My Cats HATE my dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

My Cats HATE my dog

How long does it take a cat to accept a dog. I brought my dog to our house 6 months ago and my cats completely hate him. They hiss and swat at him... a couple times hitting him in the face. He just wants to play with them but they want nothing to do with him.

When should I expect a Hallmark-like card in my home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Every animal is different, some will never accept eachother. I have had my dog for over 2 years now and my cats and dog still don't get along. I have to keep them seperated, it really sux! My dog just wants to play with them, but she's too big and too rough with them. I've tried almost everything to get them to live in harmony, but I can't see anything working. all I can say is good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

well. this may not help, but i'll tell you anyways

growing up we had a rotty and a chocolate lab. then we got a cat. they met and things went lousy. but letting them all have the run of the house, to chase and hide, eventually taught them how each other works. you chase me, i hide. my dogs liked to just bop the cat with their snout, then one day the cat got tired of it and grabbed ahold of said snout with all front claws. now the dogs leave the cat alone.

now, i know the risks of this, i.e. cat claw in eye syndrome. so i don't really recommend it, it's just what my parents chose to do. but....it did work

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

While that is good advice for some, I tried it and it didn't work. My dog won't eat when the cats are around, well she will a little bit when she just gets too hungry, but not enough. She would end up getting very thin! Another reason I think it didn't work was because I put my dog in her kennel for night, so then the next day it starts all over again, like she's never seen them before, lol.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Hi there!
I have 2 cats which completly hate all other animals especially Dog. We just got a dog about 3 weeks ago and we started them off slowly, then after about 1 week we put them all in a room together. Our dog was wacked over the head a couple of times but that is just our cats showing her who is boss, now the are starting to get on. Meybe you should just lock them up in a room for a night and see what happens.

GOOD LUCK I HOPE THEY ALL GET ON!!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM

I do NOT recommend that! It will stress the animals out to much and they could get hurt!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

with the 4 dogs and Tigger we let Tigger know that we would protect him always when the dogs are around, so he trusted in the situation...I do discipline the dogs for chasing any cat...and now they see a cat and tend to ignore it 99% of the time...we introduced them slowly and we did it in a way were we had control...we did it in the living room, we had the dogs on the leash just in case (my puppies can be a little hyper) but once Tigger set his dominence all was ok in the house lol...but it did take a few months of working with them everyday.

There is still 1 cat the dogs chase, hes a big tom that waits for them on the fence, will even meow super loud so they see him lol then he runs back and forth on the fence while they chase him...I gave up on trying to stop them with that guy cause he seems to like it lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Happy Dancer,

How did you stop your dog from chasing the cat? We have code word "no cat" to stop him from chasing the cats but he just runs at them.. of course just to play.

It's so bad that the ony time I see my cats is when I go to the basement or when Kasey is in his crate. The only time they come up is when Kasey is in his crate.

I see a big change in their social skills every since we got Kasey.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we used everything...we said no and used a water bottle as well as a can with pennies in it...we would also put them on "time out" for doing it (time out is when we make them lay with us on the floor with the leash til they have calmed down) we were persistant and kept at it all the time...sometimes Leia was soaked from the spray bottle, but it did work because now they are all good with each other...we asked behaviorists as well as a few trainers on how to get them to stop and this is what I was told to do, its really important to get them to calm all the way down when they get excited so that they give off a different vibe to the cat

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:40 PM

My dog has never got along with any of our cats. It's so strange because we got him as a puppy and the cats have always been here. Nothing we have tried works. We have found that he gets along with the male gets better, especially once they've been fixed. He weighs over 10 times what they do, so maybe he's just the big bossy type. We've lived 10 years without them getting along and nobody's been hurt yet.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I guess, maybe not all animals are meant to be friends. I have heard that if you get the dog first and than the cat as a kitten. There is more chances of them being friends. I guess Dogs are more accepting than cats!

Tags
chocolate lab