My cat won't stop peeing! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My cat won't stop peeing!

I have had my cat Elmo since he was 8 weeks old, hes now 5 years old. I can't figure out what is wrong with him! The last year he has been peeing in his litter box but about 2 times everyday he will use it else where, against my wall, on the tile. I can't keep cleaning pee up everyday! This is disgusting!! Anyone know what could be wrong?

We have taken him to a vet and the doctors say try another litter box (Since we have one other cat with him), we have done so and hes still doing it!!

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Serving the Exotic pets since 2005
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is he neutered? Sometimes even neutering won't stop a male cat from spraying things to mark his territory. Peeing "against the wall" sounds a lot like spraying which is territorial, and not doing it just to empty his bladder.

By rights every cat is supposed to have their own litter box anyway. You may want to add a few more, otherwise, you may have to use stud pants to stop it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 PM
It's all for them

Did your vet take a urine sample to check for urinary tract infecitons and crystals in the urine? That is almost always the cause of sudden on set litter box avoidance.

Another cause could be stress. Think about your lives very carefully lately. Something you would not think of as stressful could be causing him stress. New person or pet, or one less person or pet in the household.

New furniture. Unusual activity (more noisy, for example)

Change in litter, change in food, change in laundry detergent.

A strange animal outside in the yard, especially a non neutered male, could cause this.

If a urine culture has not been done, have it done.

Install feliway plug in diffusers, these help both with stress and with territorial issues.

Have at least three litter boxes.

Keep all litter boxes scrupulously clean. Scoop them all at least three times a day, dump and scrub, putting in all new litter, once a week

I just had a thought...is he peeing outside the litter box, or is he just standing up in the litter box and peeing on the wall?

You can get high sided litter boxes..use plastic tote boxes. I have a female cat who pees standing up, I use these:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Did your vet take a urine sample to check for urinary tract infecitons and crystals in the urine? That is almost always the cause of sudden on set litter box avoidance.

WOW! Amazing idea with the plastic bin...going to have to try that. The doctor has tested for issues with his bladder and crystals...doesn't seem to be it.

We have had ALOT of change this last year with moving into a new home...this is a huge possibility...

He is neutered and does not spray. He usually just pops a squat near a wall or right outside the litter boxes. Every now and then he pees RIGHT by the front door, right in my foot path. LOL

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Serving the Exotic pets since 2005

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
It's all for them

This definitely sounds like stress and territorial marking. Moving is very hard on cats. Even if he doesn't appear stressed, he is most likely feeling it.

And would you know if the previous tenants had cats? (or even dogs)

If he can smell the urine of other cats or dogs he will want to cover it with his scent. And once his scent is on everything, well he's going to continue to pee there.

1) install feliway plug in diffusers. This will help with both territorial feelings and stress.

2) Using an enzymatic cleaner made specifically for cat urine, all soiled areas must be fully cleaned. Even if you can't smell it, unless you use an enzymatic cleaner, he still will be able to.

Enzymatic means it breaks down bacteria. There are several good ones on the market. Nature's Miracle, Nok Out, Stink B gone, (I know some of the names are terrible, LOL) and..hmm there is another one I always see recommended, but I can't think what it is now.

And ALL soiled spots must be eradicated. Some may take more than one cleaning. To find them you need a black light. Shine the black light every where, the urine stains will show up under the black light.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Newborn Pup

wow, that litterbox/plastic bin with the huge sides is a GREAT tip. thank you for that....

as for enzyme cleaner, i really like 'kids 'n pets' cleaner.... i think they offer a free bottle if you become their fan on facebook.

miss evelyn, enid & oliver hopscotch (not yet pictured)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Newborn Pup

You can also try adding something to the litter called "cat attract".
If none of these things help, he might need to be medicated for a little while.
Vets typically use "Elavil"(amitriptyline).
But even that could take up to a month to kick in, or might not even work, but it's worth a shot if all else fails.
GL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Newborn Pup

I have one kitty who has chronic UTI's one way you can tell if that's the problem is if the urine smells very strong. Also, did the vet do an ultrasound to check for stones, that could be an issue as well.

Also, try a different litter. I went through several before I found one that my cat can use, even when it's painful for her to urinate. I believe it's called World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn. It is a little more expensive, but cats seem to be attracted to it and it covers up the smell way better than any other litter.

Also, if he urinates in the same places constantly get either a honeysuckle or catnip spray and spray it where he goes. Make those places a play area rather than a bathroom area. This worked very well with my cats and they LOVE it. I use the sprays all over my house.

I'm never having children. I have two cats. Sisters no less.

Mother to:

Neko

Cleo

Tags
cat