Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

My recent horrifying experience...

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HappyDancer 
#1 ·
I had just returned home after being out of town for a few days, and right after walking through the front door I'd immediately saw blood, a few more steps inside and noticed cat vomit, ...not just one isolated vomit incident either, it appeared to have happened on several different occasions over a short period of time. Usually upon my arrival, both of my two cats greet me at the doorway, however, on this particular ocassion only one cat came to greet me. So, naturally yes, I was freaked out by seeing the blood and began looking around the house. Then I noticed the missing cat lying on my bed. When I approached him, I could tell that he was the source of the blood, and he was actually lying in a pool of both urine and blood. He seemed very distressed, and whenever I tried to touch him he'd let out a really low pitched sustained "MEOW!". I'd also noticed that periodically the muscles near his hind-quarters would contract and relax as if perhaps he was trying to pass something through. I had to try to find out where he was bleeding from, and since there was urine present, that was the first place I checked. Sure enough, blood was dripping from his penis. In any event, I needed to get the poor lil' guy some help, ..and fast. It was late in the evening, so I'd called the emergency number to my vet. He'd told me to get him wrapped up in a towel, then to meet him across town at his office w/out delay. After arriving, the doctor briefly examined him and said he suspected his lower urethra track had some sort of obtruction, and that this type of problem can be a life threatening ordeal if not addressed immediately. He said he'd have to "knock him out" with general anesthesia, then install a small catheter which would then enble him to pass urine (..as his blatter was completely full and could've potentially bursted in short order otherwise). Well, obviously he had to be hospitalized for further observation, however, 3 days later they'd finally removed the catheter, saying that he was peeing just fine on his own again, and decided that he could be sent back home. The vet also gave me a few cans "Hills c/d" which is a prescription diet food to help his problem. Sheesh man, ..talk about a horrifying experience to go through! Not just for the cat, but for myself as well!! At first, I really had my doubts, fearing that he was possibly going to die on me. Thank GOD for our vet's service!!

Since then, I've been doing a lot of research on this particular problem, learning that this commonly occurs mostly amongst male cats. I'm wanting to learn as much as possible about it, ...hopefully I can learn how I might possibly go about preventing it from re-occurring again. I've also purchased a really neat water fountain that was made especially for cats. Pretty cool invention I must say, ..it filters and cools the water, and shoots a stream of water about 3 inches or so into the air then back into a basin, ..looks kinda like a drinking water fountain. In any event, this is supposed to ultimately promote cats to drink more water.

If anyone knows more about this particular subject, and can maybe tell me a few things that might help, ...please advise!!! Much appreciated.

Thanks!
Robin

See less See more
#2 ·
Poor Kitty!! Glad you got him to the hospital ASAP! Blocked cats get irreversible kidney damage in a very short time.

A lot of vets prefer to keep a recovering blocked cat on SD food for a month and then go to CD. Just remember that your cat will need this prescription diet for the rest of his life most likely. I've seen people try to take their cats off of the diet because they don't like science diet only to have them block up again. Blocked cats are MISERABLE.

The water fountain idea is great!!!! Lots of fluids alone will help keep any crystals flushed. Canned food is your best bet. CD canned comes in chicken and seafood diet.

#4 ·
I am afraid I have no advice for you but I am so glad you got to him in time and got him to the vets. He is one lucky kitty and I am sure you think so too. I am so glad he is OK and I hope he will never have to go through this again....sending lots of healing vibes his way!

The water fountain sounds great and I am sure your cats will love it, I myself want to get one for our cats!

Take care

Eva xxx

#6 ·
Thanks all! Yes, he seems to be doing okay, but I'm watching him like a hawk, and continuing to feed him the food that our vet has recommended, ...Hill's C/D (formerly C/D-S) which apparently is a veterinary exclusive prescription diet food. Costs $1.00 per 5.5 oz. can.

Something that I'm troubled about, is the fact that prior to this incident, I'd been feeding him IAMS canned cat food. My cats LOVE it, and best of all, I get it free since my mom works at IAMS. Anyways, according to IAMS web site, it supposedly has an appropriate and safe acidic pH level so there is less chance of struvite crystals forming in urine. Well, I dunno about how true that claim is, as struvite crystals surely had formed in my cat, ...and he's only 2 years old. Sure, I know that many other variables can also play a role is this as well, but one can't help it but wonder, y'know.

Thanks again all!
Robin

#7 ·
What do some of you other cat owners feed your cats? I've also been putting a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in with their food once per day. Very curious to know if perhaps doing this could be having any substantial effect with pH level in his urine? If anything, I'd think that the grapefruit seed extract would help lower the pH level, thus employing an acidic enviroment less likely for struvite crystals to form in his urinary tract.

Sounds logical anyway, anyone know more about this sort of thing? Please advise.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Oh my gosh, what a scary experience!!!!! I'm so glad you got him to the vet and he is ok! :hugg2: I agree, the water fountain is a great idea to entice him to drink more water.

I am not too familiar with this situation or about the grapefruit extract but I think I've heard that, too, about putting a few drops in the food. Did your vet say how long he would need to be on the prescription diet?

I feed my cats and dogs natural foods. My cats eat Wellness, it is kind of pricy but a very good food. (When I give them canned, I think it's also $1.00, like the prescription food.) Other great foods my cats have tried are Natural Balance and Innova. I've heard great things about Nutro Max also. :yes:

Here's a few links if you want to check out some foods. :)

http://www.nutroproducts.com/completecare.asp

http://www.omhpet.com/cats/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=canCatTurkeySalmon

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/NB_CatCanned.html

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=inn-home

I hope that helped a little and glad he is ok! :hug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.