My Vet said this wouldn't happen! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question My Vet said this wouldn't happen!

We had my Kai spayed a few months ago, since then she's litterally trippled in size, she was over a year old (according to the vet) when she was spayed. Some neighbors who moved out of an apartment left her behind, so I took her in.
When we had her spayed the vet said that she wasn't likely to gain weight, or have any behavioral changes. Since then, like I said she's trippled in size, I'll try to get some pictures of before, and after. And she's not as cuddly as she was before, she doesn't want to play as much, but she does fight less with the other cats, because she just doesn't care. Dr Mac says there's nothing wrong with her....but I'm a little doubtful!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you gotten a second opinion?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I am allergic to maths

It is easier for cats and dogs to gain weigh after spaying (not so much with nuetering, im not sure why though), it is recommended to reduce their calorie intake. Spaying and nuetering can also affect behaviour, usually in a good way but sometimes you have to work with them to get that special bond back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, I haven't gotten a second opinion yet. The other local vet (that I don't see because she doesn't see rats) has no open appointments until the end of the month, so we're going then, but I just thought I'd ask!

~W.C. Fields
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Animals that aren't fixed go through many more calories in a day than those that are fixed. They're constantly burning off calories when not fixed, so if you don't decrease the amount of what they're eating...yeah..they gain weight.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I never thought they might be eating too much, but that makes sense. I'll try feeding them at a certain times. TY Flickering!

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

No problem Also, it's better to feed twice a day; once in the morning, once at night.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Newborn Pup

i've had lots of cats spayed and they ALWAYS gain weight and act a little different. My Ma-Ha was spayed a couple years ago. She's a chubbier than she used to be, but completely healthy. She's 8 years old and still has the energy and playfulness of a kitten, so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. It's totally normal.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

my moms cat amore who is a male is exactly like your female we got him neutured at almost 2 years of age, and he gainned weight, i wouldnt be to alarmed shes probably just eating alot more.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Part of the Pack

Lucy was a 6 month old stray when we took her in; skinny and looked starved. I've never had an overweight cat before, so I just kept the food bowls full like always. One day I noticed Lucy was getting quite a fat belly. (We got her spayed as soon as we took her in) I cut her back on the food, but she just gets fatter and fatter. She's 22 lbs. now! One of the vets really scolded me for it, but my favorite vet said he had one cat that was like that, too. Some are just more likely to be fat, just like people. She's almost 10 now and she still plays, too. Her only problems are: she can't keep herself clean so I have to bathe her, and now that she's getting older she's scared of heights and won't jump up on stuff any higher than the couch. I have pictures of her in my profile if you want to see the progression!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah if she's overweight now you really should reevaluate how much food she is eating a day. If she is gaining a lot of weight, she is getting too much food.

All my pets that can be spayed/neutered thus far have been, and I've never had an overweight pet. I make sure they get plenty of exercise and monitor what/how much they eat.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cats get their portioned out food twice a day, all of mine are fixed, and all of mine are big lol...Frahnz is 16 pds (lost a bit when he was sick) but the vet said hes not fat at all, he is just one giant cat lol (hes bigger than my cocker spaniel lol) then theres Twitch, shes just chubby, beautiful, but chubby lol...Leo is not yet a year old and he started putting on the pds even before he got fixed lol. If you worry about the weight talk to your vet about a special diet and just how much to serve them...I dont worry about their weight, I portion out their food because mine will eat til they get sick lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Betta Bomb

Overweight animals, caused by food intake and exercise, whether they are spayed or not requires attention. Never mind getting mad at the vet bc "boo hoo they said it would never happen" its still your responsibility to provide adequate exercise and proper portions to maintain the ideal weight of your pet.
My mom's cat is after doubling in size since her emergency spay. Her head remained small and her feet are petite but her mid section is giant. Poor thing. Imagine how uncomforatble that is! I think its a form of neglect to let it happen personally.
Obviously, the OP was not prepared for the weight gain bc a vet is a trusted member of the community but now is the time to work on it. Tell the vet that your pet gained the weight and let others know who do not know about spaying and calorie intake shifts etc. . .
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
my cats get their portioned out food twice a day, all of mine are fixed, and all of mine are big lol...Frahnz is 16 pds (lost a bit when he was sick) but the vet said hes not fat at all, he is just one giant cat lol (hes bigger than my cocker spaniel lol) then theres Twitch, shes just chubby, beautiful, but chubby lol...Leo is not yet a year old and he started putting on the pds even before he got fixed lol. If you worry about the weight talk to your vet about a special diet and just how much to serve them...I dont worry about their weight, I portion out their food because mine will eat til they get sick lol
I agree.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Overweight animals, caused by food intake and exercise, whether they are spayed or not requires attention. Never mind getting mad at the vet bc "boo hoo they said it would never happen" its still your responsibility to provide adequate exercise and proper portions to maintain the ideal weight of your pet.
My mom's cat is after doubling in size since her emergency spay. Her head remained small and her feet are petite but her mid section is giant. Poor thing. Imagine how uncomforatble that is! I think its a form of neglect to let it happen personally.
Obviously, the OP was not prepared for the weight gain bc a vet is a trusted member of the community but now is the time to work on it. Tell the vet that your pet gained the weight and let others know who do not know about spaying and calorie intake shifts etc. . .
Yes.

Since this new member seems determined to revive all the old threads, I'll comment too.

Spaying and neutering cats does NOT cause weight gain. Feeding too much, and not exercising them enough is what causes weight gain.

When a cat becomes an adult her caloric needs drop drastically. A kitten needs up to twice as much food as an adult cat, not only because she is active, but because she is still growing. When she stops growing, even if she is still very active, she no longer needs as much food.

Feed measured portions of a high quality mostly canned food diet, on a schedule and play interactive games with your cat every day to keep her mentally and physically stimulated. This will keep her at a healthy weight.

Some cats seem constantly hungry. Adding a little water to the portions, and feeding smaller portions more frequently can help kitty feel more satisfied.