My poor sick kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Unhappy My poor sick kitty

My poor cat Scout hasn't been doing well lately. He's 17 years old and losing his hearing. Over the past few months, once in a while he would poop outside of the litter box. I thought he was being picky and I scrubbed the litter box clean and refilled it and it seemed to work for a little while.
But over the past few days he has been pooping out of the litter box every single time and we are really stumped. I don't think he is doing this because it is hard for him to get to the litter box because he still uses it to urinate.

Also, he can't seem to keep any of his food down over the past day. He throws up his dry food before it is even begun to digest. So I gave him a can of wet food, which he also threw up a few minutes later. I could tell he was really hungry because he would run in and start chowing on his food, but he just couldn't keep any down. The only food I could get him to keep down was some beef baby food.

We called the vets office yesterday and got an apt. for the same day. They didn't really seem too concerned and even though he is older he has lost 2 lbs. in the last year, 1 of them in the last few months. They took blood and are gonna call us today with the blood results. They also gave him some antibiotics and fluids to help him feel a little bit better. So right now I guess we are waiting for the results and we will move on from there. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

if hes throwing up or u see he ends up getting the runs, try rice water it will help ease his stomach, im sorry your little ones going through this i hope he gets better soon. If hes going out of the littre to do number 2 he might have an infection and is just looking for a softer place to go to the washroom for that as he might of associated the pain with the littre box. please keep us updated on what the vet says

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
It's all for them

I'm sorry to hear Scout is doing poorly. It could be it hurts him to poop as Nibbler said, if he has arthritis, squatting can be painful, so he blames the box. Constipation also can cause this type of litter box avoidance.

The fluids will help him to feel better, the vomiting is very worrisome, let us know what the blood work results are.

Declawing: please read this first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks guys
The vet called us but didn't really let us know whats going on?? He said it could either be some sort of intestinel cancer or inflammatory bowel disease, both of which are not curable but treatable. Everything they tested for with the blood work came up negative.
He got a steroid shot of some kind so we will just have to wait and see how he is doing.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That was so heartbreaking, hope gets well soon. I remember my grandma's cat @18 years old, though he is not throwing up, he barely eat his food. Grandma just spoiled him with all food he wants and able to live for few months and enjoy his life before he pass away.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!