My poor Donovan - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

My poor Donovan

He's all alone at the vet until Monday...He has unfortunatly developed some stones, which are causing blockage and he has had blood in his urine since 1:30ish am this morning. My poor baby! I can't believe this has happened to him! He's not quite 2 yet! And he's on excellent food...which the vet tried to bame it on...she must have been new, never seen her at the clinique before. My Reg. vet was in surgery, and so was my alternat clinic. So instead of having him suffer till sometime after 5 when they may have been able to see him, I let her examine him. So of course she asked what I was feeding him, and I said Royal Canine, and she was like, of that's awful food, no wonder he's got stones. It was all I could do not to hit her! ( obviously fresh out of school, not real world exp. ) So I politely asked what she would suggest and she said "oh I love Iams or Eukanuba" My jaw just hit the floor! I was like yeah, if I wanted to feed him cats and dogs, I'd take home the dead bodies form the pound, it's AWFUL food!!!!I was sooo mad, and had my other vet been available I would have walked right out of there! But since, I had no choice, I left him with her (My reg. Vet there will be the one actually TREATING him, thank god, once he's out of surgery). He was soooo sad, crying...I just wanted to hold him forever. I can;t believe they want to keep him to monday....Why do they need him sooooo long? That's 3 nights!The quotation is outrageous too, never mind and arm & a leg, I'm giving them my body! I just hopehe comes out ok......He's the sweetest kitty in the world.....He dosen't deserve this!

Please keep him in your thoughts, he needs all the comfort in the world right now...he doesn';t like being away from me.

*update* The vet just called, and they have found he has a heart murmur...My poor little guy As if he didn;t have enough problems.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Romping Ratties

OMG Lixx! That is the photo I am drawing for you now, the one I need to finish. I am so sorry to hear about Donovans stones. What a stupid vet. Iams? Ya right. I would have exploded if my vet recommended that to me!

Did they tell you how severe his heart murmur was? Houdini has a heart murmur and it has never caused her problems, and she is 6 years old. I will send a prayer for him right away! He was my favorite, which is why I chose to paint him.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

What a stupid vet. Iams? Ya right. I would have exploded if my vet recommended that to me!

I almost did! It was soo hard not to!

I'm not sure how bad the murmur is. He needs a scan, but it'll have to wait till next friday-my next pay...She said he could be perfectly find, or develope heart disease later in life....I hope he's ok....

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Oh gosh lixx I am so sorry to hear of Donovan's troubles. I will say special kitty prayers that he will be ok. I know how terrible it is worrying about a sick furrchild. Keep us posted on how he's doing. Can you visit him over the weekend?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Romping Ratties

Any updates from the vet?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Guy was able to visit him (unfortuantly I was working). He is doing well. The red cell blood count is down alot. He still has the catheter in, and is wearing a coller to prevent him from riping it and the IV out. He'll be ready Monday. I ca't wait to get him back. I miss him sooooo much!!!

Come drop by!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:26 PM

So sad to hear about your poor kitty! I know how frustrating it is to have a vet recommend cruddy food. Poor baby!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well, my baby is home! He's all better now! He'll be on a special diet for a month or so, to dissolve any remaining crystals. Then it's preventive maintenance, with lots of water and good food. The vet also suggested the reason he was so prone, is that he is not very well 'endowed' and has a very narrow ureathra. It was easier for him to get blocked. That you all for your well wishes! Donovan sends purrs and head butts to all!

Come drop by!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Romping Ratties

Aww, I am so glad to hear that he is back home. Thanks for the update. What did they say about his murmur?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I haven't gotten the ultrasound done yet...but I will have it done shortly. I will let you know what the vet says when I get it done.

Come drop by!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 PM

Yey Donovan is home! Kisses and head rubz and chin rubz from us all.

Tags
poor kitty, royal canin