my new kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

my new kitty

Some of you may already know of him from my previous thread about losing him, but for those of you that dont...This is my new kitty. I took him from one of my aunt's because they weren't feeding him. He was extremely skinny. Since I have cats of my own, I just set him up in my backyard (Please don't tell me anything about keeping him outdoors. I live in a really calm neighborhood and that's where he's going to be for now). He ran away when my mom opened the carrier door to put more food in. He didn't come back that night or the next but came the night after that. I was actually thinking of taking him to the vet today but he is never here during the day and I have no idea when he goes. They told me to trap him and just wait till morning to do that but I can't do it in the morning because we don't have a car right now and I would hate to leave him in the kennel all night long. I also have a problem with him scratching me. I'm at the point where I'm afraid to pet him because he slaps me. I wouldn't mind if his nails weren't so sharp. I cant trim them either because he needs them since he's outside. I try telling him no but he doesn't listen. Maybe I just need to keep telling him that until he gets the point.
Anyhow, here he is

And I was kind of worried about all the bald spots and his tail. I think he's a medium hair so I don't understand why he's tail is flat by his butt then goes to puffy on the back. I thought it was supposed to be all puffy. I think the bald spots are due to flea bites though. THis is his tail.

Any name ideas would be great, as I have no good imagination.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mm_simb; 05-19-2005 at 03:45 PM. Reason: to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Oh claudia hes very pretty... I wold think that its flea bites. Since he maybe me an out door cat you might want to get him on advantage. How old do you think he is? The vet will be about to determinet hat to the week but not the day. I know my cat was about 8 to 9 weeks when i got her... but i dont have her exact birthday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I called the vet to get him on advantage. I just have to catch him first lol. I actually have no idea how old he is. I just know he's younger than one year. I don't even know how big he's supposed to be as he is really skinny right now...steadily gaining weight
I bought Bio spot for fleas, ticks, and mosquitos...but I doubt I'm going to put it on. I had a big scare about over the counter flea meds when they showed something on the news about Hartz. It's not the same company but I'm sure the medicine works in similar ways. I know I'll eventually get him. He doesn't quite trust me since the last time. I don't really like that vet though...but he's the closest one. All I'm going to say to him is good luck...kitty has extremely sharp nails. He scratched me a few times yesterday and this was just play scratching.

My babies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

i think young kittens have really sharp nails... i read that in here somehwere i think. id say from the pictures maybe 3 to 6 months old... maybe somone can confirm that. My kats really skinny black kitty too

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

he looks like a Samson
I am so glad you caught him, go slow with him and i am sure he will come to you in time.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks for the name suggestion ninja

My babies...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Get yourself a pair of good thick gloves... leather I think works best but you can get canvas or something too. It makes it a whole lote easier handling them. Still be carefully though, and wear long sleeves with the gloves. If he wants ot scratch or bite he will aim for your skin.

I wouldn't worry about bald spots or thin fur just yet. He's probably got fleas and chews at it some. Also, may have gotten in some scraps with other kitties and the fur is just growing back. Cats are quite tough, they know how to survive the outdoors pretty well if that's where they're born. Good luck getting him tamed down.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. I'll use gloves next time I touch him. I know he's only playing around but I just don't want to be bleeding all the time from the scratches. He did try to bite me yesterday. Same story though...just playing around. He didn't bite hard at all.
He's a kitten who hasn't had much human interaction...I understand he wants to play all the time.

My babies...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He is very sweet looking.. Congrats!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Name suggestions Donovan which means dark warrior

Jade-its a female name but it represends black... i am all about naming animals for there color

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Think she is calling him Samson

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

hehe... ok

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Aw, I'm sure you'll be able to calm him down. Once he gets used to you and learns the boundaries he’ll play nicely. Sometimes… hehe sometimes, our kitties know they can’t bite us hard to break the skin. But they pinch it hard!

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww he's so adorable!

You probably already know this but just a reminder to make sure to wash your hands before touching your inside kitties after you handled him outside. Since you haven't gotten to take him to the vet yet, your not sure if he could be carrying anything to pass on to your kitties indoors. And be careful with getting scratched, too.

Good luck with him!!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I've been watching my hands pretty good when going inside. I even change my clothes. I finally got him the advantage for all the bugs he might have on him. I'll put it on tonight when he comes here. I think the shelter I volunteer in can give him the shots that he needs. I just need to catch him. I'm thinking I can try putting his food bowl in the carrier when I'm out there so he can trust it a little bit more. I also got him this little tube thing that you put a paper in with his info and attach it to the collar so if anyone finds him anywhere they wont take him to a shelter.
He lets me pet him now and even rolls over by me He hasn't scratched me anymore. I'm more careful about that. I'm actually not that nervous about the scratching. It's more about the biting. He only did that once though but he didn't break the skin.
Yes, his name is samson But thanks to all that suggested a name. And thanks for all the help

My babies...

Last edited by mm_simb; 05-21-2005 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
food bowl