My cats are fighting... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy My cats are fighting...

My cats have started to fight out of thin air.. I have a boy, Blue (1 yr old) and a girl, Boots (9 months old). The fighting started as soon as I brought Blue home from the vet. She became very rebellious; hissing and scratching at Blue for no apparent reason. The only other time I've seen her react like this was when she saw a stray cat at my window. Boots is intimidating Blue to the point where I have to lock her in her traveling cage just so Blue can even think about eating. Could it be that she no longer recognizes Blue after being gone for several hours?
Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Females are dominant in the hierarchy; it's likely she's maturing and realizing that she must claim dominance over him. After being separated, the feeling probably intensified even more that she must make him realize she's dominant. Leave them alone. They'll sort it out. That's how cats establish dominance, and as long as they're not drawing blood badly, they'll sort it out. Blue will either relent to her dominance, or go hungry. When Blue shows her respect by submitting to her dominance, she'll leave him alone to eat. But try not to get involved, they'll sort it out soon enough. You'll only make it worse by interfering.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 07-13-2010 at 01:04 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile meek one

I guess at some point in the night she tried to establish dominance and lost. She walks around a little scared but is being civilized with Blue so that's good. She's being meeker than usual though. Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self.
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ah, He may have won because he's older and thus a little wiser. Keep an eye out though, 'cuz they may duke it out again for dominance in the future until they're satisfied.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
It's all for them

Actually it's most likely because Blue smells like vet. He does not smell like he should, and so to Boots, he is a different cat. To a cat, smell is everything and it is how they recognize each other.

Things should be fine in a day or two, when the vet smell wears off.

This can be a real problem for some cats with the hostilities lasting a week or two even. To help forestall it in future, any time either cat goes to the vet, use the Vanilla trick.

Put a drop of cooking vanilla (not perfume) on the nose, chin and root of tail of both cats as soon as you get back from the vet. This way they will both smell the same, and it gives a little time for the vet smell to wear off.

Tags
cat fights