My first cat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

My first cat!

well, I have been wanting a new critter and I got one! My landlord asked me if I wanted some kittens, and after thinking about if for a while I decided to get one.

He is a little boy. He is just 5 weeks old. Mostly white, with grey spots here and there. Oh yeah, and he is a short haired cat. I actually know next to nothing about cats so I did research online. I got him a litter box, cat litter, a litter scooper, toys, a baby blanket, and of course water and food bowls. I put him on kitten chow with just a little bit of milk re placer on top. I have had him for three days now and he is doing very well. He plays, purrs, and all the normal kitty stuff. He really likes the dogs. He keeps trying to play with them but the dogs act so funny! Its like the dogs want to play with it, but they do not know how.

Right now i have the kitten confined to the hallway and bathroom when I cannot watch it. It is using the litter box every time! We have not even had one mishap.

now I have a few questions.

Are there any tips to help me raise a kitten with two dogs? How do you keep dogs out of the litter box and food bowl?
How do you train a cat to not jump on top of the counter tops and tables? I know it will be sometime before he can do that, but I do not ever want him to start.
When can I put him on nothing but the dry kitten food?
When do we switch to cat food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Playful Pup

congrats on getting the kitten

I can only offer 2 suggestions for keeping him off of the counters or anywhere else you dont want him. Squirt guns work great for keeping our cats away from the Christmas tree. As for counters I found a spray localy (not sure if it is sold nation wide or even available any more as we have not needed it for a few years) that is designed to keep cats off of things. I think it was actually called "Stay Off Spray".

As for keeping the dogs out of the litter box??? The only way we have been able to do that is with a baby gate. Their litter box and food is in our laundary room which makes it easier for us to keep the dogs out, but when we had it in our bathroom we could not keep them out.

Could not tell you about the kitten to cat food though. Hope that helps. Enjoy the little guy!!!

Munch, Squeek, Cuddles, & Jumper - Degus
Zander & Casey - Dogs
Footsie & TJ - Cats
Nemo & Rainbow - Goldfish
Goo & Boo - Toads
Toto - Hermit Crabs

RIP Hermit & Herman (Hermit Crabs)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats on the kitten.
5 weeks is too young to be away from mommy though.
Did you name him???

The dogs and kitty will warm up to eachother and get used to eachother.Just make sure the dogs are gentle...sometimes dogs play too rough with kitties and don't realize they are too rough.

A squirt bottle works well for keeping him off counters/tables.However I noticed,then they be more sneaky and will get up there when your in another room or not home.It is very hard to keep cats off of surfaces.I detest cats being on counters and tables...so like I said,squirt bottles work pretty well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh and if you want to know of a really awesome,knowlagable cat forum...PM me! It is great there!!

* Lisa *

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Congrats on the kitten...

With the dogs and the liter, lol aside from locking it away, you just gotta keep after them and train them...it has taken us forever...but they no longer go for it, and when we aren't home our kitten stays in Ashleys room, just incase...

As for the kitten and dogs getting along, if the dogs have yet to chase, snap or attack in any way, you are off to a great start...my dogs all have been raised with cats so they are amazing with them, Lady plays with Frahnz all the time (I think its cause Frahnz is the only thing her size lol) Just keep a close eye on them and do as you have been by keeping them seperated when you aren't home...

Just wondering why the kitten was seperated from mommy so soon, was there a problem? My dads cat rejected her kittens so we bottle fed til they were 5 weeks old...then they started eating solid food, but the silly things nursed on everything after that (vet said it was cause they were seperated from their mom way to early). I hope all goes well and I am looking forward to seeing the pics

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Thanks for all of the helpful info. My landlor has been bottle feeding them. The mother got ran over.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

I forgot to mention that my kittens parents are feral, and so were the grandparents, etc. The dogs have been getting along pretty good so far. Chance snaped at it, but it got between it and his bone when my back was turned for a second. Chance also keeps pushing it with his nose and rolling it around. Ruckus has been an angel with it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I had 2 cats a few years ago that were the babies of a feral mom, they came from a feral colony in Morro Bay, and they were the best kitties ever, Patches and Gaby...

I am so sorry to hear about the mommy, and kudos to your landlord for caring enough to bottle feed them I am so glad they got saved

One of my Golden Retrievers, Leia, is not overly fond of our cat, she would never hurt it, but if he climbs on her she lets him know its not ok lol...the other dogs all baby the kitten, really just depends on the dogs temperment. Sounds like all will be well with yours though They sound like they are adjusting so well

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Did you name him yet?

* Lisa *

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Ahh...litter box raids. So gross to us and so yummy to dogs. Years ago my cocker spaniels would do that any chance they got.
We kept the litter box in the basement in this house. So when we got Frank he was too afraid to go downstairs because they are not carpeted. Now the litter boxes are upstairs and since I have bunnies upstairs and my dogs are dachshunds we don't let them upstairs.
My dogs are really good with my older cat Tyler but not with Bean. They go nuts when they see her. They just wants to chase her. She pretty much stays upstairs - which she doesn't mind since she gets to lay on our bed.
It seems to me that the respect the cat demands can dictate the relationship. Since he is a baby maybe if you keep reminding the dogs he is just a baby and they need to be gentle it should help. I would never leave them unattended. Right now he is so tiny they could hurt him and not mean to.
Water bottles are great to train cats. They also sell mats that have nubs on it so it is uncomfortable if the kitty jumps on them. Put them on the counters and if the kitty jumps up they realize it is not a good place to be. I never used them so I am not sure how they would work. They also now have what looks like large pieces of double faced tape. When the kitty touches it since it 's sticky they don't like it. My dad has used it on the sides of the couch.
Or maybe try something as simple as tinfoil on the counter. If he jumps up there it should make noise and scare him.
Staying on top of him and just telling him no - if you start young and keep with it - should work. My friend trained her cats that way. Unfortunately, when they were moving and had to stay with her parents for a few months, their grandmom let them do whatever they wanted.
Good luck - and please post pictures.
and I think that bottle fed kittens are wonderful and silly - my Bean was bottle fed.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
kitten cat first