My kitten is driving us crazy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My kitten is driving us crazy

Ok so my cat is driving everyone in my family crazy, hes always jumping up places, eating plants, breaking stuff. i really want to limit him to certain places but ive tried everything, ive tried spray bottles, hissing, and even upside down tape. how do i get him not to jump up on things and break them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM

This is me and my kitten, Tobee!
Oh, hun. First of all, Casper is just a baby. You need to treat him like one. You baby-proof the house just like he is a baby you brought into the house until he grows up and learns the rules of the house. And, patience. Alot of patience. Kittens learn slowly, but they are smart and can learn their boundaries. Just put your things up that you don't want broken, until he grows up and learns where he can and cannot go. As for the plants, when I got my cats, all of my plants became "hanging" plants. It was a decision I made when I decided to become a cat owner. Some plants can be toxic for cats, so be careful. Before long, you will have a full grown cat that knows all of the do's and don'ts of the house and you will be missing the playful kitten that is driving you nuts now. So, go through your house, baby proof it, and try to enjoy that baby! That's why you got him, right? PM me if you need me. Charlene

Last edited by MzKityLvsBrdsTo; 02-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

as charlene stated casper is just a baby or may be at the point of toddler and pushing the limits to see what he can get away with.u will miss the hper kitten once it gets older. Just be patient and constant and he will learn the way things go in ur home.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok thank you

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

also, if you aren't that attached to em get rid of them, Our cat eats them and they are no fun to clean up when they vomit, or have litter box accidents.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Hello Earthling

As previous posters said he's just a baby and is just pushing the limits.

I've had kittens jump on the kitchen table pushing their limits, but with swift correction every time (a firm no and removal from the table) I was able to correct the problem so they would no longer be jumping on the table.

Anything breakable should be removed/moved to a safer location (i.e. somewhere high and out of reach)
Plants and food should also to removed/moved to a safe place. Many foods and plants are toxic.

If you don;t already have one a cat tree is a good investment, cats like to be high and be able to easily scan their territory.

With swift and persistent correction, you should be able to correct his behavior and teach him the rules of the house.

There is also various products on the market that keep cats of things (or at least they are supposed to).Cats don't like the feel on tape.You could try that (sticky side up)

Hope the helped. PM me if you need to

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM

you all may hate me for saying this but... i was raised old school so...
Spank the kitten. hold him by the scruff of his neck till his tail curls between his legs, give him a couple soft taps on his rump, look him in the eye and say NO!
then hold him close and pet him gently as an affirmation that you don't hate him and he'll get the point that you don't want him doing it and that you still love him. 5 minutes later he'll treat you like it never happened but he will remember.
and patience like everyone says... cause it will take several times.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Will It Ever Change?

my home is spray bottle mania. Lola knows when it comes out, because she then sits there deciding "do i want to do this enough to get soaked?" and you can see her thinking about it. I usually soak her, or something close to it. She only obeys the squirt bottle when I get her right between the eyes. Then, sometimes out of spite, she'll act like she's sucking up to you after being bad and getting sprayed. She'll jump on you, oh it's so cute, WAIT she's soaking wet! So I send her off, and then you can guarantee she's quiet and well behaved for the time it takes her to lick all the water off

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM

SothPaw, You knew you would get a rise out of me on that one! No, I do not agree with you. A firm "NO" will work just fine. Spanking is not necessary. And, if you need to do so, please keep it to yourself, I do not want to hear about it. Shame on you. They are babies!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I am allergic to maths

They are only kittens! Tell him NO, dont spank them!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have found you never win with cats, they just become more graceful as they get older.

We firm no-ed our cat for years, took him off the table, spayed him with a squirt bottle, even spanked him

He still is in the kitchen window above the counter where he isn't supposed to go and he knows it when we drive in the drive way... he's all meowy to great us by the door when we come in though.

he has learned to open doors, closets and so on... cats out smart their owners.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello Earthling

I would never hit a kitten or a cat for that matter.
The most I've ever done is a very light tap on the nose if they wouldn't let go of something they shouldn't have.

Hitting that cat only instills fear. You wouldn't hit a baby would you?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Hello Earthling

Scris129 take a look at this web page there is some pretty good tips on disciplining cats

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-54.htm

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Spanking or hitting the kitten or cat will only make the animal fearful and will not teach him what is right or wrong!

I use a squirt bottle with Bam.He is about 2-3 yrs old,but I adopted him as an adult and he has many behaviour issues.He can be fearful of new people and will bite.Anyway for the most part he doesn't try and get up on counters or tables (where I don't allow cats) or get into things,but on the occassion he does,I give him a squirt and that works with him.

Your kitten is just doing normal kitten things!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
kitting driving crazy