My Samson - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

My Samson

Well... where should I start. I guess the beginning helps.

Last week we found out we will be relocating to Arizona. Well, most likely. Nothing is 100% in the military, but its 90% sure. Knowing this, I knew that I had to thing about things.

This brought me to my heart wrenching decision. Probably one of the hardest i've ever had to make. I did a lot of crying, and am doing so now as I type.

Let me explain a bit. Samson does not travel well. He gets physically ill, and howls anytime he is in a vehicle. Knowing this, I knew the kindest thing I could do for him would be to place him in a forever loving home that is Permanant.

So, I placed the ad in the paper... knowing it was gonna take a while. He can't go to just anyone after all. Right away I get a call... this lady says "how do you think he will do outside?" ... CLICK... yep, she got dial tone.

So later, I get another call. This lady is really interested, and sound promising.. but my guard is up. She volunteered her references to me. She gave me her vet, a rescue org lady, and three friends/relatives. Yep, I called them all. While I called them, I directed her to my site to view pictures. They all gave her rave reviews.

I called her back and we talked at length about Samson, and his needs. She agreed (in writing) to everything I asked her, and promised to send pictures. It seemed like this was the right place for him.. but I had to discuss it with my family. We discussed it, and all agreed this was the right place and choice.

Before we took Samson I spent a good bit of time cuddling him and telling him I loved him. I think he knew something was up, because he rubbed all over me and purred the whole time. Then when the time came he went right into the kennel which he's never done before.

We met their family, and they were everything I had hoped for. I just didn't expect it to be so soon. They will be just what he needs, and they'll give him all the love he could ask for. I did a lot of crying, and made her cry... but as much as it broke my heart I knew i had to put his needs before mine.

This family has a special piece of my heart forever in their home. To Samson I say... "Nothing can change how much I love you... I only did what was best for you. I will love you forever"

My heart is broken, but I know it was right. I can only hope time will ease the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awwww I know that must be sooo difficult! I am sorry! I am glad you did so much background checking and question asking! That is wonderful, Samson is such a lucky cat to have you looking out for him. I know it will be hard to not have the little fellow any more, but at least you know he is going to a great home and you still get pics and stories too hopefully! I admire you for being able to do that for him, I keep thinking how hard it must be for you. I wish you and Samson the best on your new adventures.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am sorry you had to make that decision.It sounds like he got a very lloving home.You did good researching the lady.
I will keep you and Samson in my thoughts.I think Samson knows you were doing what was best for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Chrisanne your post made me tear up - I can actually feel your broken heart. What you did for Samson is so selfless - I can only imagine how much you will miss him, but try to take comfort in that he has a wonderful new home and lots of people to love him. I think what you did is so admirable.
I'll keep you in my thoughts...

[center]

[
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks ya'll. I appreciate the support. It means a lot to me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 PM

I too am dabbing my eyes right now after reading your post. I could really feel the love that you have for Samson. I believe that you did what was in his best interest and I think he understands that. It was great of you to do a lot of research on his new family and I'm glad it sounds like you found him a great new loving permanent home. I will keep both of you in my prayers in your new journeys in life.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:42 AM

Chrisanne, I am crying here for you. I know how difficult of a decision that is and how hard it must have been for you. (((hugs))))
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:09 PM

Chrisanne, what a lucky cat Samson is to having you looking out for him like that. It shows how much you care by just how much you did to find him a good home. I've had to re-home a dog that couldn't fit in here and I know how hard it is. I felt terribly guilty even though I knew in my head what I was doing was the right thing. So, just remember you did the right thing. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Maybe you could keep in touch with the family?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I truly appreciate all the comfort and support. It has helped a lot in the last few days.

Jodi, they have agreed to keep me updated and told us we could call anytime.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:39 PM

aww... poor you.. and poor Samson.. I could totally understand how you feel.. Im sorry you had to do that. but you did a good thing going thru what you did to find him a good home.. Im sure he will be happy..
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM

*wipes tear away* I'm so sorry you had to do that, but it was best for him. He knew you loved him, and I'm sure his new family will love him too. Your in my prayers.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Its great you found a wonderful home for him. It sounds like you found him a great new family. Hope you are feeling better soon!! By the way, he is a beautiful cat!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:44 PM

I'm so glad for you that you found him a great home. I know most people will let themselves be asked a ton of questions and will be very eager to answer them if they really have the animal's best interest in mind. I'm sorry you're so sad, but I'm sure Arizona will have lots of homeless kitties that you can make a wonderful new home for.

We had sort of the same situation with my cat. SHe was adopted in Germany when we were stationed there for 3 years. She had no intention of being left behind so she was eager to come back to the states with us. Then we (me, my dog and my cat) lived with my parents for 6 months waiting for housing to open up for us in New Mexico. Well she had a fondness of my dad and really wasn't thrilled with traveling again. She did move there with us and was very content. But then when we got out of the ARMY we moved home again and she did not want to do anymore traveling. She was back with my dad and very unwilling to travel at all anymore, so she became his cat after 5 years of being mine.

It's hard letting them go but when it's right for them it's the kindest choice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwww Chrisanne! Brought tears to my eyes as well. I'm so sorry you had to find him a new home, I imagine that was one of the hardest decisions you ever had to make. My thoughts are with you. We are all here for you!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!! Didn't mean to make anyone tear up