
~Emily Dot and Sprocket
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Great
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
If she starts getting lethargic and puking up blood, find a different food that is not one of those three brands
PLEASE, if she pukes up blood, DO NOT JUST CHANGE HER DIET. Honestly, that is absolutely crazy. If she pukes up blood, she needs to be taken to a vet and checked for parasites, digestive issues (puking up stomach bile), and/or esaphogus irritation. Changing foods is not the first answer. THE FIRST ANSWER IS VET.

That said, it may have just been an upset tummy, but if she does puke like this again take her to the vet and explain in detail what the puke had in it. Since the puke was not food (or was it?), it is troubling. I would continue for a while feeding her the bland foods, and better wet food would be best. Changing foods may be the answer, but please don't go experimenting first thing while your cat pukes up blood.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

..Duh. o.O Vet first, then change the food.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The vet had said that it could be something as simple as a little virus, but what ever it was, I think she's over it now.

~~~EMMA~~~
Mother of:

~ Azula
~Emily Dot and Sprocket

Tags
cat, pink stuff, vomiting