My kitty performed surgery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My kitty performed surgery

I would take a picture but its on my Stumic and thats something i really dont want to show... sorry.

Any way what happened was I was on the ferry and my best friend and I went to the deck to where her boyfriend was working. I was holding Trinity she had her harnes and her leashe on her. We were talking then the 1 minute warning 5 secend exstreamly loude horn blew. Needles to say she FREAKED out she tried climbing up me and one of her claws went into my stumic i have scartch that goes from the bottom part of rib cage to about my belly button. She wouldnt let my friend hold her or pet her she just wanted me to hold her (which i thought was strange).

I didnt put anything on it but i took a shower about 4 hours later cleaning it throughly. Is there anything that i should look out for. My roomate told me that i should make sure it doesnt get red or something because i could get some thing called "cat scartch" or something and i thought to my self "no, huh, you dont say, DUH lady its a cat scratch" then she said no its a bacteria and i would have to go to the hosipitol or i would die. since she seems to be an know it all and over esxagerates a lot of stuff i just wanted make sure that was something true and i should be worried about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just watch for any swelling or additional redness. Most of the time scratches aren't bad, but keep an eye on it. Typically cat bites are much more worrisome.

This is probably what she was referring to: Cat Scratch Disease

Stephanie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Wow thats really interesting... I wont worry. i think i will be ok . Thanks Steph!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

pfft! I had heard of Cat Scratch Fever but I thought it was a song. hehe... anyhow, skimming over that I don't think its anything to worry about.

I'd watch for maybe a little infection and scarring but otherwise... gees, I grew up scratch every other day of my life up at the farm. Darn barn cats. I think you'll be fine.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

it said something like ever 10,000 or 400 or something (ok i know huge number gap there it was a one and a large number) so i think i am safe

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Part of the Pack

Well, I hope it gets better.
From the many scratches and even bites that I've gotten over the years, I've never gotten an infection even if I didn't put anything on them but water.
If you want to lower the risk of infection you can try putting some neosporin on it but I don't think you have any diseases to worry about

My babies...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I know as most of you know my roommate was sort of evil... it was probably an evil skam to make me get rid of Trinity too.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I have been scratched so many times by my cats it's not even funny. I've never once gotten an infection, so I don't think you should worry too much. I probably would put neosporin on it or something, that way it'll heal a little faster.

Now, cat bites are another story. My husband was bitten many times by a cat and had to stay in a hospital. He felt faint, nauseous, couldn't stand and had red streaks going up his arm.

Karen

[

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

What causes the bite problems?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Miss New Booty

Yup, cat scratches are no fun. For me, when I get scratched for some reason I have a reaction to it, it get's all red and puffed up around the scratch for awhile. I wash it right away with soap and water, then always put neosporin on it. Brad got a horrible scratch from Ginger's back claws one day when she got spooked by something. He was walking out of the room, and she turned and pushed off his leg and gave him a huge gash, he has a scar from it. Hope it is healing quickly, Ariel!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Some people can have bad reactions from scratches as with bites but some cats have bad bacteria in their mouth or diseases that can cause more damage to a person if they got bit. When they scratch you, their saliva doesn't make contact with your blood or your skin so you have less you worry about. When they bite you, you have to worry about what the cat has, whether it can have rabies, other diseases, or bacteria.

My babies...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I got scratched very bad and have the scars but they didnt get infected. I even got scratched on the face.
My scars look worse than a cat scratch.
I hope yours dont scar

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I have some sctrach scars on my hand but there just red were the scratches are and will probably go away with times

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I get a reaction to cat scratches all the time...the last one was pretty bad, I got put on antibiotics, but I have a weak immune system...my daughter gets scratched all the time and nothing lol...scratches are wierd like that I guess, all mine scar, I put non scar stuff on Ashley...it seems to work...good luck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Its better no scarring no redness