My question about cats... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

...okay. So my question is... say someone was looking into buying a cat. What breed of cat would you recommend to be the most playful, friendly, social and one that likes to bond? Also, preferably an indoor cat. I was thinking about buying a cat sooner or later but would hate to take the risk of someone stealing an outdoor cat (my neighboor had 3 of her outdoor cats stolen and never saw them again). So yes, if I were to look into buying an indoor cat... which breeds are more-so friendly than others? Any other advice you'd like to give?

My Pets:

[[2 dogs]] Snickers [mine] & Skooter [my mom's]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[[3 fish]] Peppermint, Periwinkle, & Peach Fuzz

[[1 Hamster]] Marshmallow

[[4 gerbils]] Basil & Paris [my pretty girls] and Posh & Buddy [my crazy men] =P

[[RIP]]

x Opal, Serena, Kiera, & Myles.
I love you all so much! You guys were awesome Gerbs. =(
I hope you're back together & having fun like you used to!

x Diablo (July 4th 1995 - Jan 15 2007)
I love you too Bobo! It hurts me so bad to know the pain you went through your last few months!

To all of you; my love. <33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

As far as I can see most cats can be all that you are looking for. They are most playful as kittens but some continue to play as they get older. I think it is easier to bond with the younger ones, but you can bond with most cats as long as you take the time to. As far as I can tell, getting a cat at a younger age (before 6 months) makes it a little easier for them to bond with you. Then again Millie was about 5 weeks when i got her and I think she was weaned too early so that's probably why she has such a strong bond with me!
I have a Domestic Short Hair Orange striped one. She is a handful but can be very loving most of the time. She had ringworm for a month so i couldn't handle her....that sort of made her a little more independent than she was. Now that she is all healthy she is a typical kitten, getting into EVERYTHING!! Here's a couple pics of her. The first one was when I first got her and the second one is from not too long before Christmas....after her hair grew back and she was no longer skanky.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:30 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I would say the same as I did in a recent thread http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32536
It really doesnt matter on breed as any kitten/cat can be loved and love back. I have even had my share of ferrals. Takes love and trust. My suggestion go to your local Humane society and rescue a homeless kitty. Believe me once you get in there looking there will be "one special" kitty that will choose you! Also I agree keep him/her as an indoor cat. It's possible the others werent stolen but met other fates due to traffic, dogs or just mean people who dont like cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for all the help guys
lol, yeah... I've heard so many sad stories of outdoor cats that I didn't want to try that again. Back when I was little, my mom and I were living back up in Detroit. We had this one very social cat, Danny. He loved to bond with people. But one day... my mom was looking out the window and she saw him sitting out on the sidewalk. Then this van of drunks pulled up beside him and hit him on the head with a beer bottle when he went to go see them. =[ He wound up dying, and it was very upsetting. The poor cat probably trusted people just a bit too much ...yep. So now I'd say it's better just to stick with an indoor cat... haha, we've learned our lesson. ...and yeah, I think getting a kitten from a rescue shelter would be best too! =]

Thanks again for the advice =D

My Pets:

[[2 dogs]] Snickers [mine] & Skooter [my mom's]

[[3 fish]] Peppermint, Periwinkle, & Peach Fuzz

[[1 Hamster]] Marshmallow

[[4 gerbils]] Basil & Paris [my pretty girls] and Posh & Buddy [my crazy men] =P

[[RIP]]

x Opal, Serena, Kiera, & Myles.
I love you all so much! You guys were awesome Gerbs. =(
I hope you're back together & having fun like you used to!

x Diablo (July 4th 1995 - Jan 15 2007)
I love you too Bobo! It hurts me so bad to know the pain you went through your last few months!

To all of you; my love. <33
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Newborn Pup

One of the most friendly, docile, and loving of breeds is the Ragdoll. I wouldn't buy anything else, if seeking a purebred... except maybe a Siamese. I don't know... I love all cats. My mixed breed kitten is very loving, too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I stick with mixed breeds... and possibly those poor purebreds that are getting thrown away becaus ethey aren't good enough. But mostly I pick out an outdoor cat and bring them inside. All our cats are rescued from outdoor by us personally but two and those two were from the outdoor but taken to vets offices to be shown for adoption.

I recommend adoption... give a cat a home that wouldn't normally have one. And its cheaper usually too.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Playful Pup

My advize: go to a shelter, and watch how the cats react to you! We did this with Zazou, who jumped on my lap within seconds. She is our sweetest lap cat now!!

Tags
domestic short hair, humane society, indoor cat, local humane society, mixed breed, mixed breeds, outdoor cat